Zero no Tsukaima Joint Collaboration

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

What do you think of a possible joint zero no Tsukaima Novel Collaboration?

Fantastic idea! I hope it is successful!
91%
Interesting, but I have my reservation....
6%
No, I think this is a bad idea.....
2%
Stupid. what are you thinking?! Just for Sushi-Y? your Crazy!
1%

Total votes: 110

the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by the_naming_game »

Why do I get the feeling that this is onizuka-gto posing as a guest, just so he can spread the rumor that he is indeed, on crack? Clever.

Baka-Tsuki: "you too, can be like us; just ask around for the good stuff."

Kawool:
I don't usually ask people about their avatars, as I'm not registered on most of the forums I browse, but since I obviously am here -- who's that in your avatar? The Nagato Yuki-like calm expression, combined with the Yuuna hairstyle (Kage Kare Mamoru. She's basically a ditz.) intrigued me.

And ever since I learned how to lookup kanji by radical, I've been practicing with anything that looks interesting. Having your image backwards was pretty sneaky though. It would have taken me a lot longer to figure it out if I hadn't recognized the last character. Can anyone help translate this?

"引越皃了"

Is that even Japanese? The "了" character is pretty common at the end of Chinese sentences.

Here's what I got from wwwjdict.
  • 引越 【ひっこし】 (io) (n,vs) moving (dwelling, office, etc.); changing residence; ED
  • 皃 6226 [6606:e1a4] U7683 B106 S7 XJ04B46 【貌】XN4483 V3865 MN22686 MP8.0069 P2-5-2 Q2621.0 Ymao4 Wmo Wmag ボウ バク かたち かたどる countenance; appearance (This character seems to be uncommon.)
  • 了 【りょう】 (n,vs) finish; completion; understanding; (P); EP
So "transformation completion"? Sounds a little "magical girl."

More on topic, I guess
Nice to see an influx of new translators. Reminds me that I'm about 10 chapters behind in my Mahou Sensei Negima reading. I'm current on Zero no Tsukaima, needless to say.

onizuka:
I think he means image editors, though manga scanlations need normal editors too. So you can never be 100% certain.

release formats
I can sort of see how someone might prefer images to a pdf, since you have more freedom than with a pdf -- not to mention, illustrations in a pdf are always scaled. It's nice having a document format of some sort, though, since you can do word search. Omanga actually releases script for their scanlations, which helped a lot when I was looking for a certain quote in "Freesia"

The wiki format is nice just because it's hard to get things perfect the first time, and over time it accumulates lots of little notes and tidbits of translation/cultural information linked from the text.

That's the nice part about it anyway. I'll paraphrase "Sluggy" and say that "nudist beaches are nice, but there's one problem -- quality control." However, in my experience on this wiki, I haven't seen many problems with this. Having a full history of every document helps a lot. Of course, anything from the wiki will need a final run-through before it's fit for release in a more permanent format. It's the nature of the medium -- fluid.

Needless to say, I'll be collecting all formats, though.
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

as nothing is official yet i would rather have this talk 'groups/staff only'.

i dont feel like browsing xxxxx pages just to get only a few revelant and important posts.

Also i submitted a typesetting sheet, at the workload forum.

@the_naming_game
my avatar is Kuga Natsuki from Mai Hime/Mai Otome series <3
Se-chan
Astral Realm

Post by Se-chan »

Actually, both Kawool and I agree for PNG instead. Good format-wise, I think it's user friendly too.

And to think, it's compressable...

Second, we have the abundance, we just need to organize on who's who to do the work.
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

the_naming_game wrote:Is that even Japanese? The "了" character is pretty common at the end of Chinese sentences.
WaKan to the rescue! :D

That character is mainly used in Chinese (as you said), although there are a few Japanese words that use it:
  • 終了 shuuryou [suru] - end, close, termination
  • 了承 ryoushou [suru] - acknowledgement, understanding
  • 終了後 shuuryougo - after the end (of something)
  • 完了 kanryou [suru] - completion, conclusion
  • 了解 ryoukai [suru] - comprehension, consent, understanding, roger!
  • 修了 shuuryou - completion (of a course)
  • 満了 manryou - expiration, termination
  • 了 ryou [suru] - finish, completion, understanding
  • 魅了 miryou - fascination
And a few others that aren't so common. (I only asked WaKan for the more common words. 9 of 17 words shown.)

/me goes off to study these new words...
the_naming_game

Note: any further comments I have on collaboration logistics will go into the collaboration forum. The following is miscellaneous stuff.

"don't feel like browsing xxxxx pages just to get only a few relevant and important posts."
Vindication! That's exactly what I was talking about way back when I made my phpbb forum mod proposal here. It's basically a mod to browse all recent posts on one page, plus some basic by-forum, by-category, by-topic-list filtering ability. (php source code available from that link as well)

The demo should still be running here, if the firewall didn't spontaneously reset and close that port.

I wish every forum I visited had a similar feature -- it'd save me a lot of time. Well, what would probably end up happening is that I'd read more, and end up with the same amount of time unsaved, but...

Mai Otome
The funny thing is that I read a little of the Mai Hime manga awhile ago, and never got into it, partly because it was on a site where you had to click through one by one, instead of downloading whole zip files. To compare, I read through 11 volumes of "Ichigo 100%" clicking through one by one. What can I say; somewhere around the part where they introduced Kitaooji Satsuki, I was hooked.

I've since learned better ways of mainlining manga. I'll have to check out Mai Otome, even if it's just for the art. It's the eyes that do it for me.

@SubordinateFive (I liked Kawool's notation so much that I'm stealing it.)
That's just too many words to memorize. I do vaguely remember seeing some of those kanji before. I really have to see these things in context before a word make sense to me, though.

I seem to recall hearing something like
  • 了解 ryoukai [suru] - comprehension, consent, understanding, roger!
a lot in anime, with the same meaning, so if that's the same term, then I'm definitely adding that one to my vocabulary...
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

So guys, when we start ? so far i see no one except for Oni n me posting at the collaboration forum ..come'on or else Louise will whip your butts !
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

the_naming_game wrote:I seem to recall hearing something like

了解 ryoukai [suru] - comprehension, consent, understanding, roger!

a lot in anime, with the same meaning, so if that's the same term, then I'm definitely adding that one to my vocabulary...
You're right, it's the same term. It's used a lot (as you said), so you'll have it memorized in no time.
the_naming_game

@Kawool (unnecessary, but "foolish consistency" is my middle name.)
Kawool wrote:come'on or else Louise will whip your butts !
-- you say that like it's a bad thing... :P

I just posted in the collab forum, by the way. Be careful what you wish for...

@SubordinateFive
It's actually pretty amazing the latent vocabulary you can get from watching anime. And once you learn even a little bit of Japanese, that only snowballs faster, since you can start picking out even more words.
Se-chan
Astral Realm

Post by Se-chan »

I got Onizuka by IRC(well he visited me), and here's what came in

- First of all, we kinda argued on either using a PDF-wiki type of format, or try to stick on the original pages and just edit-translate them back. Well, as far as originality and purity is concerned, k-neko and I go with the latter.

- Second, we also would like to know the basic fontface for the whole novel. A font that all 3 groups agree to use, so that everytime someone starts work, it's going to be still the same format, same style.

- Third, division of work, k-neko stated 2 TL's on a chap(works fine). CG editors should come on all shapes and sizes, so that's fine too. Typesetting is fine as long as there's the fontface mentioned. And to note, let's try getting a schedule on getting every chap done, and tell someone from any group if they need help in the work.

- Distro might be settled, if we're to pick the latter, as RAR'ed files served on IRC/Direct DL on site(works much like manga chaps).

- We also have the abundance of proofreaders and quality checkers, so basically, we can rest assure that the work is good to go

- Lastly, I need the group leaders' opinion on what was tackled last night
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

Se-chan wrote:
- First of all, we kinda argued on either using a PDF-wiki type of format, or try to stick on the original pages and just edit-translate them back. Well, as far as originality and purity is concerned, k-neko and I go with the latter.

i guess we are ok on that part, one group releases on wiki se-chan's and i on png
Se-chan wrote: - Second, we also would like to know the basic fontface for the whole novel. A font that all 3 groups agree to use, so that everytime someone starts work, it's going to be still the same format, same style.
- Third, division of work, k-neko stated 2 TL's on a chap(works fine). CG editors should come on all shapes and sizes, so that's fine too. Typesetting is fine as long as there's the fontface mentioned. And to note, let's try getting a schedule on getting every chap done, and tell someone from any group if they need help in the work.
I used two fonts. i'll had them on the collab forum. As for the translation, i have only 3 pages ready. One of my translators was supposed to do chapter 3-4 (that was before i got the collab offer and i dont have updates so far). Again more details at the collab forums
Se-chan wrote:Distro might be settled, if we're to pick the latter, as RAR'ed files served on IRC/Direct DL on site(works much like manga chaps).
Like i mentioned before i prefer bt as peers have to share too and it keeps the link alive (unlike http which just kills your server bandwidth lol)
the_naming_game wrote:@Kawool (unnecessary, but "foolish consistency" is my middle name.)
Kawool wrote:come'on or else Louise will whip your butts !
-- you say that like it's a bad thing... :P
you're right , i'll ask to Osman .
Se-chan
Astral Realm

Post by Se-chan »

We also use that, k-neko. It's widespread, so of course we have that as an option.

Also, what chaps are done already? How many pages all in all per chap, including the CG's?

Thirdly, who's working on what right now?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Oh yay on the wiki thing.

anyway, seems like kawool translators have already started on chapter one, so it seems logical that her translators continue working on it.

I would se-chan to get one of her translators to work on this chapter too, as sushi mentionthere are about 30 pages long, so roughly 15 pages each.

I won't say anymore, we can continue this discussion in the collaboration forum.

Se-chan you can enter the collaboration forum you know, you don't have to keep posting here....
:D
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

anyway, seems like kawool translators have already started on chapter one, so it seems logical that her translators continue working on it.
no, just one translator and like i said only 3 pages done so far. read the collab forum...question then whats the purpose of that thread as we have already the collab forums ?
Cala-kun
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Zero no Tsukaima

Post by Cala-kun »

Err, hello... Se-chan sent me here. I'm one of the KH t/l'ers, who's currently working on the ZnT manga. While I'm quite new to actually contributing to a scanlation team, I thought that: 1, doing the novel is a fairly natural extension of what I'm already doing; and 2, I enjoy a mental challenge like this (my Japanese still has some way to go).

So yeah, I'm just here to... report in, I guess.

Feel free to contact me on Gmail: 'cala1019', on MSN (there should be an icon for that somewhere on my post...), or either of AQS or KHS IRC channels. Or just tell Se-chan everything so he gets the pleasure of 'acting boss' and give me orders. Whatever works. ;)
Se-chan
Astral Realm

Post by Se-chan »

Lol, acting boss... Don't compare me to Athos, you

Return to “News”