C&D letter from Hachette Book Group

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

quethiril
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: C&D letter from Hachette Book Group

Post by quethiril »

I didn't mean to direct everything at you, even though your comment was the one I quoted. It seemed like some people were arguing that our translations were fanfic and therefore legal. And yes, while "all fanfiction is illegal" isn't true, neither is "all fanfiction is fair use and therefore legal."
swiftstrike
Kyonist

Post by swiftstrike »

I guess this was bound to happen, with Haruhi being so popular and all.

btw it says Jan 20, 2009 in the main page of Baka-Tsuki; it didn't take a year to respond did it? :wink:
Read and edit along the way....that's my style.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

It says 2010... at least for me...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
FNX
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]

Post by FNX »

quethiril wrote:I didn't mean to direct everything at you, even though your comment was the one I quoted. It seemed like some people were arguing that our translations were fanfic and therefore legal. And yes, while "all fanfiction is illegal" isn't true, neither is "all fanfiction is fair use and therefore legal."
they were arguing about the genderbending as legal or not, not the whole translation if im not wrong
Last time i post something from a PS3
La unica manera de medir la vida es por medio de la pasion de vivirla...
Hinokai
Astral Realm

Post by Hinokai »

Damn, such a shame. All that effort lost.

And if you don't have personal copies, you'd have to use google or something to find somewhere that like, caches old pages or something.
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

It is generally accepted that unless it is under the Creative Commons license or something more flexible, any fan work derived from copyrighted items is 50:50 when it comes to its legal status - i.e. a gray area.

Please don't friggin tell me it's not a gray area, or you will receive a piece of my mind. :twisted:

And let me tell you why:

Back when I was a member in that other anime fansub forum, when I initially volunteered to do the Toradora translations, this insufferable know-it-all (can't and don't want to remember his name, but still remember he had his location marked in Dublin, Ireland) had the balls to call me a pirate and say black is black and white is white, basically branding all fansubbers and translators as criminals. I can't remember what I said to him, but it probably wasn't anything pleasant, and I went and invited every fansubber that I knew to come in to join in his inevitable fall from grace, as well as inviting B-T members who have accounts there to neg-rep the SOB before I called it a day and went to sleep.

But as is with their tradition, the thick-headed mods there not only deleted the entire discussion, allowing the dickhead to escape scot-free, they even gave me an infraction for "inciting hatred" because of comments I made here. WTF man? How dare they tell me what or what not to say OUTSIDE THEIR F*CKING JURISDICTION!? Since I'm no longer an active member there, I might as well reveal that the insufferable mod that did this to me goes by the name of xris. (Please go f*ck yourself)

(That was just the beginning of my growing resentment on the mods and pricks of that other forum, for more on their antics which led to my eventual exile in disgust from there, refer to this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2373&start=15 )

Anyway, I have to thank that prick, for it is his narrow-mindedness that has motivated me to translate Toradora faster, just to spite him. Everytime I slack off, I would think of him, and got back to work.
swiftstrike
Kyonist

Post by swiftstrike »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:It says 2010... at least for me...
Weird, but that doesnt matter anymore lol. (since its fixed either way)

On topic: well...i guess one could always use google translate(with horrible grammar and stuff) on the chinese/other language version that's still up on other sites
Read and edit along the way....that's my style.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

On the plus side, everyone can read my Yuki fan fic. It's not licensed! Let's put it up on the wiki as a Haruhi place holder.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Dan wrote:On the plus side, everyone can read my Yuki fan fic. It's not licensed! Let's put it up on the wiki as a Haruhi place holder.
Seconded!!~
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Dan wrote:On the plus side, everyone can read my Yuki fan fic. It's not licensed! Let's put it up on the wiki as a Haruhi place holder.
Brilliant idea :O

/thirds
/me claws out throat and dies
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Oh good god, haha. As ridiculous as that is, I'm game. 8)
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

We can have a fanfic area around here, people posting all their fanfics on B-T.

Fifthed!
Sharramon
Project Translator

Post by Sharramon »

My god why didn't I notice this place sooner?

The mourning seems to have gone on without me T.T

I noticed Haruhi was down two days ago! It was such a huge shock! Eurgh..... this is horrible but companies are companies and having something like the BT TLs up would get in the way of making money..... all everyday business. Gah!

Well then we'll just have to translate harder than ever to try and fill that HUGE hole left by the absence of two such great novels if it's even possible!

I wonder if the official translators are going to use the BT TLs to work with or if they're just going to be doing it from scratch.... hmmmm.....
Last edited by Sharramon on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody move! Anybody who moves is the culprit!
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

O_O now that you mention it, yeah......
ShadowZeroHeart

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Sharramon wrote:My god why didn't I notice this place sooner?

The mourning seems to have gone on without me T.T

I noticed Haruhi was down two days ago! It was such a huge shock! Eurgh..... this is horrible but companies are companies and having something like the BT TLs up would get in the way of making money..... all everyday business. Gah!

Well then we'll just have to translate harder than ever to try and fill that HUGE hole left by the absence of two such great novels if it's even possible!

I wonder if the official translators are going to use the BT TLs to work with or if they're just going to be doing it from scratch.... hmmmm.....
They will probably do it from scratch. If they use our TLs, they are infringing on our side. Besides, even if they do ask, do you think B-T will allow them to use our TLs?(Consider that we still have to take ours down).

And yes, if possible, I would think the translate harder part would be good. So I do hope the affected translators do post at the other thread to let me/us get a small glimpse of what you guys may work upon, if any. This incident is currently having quite a big impact on B-T, though i am pretty sure most of us have seen this coming eventually, so let's discuss and see what we can do about them?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!

Return to “News”