Full Metal Panic Translation?

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!
Poke2201
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Full Metal Panic Translation?

Post by Poke2201 »

Well lets give it 6 months and see if anyone else takes it up. After that, its going to be the same way as we took with Shana.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Sacredus
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sacredus »

Since Tokyopop had resurected I wonder if they plan to resume relesing FMP...
Bdw. FMP is already fully translated so I don't see point to even start this project :P
JbstormburstADV
Astral Realm

Post by JbstormburstADV »

Actually, if it was me, I would be more concerned with this project sincer I heard that Kadokawa bough Media Factory. That could mean some interesting things if they plan on getting into direct distribution, a la Kodansha. As for Tokyopop, they're worthless. Stu Levy should let his career die in a ditch.

And as for why to do this translation, Sacredus, I will state that all of the .pdf's I've seen so far are complete messes, not to mention that the translations are bound to be different for each release. Therefore, consolidation is best.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

I will make this clear. We wait 6 months until we actually talk about this again. Shana had the 6 month wait, so if there is enough fan interest in FMP by May, I'd give it a chance.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Finnzo26
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Finnzo26 »

If this doesn't happen does that mean the the new FMP light novel series Full Metal Panic! Another would also not get translated any time soon? (in which case I must find some one to teach me Japanese)
j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

learn and then translate it for us :)
Finnzo26
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Finnzo26 »

OK know any body near southern New Hampshire that could teach me rather learn from a person than on a computer.
JbstormburstADV
Astral Realm

As no one seems to remember this thread, I'm going to necro this as a favor.

Now, as those of us who have followed this thread remember, the six month grace period is over, which means now that since FMP! is no longer owned by Tokyopop, there needs to be consideration into whether we will see a Baka-Tsuki translation of Full Metal Panic. For those of us who are knowledgeable of the series, you know the fan release history for this; there is no complete, unified, quality translation, and it could get even worse since I don't een think there is a translation for Full Metal Panic Another yet.

I may not be a member here, but what I do know is that I have followed this series for a long time, and not seeing it done justice is somewhat of a shame. So, I believe that we should do this for the good of the fans, and hopefully, this won;t end up like the other project here I followed, the Tomoyo After translation.
Sacredus
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sacredus »

I'm still against it. Resurrecting Shana was/is already too much risk, and you want another book that was released in US? Also, like I said before it's already fully translated, so there's no point to starting this project. Another thing is that you can't be sure that Tokyopop will never back too FMP (I had seen some news that they want back to releasing manga).
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

JbstormburstADV wrote:As no one seems to remember this thread, I'm going to necro this as a favor.

Now, as those of us who have followed this thread remember, the six month grace period is over, which means now that since FMP! is no longer owned by Tokyopop, there needs to be consideration into whether we will see a Baka-Tsuki translation of Full Metal Panic. For those of us who are knowledgeable of the series, you know the fan release history for this; there is no complete, unified, quality translation, and it could get even worse since I don't een think there is a translation for Full Metal Panic Another yet.

I may not be a member here, but what I do know is that I have followed this series for a long time, and not seeing it done justice is somewhat of a shame. So, I believe that we should do this for the good of the fans, and hopefully, this won;t end up like the other project here I followed, the Tomoyo After translation.
I'd bet that Yen Press will pick it up.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Finnzo26
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Finnzo26 »

Well to be honest I read all of the translated light novels for FMP and while it still got the story across the translations ended seeming butchered near the end and I would love to go back and read them again if they were translated coherently. I'm also quite curious of the story for FMP Another as it looks cool and interesting so if it ever does turn into one of your projects I'd want to be first in line to read or help in any way I can (I can't read the language though I would love to learn how, but I do help my friend with proof reading to make sure there are no spelling mistakes or other grammatical errors).
JbstormburstADV
Astral Realm

Kira0802 wrote:
JbstormburstADV wrote:As no one seems to remember this thread, I'm going to necro this as a favor.

I'd bet that Yen Press will pick it up.
Actually, I talked once with someone from Yen Press while I was at one of their industry panels (can't remember whether it was Anime Boston or New York Comic Con) just a bit after I learned Tokyopop went (and thus, its licenses) and I don't believe that FMP! is of any relevant priority ATM. Besides, if it was going to be picked up by anyone, they would have done so by now, since its almost been a year now that Tokyopop has folded. After all, look at what happened with Geneon's licenses.
Finnzo26 wrote:Well to be honest I read all of the translated light novels for FMP and while it still got the story across the translations ended seeming butchered near the end and I would love to go back and read them again if they were translated coherently. I'm also quite curious of the story for FMP Another as it looks cool and interesting so if it ever does turn into one of your projects I'd want to be first in line to read or help in any way I can (I can't read the language though I would love to learn how, but I do help my friend with proof reading to make sure there are no spelling mistakes or other grammatical errors).
This is the exact reason why I think Baka-Tsuki should do this, as not only were the translations spotty throughout, but just try to get similarly formatted release, what with the non-uniform inclusion of forewords, postscripts, and even footnotes, if necessary.
TaleWeaver
Astral Realm

Post by TaleWeaver »

I've come across about three different translators working on various FMP! novels, and while at least one translator is excellent, several of them are VERY rough (and I still can't find a complete translation for BOMF). How about a project manager putting out a call for people who've already translated it, and ask if BT can host them? BT could pick and choose the good translations, and maybe get a staff member to polish the others? (I can recommend the guy who's done all the side arms short stories and both parts of always by my side. He said he MIGHT be interested in !another when it comes out. I certainly hope so!)

FMP is far too good a series to languish like this - when I said several of the translations were very rough, I wasn't kidding! I still only have a basic understanding of what happened in several of the novels because the translation was so grammatically incorrect. I had to read a chapter each day or get headaches!

If by some miracle (I'm sure I heard somewhere that once the series proper finished, at least one more season of the anime was supposed to be commissioned) the novel license WAS picked up by another company, then BT could simply put up an announcement and erase the links to the translations.

If there's some news I've missed, by all means please let me know!
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

TaleWeaver wrote:I've come across about three different translators working on various FMP! novels, and while at least one translator is excellent, several of them are VERY rough (and I still can't find a complete translation for BOMF). How about a project manager putting out a call for people who've already translated it, and ask if BT can host them? BT could pick and choose the good translations, and maybe get a staff member to polish the others? (I can recommend the guy who's done all the side arms short stories and both parts of always by my side. He said he MIGHT be interested in !another when it comes out. I certainly hope so!)

FMP is far too good a series to languish like this - when I said several of the translations were very rough, I wasn't kidding! I still only have a basic understanding of what happened in several of the novels because the translation was so grammatically incorrect. I had to read a chapter each day or get headaches!

If by some miracle (I'm sure I heard somewhere that once the series proper finished, at least one more season of the anime was supposed to be commissioned) the novel license WAS picked up by another company, then BT could simply put up an announcement and erase the links to the translations.

FMP is licensed so we won't have it here.
zensunni
Elite Haruhiist

Post by zensunni »

larethian wrote:
TaleWeaver wrote:I've come across about three different translators working on various FMP! novels, and while at least one translator is excellent, several of them are VERY rough (and I still can't find a complete translation for BOMF). How about a project manager putting out a call for people who've already translated it, and ask if BT can host them? BT could pick and choose the good translations, and maybe get a staff member to polish the others? (I can recommend the guy who's done all the side arms short stories and both parts of always by my side. He said he MIGHT be interested in !another when it comes out. I certainly hope so!)

FMP is licensed so we won't have it here.
Actually, it WAS licensed. All of Tokyopop's licenses reverted to the original license holder when they folded. The first 5 volumes are published in the US, with the 4th and 5th begin published as one volume, but the remainder of the novels, starting with Dancing Very Merry Christmas, are nolonger licensed in the US. (Also, it is practically impossible to get your hands on a copy of the first three, as well...)

That is the reason this thread was resurected a while ago.
Now blogging at Nabe!!.

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”