Enlistment! Dedicated Project wide Editors wanted.

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Enlistment! Dedicated Project wide Editors wanted.

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Randomdude wrote:Well, even though I've already seen several messages about this, I will also join the ranks of the Wiki n00bs and humbly ask (a.k.a. beg pathetically) for advice/guidance upon what I should do to help out on the translations/editing for Zero no Tsukaima.

As I possess a decent mastery of the English language, I can edit, but I really want to learn how I can help you guys translate it from Japanese(?) to English... I mean, come on, I need somthin' to do during the summer!

Also, I just realized this after the message failed to post the first time, but why can't I put the Username I registered with in the... box, thing at the top when typing in the information for the posts?
First off welcome to Baka-Tsuki. 8) How much experience do you have with translations and foreign languages?
findingemo
Astral Realm

Post by findingemo »

Hi, I'd be happy to edit Toradora XD.

I already signed up on the wiki as "nemu".

I'm pretty proficient in English, it being my first language.

Hope that you'll be able to get some use out of me. hehe.
Kris
Astral Realm

Post by Kris »

I was going to say i would help..but I didn't see the requirements. I just signed up purely for this chance, but, like I said, i didn't see the whole thing about 4-6 weeks of activity. Which I obviously do not have. However, if you can ignore that, I'd love to help. I don't really care what i work on, but I've read most of what you have up on ZnT and Toradora! (which the vol 1 ch 6 is annoying me, not being finished.) I have an A+ in English and will be as dedicated as they come- as long as there is work to do. Please, at least consider me. If not, I'd love to help in any way possible... ^^

Also, I'd love to learn how to translate from Japanese to English. It's easily one of my dreams ^^

~Kris
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

How does that guy have zero posts? :lol:
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Hax hax! :twisted:
Kris
Astral Realm

Post by Kris »

Actually, I don't know how I have 0 posts. Maybe the posts on this topic don't count, since this is the only topic I've posted at.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Haha, this thread is actually locked in an alternate dimension. :twisted: And now... SO ARE YOUR SOULS!
wushuboy
Astral Realm

Post by wushuboy »

I'm not qualified on Wikipedia for the 4-6 weeks, however I believe I meet the other qualifications.

-I was an editor for my school yearbooks, school webpage creator, & school newspaper.
-Currently web designer & admin for my karate/kung fu dojo (http://www.seacoastmartialarts.com)
-proof-read as teacher's aide for a high school english class.
-have been a personal tutor in english (and math) previously.

-I really enjoy helping out and cross-training in any area I can
-I'm looking forward to getting more practical experience translating between English and Japanese
-have had experience reading, writing and speaking English, Japanese & Mandarin Chinese.

If I do not qualify for a formal position, I would still love to be a backup editor, grammar fixer or at least a continuity guy, which I helped with on an independent film (The Present)

Particularly I have interest in the novels for Zero no Tsukaima. I wish Baka-Tsuki was doing Shakugan no Shana as well, but I do realize Viz has licensed them and already published up through volume #2, so no big deal. :D
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

wushuboy wrote:I'm not qualified on Wikipedia for the 4-6 weeks, however I believe I meet the other qualifications.

-I was an editor for my school yearbooks, school webpage creator, & school newspaper.
-Currently web designer & admin for my karate/kung fu dojo (http://www.seacoastmartialarts.com)

-I'm looking forward to getting more practical experience translating between English and Japanese
-have had experience reading, writing and speaking English, Japanese & Mandarin Chinese.

If I do not qualify for a formal position, I would still love to be a backup editor, grammar fixer or at least a continuity guy, which I helped with on an independent film (The Present)

Particularly I have interest in the novels for Zero no Tsukaima. I wish Baka-Tsuki was doing Shakugan no Shana as well, but I do realize Viz has licensed them and already published up through volume #2, so no big deal. :D
The 4-6 week deal is the least of our worries. As long as you are fluent in English, which it seems you are, then you already have a good foot in the door. The other foot comes with the "dedicated" part, thus the 4-6 week part came in to prove that you were here to last a while.

Register your name on the Wiki and start getting a feel of the editing process. There are a few guides and guidelines posted here in the forum if you need help with terminology and what-not. We'll give you a quick run to show what you've got. If it's good, you're in. :P

Oh and dreams aren't always meant to be broken... We ARE as of about 10 mins ago going ahead with the Shakugan no Shana translations. 8) Until we get the Cease and Desists at least. :twisted:
Mies
Astral Realm

Post by Mies »

Perhaps I may be of assistance with this. I'm not certain if I'm of the right qualification for applying, but I'll give it a shot.

I have made some edits to the Wiki.[1] Although most of the time I'm not apparently active, I still skim the wiki changes for the day and make certain everything's on the up and up with them; that is, no ads/malicious posts, abnormal edits, etc.. I also check the forum for topics of concern as well, and try to participate in topics. I also pop into the IRC every once in a blue moon and join in on the chatroom insanity.[2]

As for the quality of my English, I suppose that lies in the eye of the beholder, because grammar is such a fluid area of study. I've use the Chicago style for much of what I've written/edited, so some of the punctuation and usage are — for lack of a better word — stiff, but the end result feels clean, concise, and complete.

On a less important note, I'm skilled with computers by my trade. I know quite a bit on software development, system administration (Windows and *nix), and other computer science topics. For a while I wanted to help with the Full Voice version of Clannad, but OCaml is such a ...unique language for me to work with. I think I'd ask more questions about the language than being of assistance to everyone XD.

Regardless of what comes of this, I'll still peck away at this Open Translation Project. So much to edit, so little time...

———

[1] Link
[2] Note: the expression, not the measured forty-one months.

edit: Drat that last paragraph! The last sentence was horrid, and is now corected.
Last edited by Mies on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Mies wrote:On a less important note, I'm skilled with computers by my trade. I know quite a bit on software development, system administration (Windows and *nix), and other computer science topics. For a while I wanted to help with the Full Voice version of Clannad, but OCaml is such a ...unique language for me to work with. I think I'd ask more questions that reconstruct XD.
All functional programming languages are "unique" to say the least... I only know one person who actually codes in OCaml or anything similar to it.
wushuboy
Astral Realm

Post by wushuboy »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:
wushuboy wrote:I'm not qualified on Wikipedia for the 4-6 weeks, however I believe I meet the other qualifications.

The 4-6 week deal is the least of our worries. As long as you are fluent in English, which it seems you are, then you already have a good foot in the door. The other foot comes with the "dedicated" part, thus the 4-6 week part came in to prove that you were here to last a while.

Register your name on the Wiki and start getting a feel of the editing process. There are a few guides and guidelines posted here in the forum if you need help with terminology and what-not. We'll give you a quick run to show what you've got. If it's good, you're in. :P

Oh and dreams aren't always meant to be broken... We ARE as of about 10 mins ago going ahead with the Shakugan no Shana translations. 8) Until we get the Cease and Desists at least. :twisted:
Alright then. I'm a member of the forums and the wiki, so I'll start some serious editorial run-throughs tomorrow through the holiday weekend! (Aren't holidays great for jump-starting any project?). As for now, I'll just start getting my feet wet with editing the previews, since the incomplete ones may end up being replaced per the guidelines (? Am I right)

As far as translating, what does the B-T community recommend for dictionaries/MTs/etc ?? I don't yet have the raws for either Japanese or the Chinese-port of ZnT, so if anyone knows where I can get digital or otherwise versions of the raws, that would be fantastic.

My apologies for sounding so 'new' at this, however I'm eager to contribute to this project!
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

wushuboy wrote:As for now, I'll just start getting my feet wet with editing the previews, since the incomplete ones may end up being replaced per the guidelines (? Am I right)
The ~preview~ aren't really incomplete.
I don't yet have the raws for either Japanese or the Chinese-port of ZnT, so if anyone knows where I can get digital or otherwise versions of the raws, that would be fantastic.
I will send them to you.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Excuse me but..where have you seen incomplete previews?

At least in ZnT case they are all completed. (except for the last one which i am currently translating). Not fully edited? Maybe, but definitely completed in terms of translation itself.

As for what to use... In Japanese case - ATLAS and JWPCE is a must. JWPCE is for free, ATLAS V 14 is not but you can always get cracks... Another MT would be Systran (as it does good job with kana, since ATLAS sometimes screw up in there) and a few other dictionaries of your own choice.

Don't ask for raws. I already tried to put up raws and was not permitted. It is against rules. Just PM people who do you think might have those (good choices - Vaelis and me).

And dont get your hopes up about previews getting replaced. yes originally that was the idea but originally the previews were just a copy-paste crap from free online translations like google translation or babelfish... Right now previews are almost on the same level as actual translations and translators seeing that there is a preview now rather go and take other chapter rather than trying to retranslate the previewed one...

yes potentially - they should be replaced...But actually - they probably never will...
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Darknemo2000 wrote:Excuse me but..where have you seen incomplete previews?
At least in ZnT case they are all completed. (except for the last one which i am currently translating). Not fully edited? Maybe, but definitely completed in terms of translation itself.
It's kinda a coincidence, but I've send a pm to onizuka-gto two hours ago to ask him if it was possible to remove the word "~preview~" on the project page because people were confused by it (and to let the ~preview tag~ only at the beginning of the chapters).

Return to “News”