[Old] Baka-Tsuki Android App: BakaReader

Forum for volunteer developers working on Baka-Tsuki related applications (Baka-Reader, BTprince, etc).

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kojiro_S
Astral Realm

Re: Official Baka-Tsuki Android App: BakaReader Available no

Post by Kojiro_S »

kira0802 wrote:
Kojiro_S wrote:"This item cannot be installed in your device's country."

I want to cry...
Also, shouldn't it be be country's device? :lol:
Ahaha you're right. It's copy-paste though, so it's Google's fault, not mine xD
andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by andyrobo123 »

Zan wrote:Haven't looked at all the novels but for Index, it only shows two actual chapters up. There are five total entries but the rest are illustrations.
Strange, I haven't tested all novels but I thought I had tested Index. I will fix this ASAP.
If anyone finds other novels with missing chapters please let me know.
Kojiro_S wrote:I'm in Chile (which is only two letters off haha).
I don't know why it doesn't install in Chile (or any other country), I will look into this and see if I can fix it.
thelastguardian wrote:On a slightly unrelated note, is it just me or is the 'eyeball' icon a bit freaky? I mean, you have to press on the eyeball to select the item.
I am crap at image editing, it took all my skill to find the eye picture on the internet (with a usable license) and strip the color out to get the enable/disable affect. I could change the eye to a star if people think that would look better. If not I am happy for someone to create a better image for the app use.

Edit:
New version is out.
It should display all index chapters, it might take a few seconds to add them all to the database when first updating the list.
Kojiro_S you should now be able to installed the app, if you still have trouble please let me know. If anyone else has this problem please let me know.
Baka-Tsuki reader for Android phones/tablets.
Search for "BakaReader" in Android market place or download from http://market.android.com/details?id=co ... bakareader
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I am crap at image editing, it took all my skill to find the eye picture on the internet (with a usable license) and strip the color out to get the enable/disable affect. I could change the eye to a star if people think that would look better. If not I am happy for someone to create a better image for the app use.
You heard him people, get cracking with the Photoshopping!

Not sure what's the dimension requirements, but try and keep it small, or until Andy post the specifics here, either it's that or it will go to a star symbol, because to be honest the eyeball scares me too....no offence Andy! :shock:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

A star would work just fine. Have it outlined for non-watched, and filled in for watched.

*Edit* Did these in about 2 mins with Paint. I don't have PS installed atm so I can't be of more help.
Spoiler! :

andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by andyrobo123 »

onizuka-gto wrote:Not sure what's the dimension requirements, but try and keep it small, or until Andy post the specifics here, either it's that or it will go to a star symbol, because to be honest the eyeball scares me too....no offence Andy! :shock:
I have changed the eye for a star. I would have used the star to start with but I didn't know it was available until after I had done the eye. I would wait and see what the star looks like before spending to much time designing new ones.

If someone wants to design a new picture then I will need one picture for "on" and one for "off". The images need to be in PNG format with a transparent background. Each image needs to be done in 3 different sizes 72x72, 48x48 and 36x36.

I hope to release an update next week with the new star icon and the ability to go to the next and previous chapters without returning to the chapter list (as requested by EusthEnoptEron)
Search for "BakaReader" in Android market place or download from http://market.android.com/details?id=co ... bakareader
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

wow nice app O.o itll really be handy for those that have an android =D ty

.....now i need an android D=
DeuS
Astral Realm

Post by DeuS »

Also food for thought, since we are viewing these on mobile devices, it may be prudent to consider a "night" mode. Anki droid has this feature where the colours are inverted on the screens that will be viewed the most, in this app's case the chapter reading pages. So the background will be black and all the text will be white, this does not affect readability at all due to the contrast between background and foreground is still the same. The whole point of a night mode is to save power since with the back ground black, the device uses less power to display all the content. While you do not have to put this on top priority since it is not a bug, this feature should be thought about since power consumption is also an issue with mobile devices.
Kojiro_S
Astral Realm

Post by Kojiro_S »

[quote="andyrobo123"]
Kojiro_S you should now be able to installed the app, if you still have trouble please let me know. If anyone else has this problem please let me know.[/quote]
Thanks a lot. It installed just fine just now and works like a charm.

I've got a question. Right now, I'm browsing through a couple novels using my wifi network. Is the app caching just the novel chapters I'm actually opening, or does it also get a few of the following ones?
andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by andyrobo123 »

DeuS wrote:Also food for thought, since we are viewing these on mobile devices, it may be prudent to consider a "night" mode.
I will look into adding this is the future.

Kojiro_S wrote:I've got a question. Right now, I'm browsing through a couple novels using my wifi network. Is the app caching just the novel chapters I'm actually opening, or does it also get a few of the following ones?
The app only caches the chapters that you open, so to cache 10 chapters you need to open all 10. The next version will have the ability to go to the next and previous chapters of a novel without going back to the chapter list. This will make caching multiple chapters easier as you can just keep hitting the menu button and selecting next chapter without going back to the chapter list.

Edit:
New version is out.
Pressing menu when reading a chapter lets you go back and forward thought chapters.
Eye image has been replaced with a star.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

this is epic...truly epic...but as for me, I'm still in the day of the i. the iPhone...

if there was an app for the iPhone for viewing, that would be epic...but apple charges an arm and a leg just to get developing rights... :evil:
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Well there is one thing i find slightly annoying, is because the zoom is based on tapping the screen, occasionally while i'm about, i'll accidentally change the zoom.

It's a little thing, but i never had this problem with Amazon Kindle reader app, which fix it to a sliding scale that you can choose and lock the zoom.

It would be great if we can get an option to enable this, also the inverted colour scheme for night reading is something I used a lot on Amazon Kindle app, so i can't wait for that.

Once again, thanks for the app Andy!
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by andyrobo123 »

onizuka-gto wrote:Well there is one thing i find slightly annoying, is because the zoom is based on tapping the screen, occasionally while i'm about, i'll accidentally change the zoom.

It's a little thing, but i never had this problem with Amazon Kindle reader app, which fix it to a sliding scale that you can choose and lock the zoom.
A sliding scale would take some time to make, for now I am going to add an option to disable zoom. This way people who don't use it or find in annoying can just turn it off.

onizuka-gto wrote: also the inverted colour scheme for night reading is something I used a lot on Amazon Kindle app, so i can't wait for that.
I have looked at this and I am working on adding an option to allow users to set the color of the text and background for reading chapters. I would like to add a button in the chapter reader menu, but I have not been able to find a fast way of changing the colors after a chapter has been displayed. I don't think people would be happy with pressing an option in the menu and finding it takes 2-5 seconds to redisplay the chapters.

It looks like the app has really taken off, it currently has over 250 downloads.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Congratulation Andy, it's because you are quick to respond! It's always about good customer feedback in my opinion.

Looking forward to further tweaks! :D :wink:

@Onizukademongto
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Hi, I just registered to say thanks for this awesome app, I had to make a long trip and I survived reading LNs thanks to this!
Anyway, like Kojiro_S, I'm from Chile and couldn't even find the app on the Android Market. I had to search for it on the web version of android market on my PC and found out it wasn't available for my country, so I used MarketEnabler to fake a US provider and installed BakaReader via web. It would be nice if you could make the app available for Chile and other countries affected (I don't think we are the only ones, right?) because even though there is a way to make it work, it needs a rooted device and I don't think everyone knows or will be willing to do it.
And I think I've found a bug with the next chapter button: it works fine, but when I change the orientation of my Galaxy Tab from portrait to landscape, it goes back to the previous chapter. It doesn't happen if I open a chapter from the list, only after I press the button.
Well, tha'ts all, thanks again for your work!
Seba
Astral Realm

Post by Seba »

It seems I forgot to log in before posting and ended up doing it as a guest. Anyway, sorry and feel free to ask me anything about the feedback of my previous post if that can help to improve your app

Return to “Developers and Code”