Japanese Novels : Untapped gold field

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Japanese Novels : Untapped gold field

Post by onizuka-gto »

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that anorther group has already translated FMP novels i would of suggested them.

I think ~Japanese novels are an untapped gold field.

if only we can get my hands on the Banner of the Stars (Sekai no Senki ) Sci-fi novel, the anime was a great drama, but i wish i could read it too....

:( :( :(
Bababaa
Astral Realm

Post by Bababaa »

The Sekai no Senki novel series is licenced by tokyopop and the first release is set for 09.12.06...

Unless I've read the name wrong...

Link here
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

coool!

there goes my loan.... :roll:
Da~Mike
Astral Realm

Post by Da~Mike »

Untapped gold field perhaps but otherwise a general nightmare to translate...

I'm well aware that my Japanese is still nowhere near proficient enough to attempt to translate but I can only imagine how excrutiating it is to translate each and every character as precisely as possible before the editing...
I tried my hand at deciphering the first chapter of The Melancholy of Suzumi Haruhi (I got the raws off a torrent one of the guys listed in the wiki) and bloody hell...
That's when I decided I will most certainly leave the translating to the translators, and I'll edit where I can...
psieye
Astral Realm

Post by psieye »

Hmm... how difficult is the text in the Shakugan no Shana novels? Sushi-Y once did say they were a relatively straightforward read. Then again, we could try for Escape from the School - by the same author who does Suzumiya Haruhi.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ooooh.

escape from school!

what is that about? escaping from...er...school?

:P

sounds exciting.... in a deliquent sorta way... :D
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Talking about light novel, just saw Boogiepop novel.

I had to get it.

just the Haruhi novels, it's got manga pictures in it now and again., besides that its just like a novel.

:)

never would of thought this was the foundation for the anime... espeically in light of the newly announced live action version of it. :p
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Cruzz
Astral Realm

Post by Cruzz »

onizuka-gto wrote:ooooh.

escape from school!

what is that about? escaping from...er...school?

:P

sounds exciting.... in a deliquent sorta way... :D
Very quick look at the back cover of volume 1:

Escape from the School!

A school filled with espers in the mountains - The Third EMP Academy. I don't even have any special powers, but for some reason I'm here. For 6 years already at that. The reason for this is clear. It's because of the ghost of a girl fluttering around right behind me. Her name is Haruna. She's my little sister who died in an accident 6 years ago, or atleast was supposed to have died. The day after the accident she appeared as a ghost and started sticking to me like glue. Though she's a ghost, her outward appearance is still changing as if she was aging, but the problem is what's going on inside her! You could say she cares for her big brother, or that she isn't ready to distance herself from her brother, or that she has a brother complex...

On top of this, there's the people who are the Third EMP Academy. Why is it that each and every esper has to be a weirdo?
........I want to get out of this place as fast as possible!

Anyway, apparently the Escape from School series starts out a bit weak, but gets better towards the later novels.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

hey, thats sounds...coool!

:P :P

brother complex kinda clinched it for me.....

@Onizukademongto
dogtato
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by dogtato »

hey you have a brother complex too?

:)
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

no. but i wish my sisters did.

at leased it'll stop them abusing my wallet. :cry:

@Onizukademongto
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by the_naming_game »

Escape From School
Brother complex is always a plus. I don't know, I guess I like being shocked a little. I guess my life is a little too boring? The esper + school + reluctant protagonist angle had me doing a double take, but I guess it's to be expected, since it's the same author. From the description, it seems to be lighter stuff than the Haruhi novel.

But -- previous works from the same author always help flesh out what's going on in his mind. The Haruhi novels are still ongoing, but ... if it ends abruptly, then perhaps we'll be left with nothing but Evangelion-esque pondering over minutae. And when that time comes, those extra references will be helpful.

Shakugan no Shana
To anyone who's read any of the novels, I have a question.

(not really very spoiler-y, not asking about plot points, but general plot flow and character depiction.)
Spoiler! :
Is it dominated by a villain-of-the-week plot, like the series was? And is Yuuji as bland as in the series? I don't know -- I guess I like tortured characters. (Go Kyon!)

I did like the part at the beginning where he spent the day with the Torch before she disappeared. He seemed to get over all of that pretty quickly, though.
speaking of novels...
Does anyone know if "Les Thibault" has any sort of underground popularity in Japan? I've noticed it mentioned in "Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora" and in a manga called "The Yellow Book."
Freak Of Nature
Astral Realm

Post by Freak Of Nature »

How about Iriya no Sora, Natsu no UFO? That is a popular series of light novels, and while I haven't read them yet, the anime was stunning.
Nidema
Astral Realm

Post by Nidema »

The Seikai no Monshou series is licensed by Tokyo Pop

the Seikai no Senki series is not.

I personally would like to see the Seikai no Senki series be picked up by this group. Its a great series and deserves to be released to the english community

i hope u guys consider picking up this series. it has a great fanbase as well

hell, i am even willing to donate and sponsor some funds to see it get released
Nidema
Astral Realm

Post by Nidema »

PS

I will be getting the Seikai no Senki novel and I am willing to scan my copy if you guys decide to pick it up.

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”