C&D letter from Hachette Book Group

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: C&D letter from Hachette Book Group

Post by onizuka-gto »

Well the one good thing for us, is our open arm policy for alternative language projects.

This alone, will ensure there will always be traffic on the wiki, however this does not necessarily mean this will keep the same number of active users on the forum.

But the idea of a blog isn't half bad, been entertaining the idea of learning Mandrin and/or Japanese lately.

I'll be popping over to Taiwan this Chinese New Year to have a short holiday (outside onsen anyone?!! YAY!) and maybe check out what's the language schools are like over there. Might just see what they got in light Novels. :)

Might as well think about further education since i'm a N.E.E.T at the moment.... :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

What happened to your office job? And if you're a NEET what the hell have you been doing? :?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:What happened to your office job? And if you're a NEET what the hell have you been doing? :?

I quit my office job.

Flew over to Hong Kong to look for a job.

unfortunately came over just before Christmas, been in party mode ever since.

It was like having a holiday, but for longer then two weeks, it was like I rediscovered FUN.

I must of spent close to £1000/$1630 within three weeks, (just on DRINKS) I don't even want to look at my bank card, I feel dirty and ashamed (Well not right now, but last weekend, when I smelt of alcohol and something...something else...)

But yeah, Taiwan huh....I heard the girls there are like Japanese like....well that's what my Dad tell me, common knowledge he tells me.... :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Well, they're rather outgoing... And don't get surprised if one pops out in some sort of cosplay outfit out of nowhere. The style of clothing for most are rather...... spicy? And dun get me started on the schoolgirls in Sailor uniform......

Once you get to Taipei, dun forget to check out Shilin night market.

Anyway, since Shana is about to be taken off the boards, I guess an announcement can be made.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Teh_ping wrote:Anyway, since Shana is about to be taken off the boards, I guess an announcement can be made.
Shana and ZnT are safe at the moment last I checked.

And I guess I'm somewhat of a NEET right now as well. I head out to the Air Force OTS in April, so until then I'm a bum. 8)
Moe_Ronn
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Moe_Ronn »

Since the Haruhi Theaters aren't part of the 9 novels, it doesn't need to be removed does it?
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! ......wait what was I doing again?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Moe_Ronn wrote:Since the Haruhi Theaters aren't part of the 9 novels, it doesn't need to be removed does it?
As far as I know they were not mentioned in the C&D, so they can be left as they are.
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

Kinny Riddle wrote:It is generally accepted that unless it is under the Creative Commons license or something more flexible, any fan work derived from copyrighted items is 50:50 when it comes to its legal status - i.e. a gray area.

Please don't friggin tell me it's not a gray area, or you will receive a piece of my mind. :twisted:

And let me tell you why:

Back when I was a member in that other anime fansub forum, when I initially volunteered to do the Toradora translations, this insufferable know-it-all (can't and don't want to remember his name, but still remember he had his location marked in Dublin, Ireland) had the balls to call me a pirate and say black is black and white is white, basically branding all fansubbers and translators as criminals. I can't remember what I said to him, but it probably wasn't anything pleasant, and I went and invited every fansubber that I knew to come in to join in his inevitable fall from grace, as well as inviting B-T members who have accounts there to neg-rep the SOB before I called it a day and went to sleep.

But as is with their tradition, the thick-headed mods there not only deleted the entire discussion, allowing the dickhead to escape scot-free, they even gave me an infraction for "inciting hatred" because of comments I made here. WTF man? How dare they tell me what or what not to say OUTSIDE THEIR F*CKING JURISDICTION!? Since I'm no longer an active member there, I might as well reveal that the insufferable mod that did this to me goes by the name of xris. (Please go f*ck yourself)

(That was just the beginning of my growing resentment on the mods and pricks of that other forum, for more on their antics which led to my eventual exile in disgust from there, refer to this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2373&start=15 )

Anyway, I have to thank that prick, for it is his narrow-mindedness that has motivated me to translate Toradora faster, just to spite him. Everytime I slack off, I would think of him, and got back to work.
Ugh, my countryman let me down...
I am tempted to find out what forum you're referring to and troll that person..

Anyway, on the subject of fanfiction, if it went to court, it would almost certainly be a common law issue.
As far as I know, there is no case law on the matter, so at present, fanfiction is legal in most common law jurisdictions, though I wouldn't put it past certain courts in the US to have something on it. I'll check it out

In civil law jurisdictions, it's fairly certain that that, unless copyright laws specifically mention derived works of that nature, any challenge against fanfiction would be struck down.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote: And I guess I'm somewhat of a NEET right now as well. I head out to the Air Force OTS in April, so until then I'm a bum. 8)
Holy Haruhi! TGM is going Top Gun!

The first thing that went though my mind...

Maverick: They gave you your choice of duty, son. Anything, anywhere. Do you believe that shit? Where do you think you wanna go?
TGM: I thought of being an instructor, sir.
Maverick: Top Gun?
TGM: Yes, sir.
Maverick: Haruhi help us.

*shudder*

oh, I got GOOSEbumps! scary. :roll:

@Onizukademongto
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I have a friend going to the AF in March as well. I was going into the Navy in April, but I gave up on that. FREEDOM!

Why would Shana be in danger? I think it was announced they wouldn't be coming out with more since they weren't selling well.
quethiril
Project Translator

Post by quethiril »

IrishHaremOtaku wrote:Anyway, on the subject of fanfiction, if it went to court, it would almost certainly be a common law issue.
As far as I know, there is no case law on the matter, so at present, fanfiction is legal in most common law jurisdictions, though I wouldn't put it past certain courts in the US to have something on it. I'll check it out

In civil law jurisdictions, it's fairly certain that that, unless copyright laws specifically mention derived works of that nature, any challenge against fanfiction would be struck down.
In the U.S., copyright is a matter of federal statute, not common law. I don't believe there is any U.S. case law on fanfiction per se but in Anderson v. Sylvester Stallone the court held that an unauthorized Rocky sequel was an infringement and not entitled to copyright protection of its own. So, it is possible that any fanfiction that is sequel-like in nature would be considered copyright infringement.

For discussion of fanfiction in particular, check out the law review article by Leanne Stendell called "Fanfic or Fan Fact: How Current Copyright Law Ignores the Reality of Copyright Owner and Consumer Interests in Fan Fiction." (It's been quite a while since I've read it myself, so I don't remember what it says, but at the time at least I thought it was thorough enough that there was no point in anyone attempting to write another article.)
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Dan wrote:Why would Shana be in danger? I think it was announced they wouldn't be coming out with more since they weren't selling well.
Unfortunately, they still have the license, and thus can sue us whenever they want to because they have it and we don't, not to mention they actually already sold two books already. Though inactive, it is still considered an infringement on our part.

Look on the bright side though, big boss has agreed to reinstate the series if there are no new books released. Reminds me of the Michael Vick case......
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

quethiril wrote:
IrishHaremOtaku wrote:Anyway, on the subject of fanfiction, if it went to court, it would almost certainly be a common law issue.

In the U.S., copyright is a matter of federal statute, not common law. I don't believe there is any U.S. case law on fanfiction per se but in Anderson v. Sylvester Stallone the court held that an unauthorized Rocky sequel was an infringement and not entitled to copyright protection of its own. So, it is possible that any fanfiction that is sequel-like in nature would be considered copyright infringement.

For discussion of fanfiction in particular, check out the law review article by Leanne Stendell called "Fanfic or Fan Fact: How Current Copyright Law Ignores the Reality of Copyright Owner and Consumer Interests in Fan Fiction." (It's been quite a while since I've read it myself, so I don't remember what it says, but at the time at least I thought it was thorough enough that there was no point in anyone attempting to write another article.)
I presumed fan fiction would not be specifically mentioned in US copyright statutes, and would therefore be a matter of case law having to be made to clarify it.
i.e. a common law matter.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

tgm is going to the air force
Dan was going to the navy
shadowheart graduate from a army mechinc

what's next a ninja army lead by batman or something?

so is that why tgm been traveling? to get a taste of last freedom before subjected to the AF? or you want to be like Owen Wilson from behind the enemy line?

baka baka baka

Return to “News”