[Old] Baka-Tsuki Android App: BakaReader

Forum for volunteer developers working on Baka-Tsuki related applications (Baka-Reader, BTprince, etc).

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Official Baka-Tsuki Android App: BakaReader Available no

Post by andyrobo123 »

Guest wrote:like Kojiro_S, I'm from Chile and couldn't even find the app on the Android Market. I had to search for it on the web version of android market on my PC and found out it wasn't available for my country
When was the last time you checked the market? I believe I had fixed this around 14th June. If it still isn't showing up in the market for you I will take another look.
Guest wrote:And I think I've found a bug with the next chapter button: it works fine, but when I change the orientation of my Galaxy Tab from portrait to landscape, it goes back to the previous chapter. It doesn't happen if I open a chapter from the list, only after I press the button.
Yes thats a bug thanks for reporting it. It will be fixed in the next version.

Next version should be out Sunday or Monday and will include:
Fix to the above bug.
The ability to change the color or text and background when reading chapters.
The ability to disable zoom when reading chapters.
App will use less memory when downloading web pages, some people have reported the app runs out of memory and crashes.
Baka-Tsuki reader for Android phones/tablets.
Search for "BakaReader" in Android market place or download from http://market.android.com/details?id=co ... bakareader
Seba
Astral Realm

Post by Seba »

andyrobo123 wrote:
Guest wrote:like Kojiro_S, I'm from Chile and couldn't even find the app on the Android Market. I had to search for it on the web version of android market on my PC and found out it wasn't available for my country
When was the last time you checked the market? I believe I had fixed this around 14th June. If it still isn't showing up in the market for you I will take another look.
You were right, I checked the market again and now I can download the app without problems, thanks!

And I've found another bug with Utsuro no Hako tables, this time in volume 3. I took screenshots for comparison:

BakaReader:

Wiki:

The chapter in question:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... e3_Round_1
andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by andyrobo123 »

New version of app is out.
Seba wrote:And I've found another bug with Utsuro no Hako tables, this time in volume 3.

The chapter in question:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... e3_Round_1
There are two tables not being displayed in this chapter, both should now be fixed.

Please let me know if anyone finds more bugs.
Search for "BakaReader" in Android market place or download from http://market.android.com/details?id=co ... bakareader
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

mmm....is anyone having trouble downloading from the Android market?
It was fine yesterday, just installed a new app...

maybe it's just my phone....or maybe it's just the Far East Asia Region?

Well, let see if i can get BakaReader installed from my laptop....

Edit: Can't do that either! It'll try and download, but then be unsuccessful, and not just BakaReader, all apps for me.

Would appreciate if anyone has any feed back on this, if it's just me, can some send me the latest version in .apk format? I seem to have no problem downloading and installing .apk files.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ah, i can now download and install from the Market now! :roll:

That's the one thing i don't like about the market, it sometimes works and sometimes don't and you never really know what's going wrong... :lol:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ben1234 »

I usually just spam the download button when that happens =D

And may I suggest a bookmark function? Or at least someway to keep track of where I left off
andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by andyrobo123 »

onizuka-gto wrote:ah, i can now download and install from the Market now! :roll:
Not sure why it wasn't working for you, I didn't do anything so it must have been a problem with Google. If it happens again I will post an apk for people to download.
ben1234 wrote:And may I suggest a bookmark function? Or at least someway to keep track of where I left off
I have been thinking about that was well, I an not sure what the best way to do it would be. At the moment I am thinking of changing the color of the text in the chapter list for chapters that have been opened before and have an option that lets people mark individual chapters as read/unread.

Does anyone have a better idea of how they would want this to work?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Actually been thinking about this, I think changing the colour might not be the best way, but the ability to highlight parts sounds like a nice feature to have too!

My personal though is prehaps, a simple icon to mark the place where you left off? And every time you go to your bookmark, it will automatically put the sentence/word at the top of your screen?

The ability to save more then one bookmark place would be nice too, also the ability to actually enter the numeric number of the word to go to a specific part would be nice.

But the only problem, is that it means the program must count all the words in the chapter....not sure if this is a hard thing to do?

Well just something for you to think about, Andy. :)

@Onizukademongto
lchigo93
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lchigo93 »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:The Chinese are ahead of us by lightyears.

More collective interest and manpower, I suppose.

However, thank you for the app. This site is not meant to stay underground, to my knowledge, but act as a location to cultivate interest in English/Non-Japanese speakers for this particular medium.
Yeah, I've been reading some manga in Chinese because the English translations are falling back a whole lot, i think it's at least 30 chapters apart, and for some series like Bloody Cross it's 21 chapters apart.

And this site should be promoted more, cause I never could find any other sites that were translating light novels into English, at least not as good as you guys do.

YOU GUYS AT BAKA-TSUKI ROCK!!! THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK YOU GUYS HAVE PUT IN AND ALL THE TRANSLATIONS YOU'VE DONE.

P.S. Is there gonna be an app for ios too??? Are you guys gonna create one?

"If men weren't perverts then humans would be extinct" Fuwa Rinna from Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by andyrobo123 »

onizuka-gto wrote:the ability to highlight parts sounds like a nice feature to have too!
I have looked into highlighting text, it looks like it is only supported on some of the newer versions of Android. So it would be difficult to add it to the app without breaking it on some of the older versions.
onizuka-gto wrote:My personal though is prehaps, a simple icon to mark the place where you left off? And every time you go to your bookmark, it will automatically put the sentence/word at the top of your screen?
This would be very difficult to do, when reading a chapter the app is just displaying a web page that is stored on the phone. Working out where in the HTML the icon needs to be placed would be tricky.
onizuka-gto wrote:the ability to actually enter the numeric number of the word to go to a specific part would be nice.
Skipping a given number of works from the start of a chapter would be easy, but skipping a number of words from the current position would be a lot harder. I am thinking of adding the ability to search a chapter for a given bit of text and scrolling to that. It should be easier that skipping words and i think more useful.
lchigo93 wrote:P.S. Is there gonna be an app for ios too??? Are you guys gonna create one?
I have no plans to make an app for iPhone. I don't own a mac or an iPhone and I have never use the language iPhone apps need to be written in (Objective C). I think the app might have trouble getting pass the screening process Apple do when adding new apps to their App Store.

I am hoping to update the app on Monday, new version will include:
* Chapters will be marked as read in the list of chapters once opened (Configurable)
* Added a menu when user holds down on a chapter in the chapter list. Menu includes:
- Button to open the chapter
- Button to download the chapter without opening it
- Button to delete the chapter from the cache
- Button to mark if the chapter to be displayed as read/unread in the list
* Fixed some problems where app was freezing for an extended period of time when setting a novel to watched/unwatched or going next/previous chapter
- Thank you to people who sent bug reports thought Google
* Stops putting unwanted links into the chapter list for some novels
* The list of chapters for novels is updated faster
* Uses less memory when downloading images

Edit: Update is out now

Edit 2:
Another update will be out later today (5/7/11).
Forgot to mark chapters are read when they opened using Previous or Next buttons.
Fixed chapters not being displayed for, Ginban Kaleidoscope, Infinite Stratos and Mushi to Medama.
Chronolisme
Astral Realm

Post by Chronolisme »

Great app and I'm loving it. Reading on the bus has never been this easy.

Just wondering, are you planning on releasing the source code as open source? I'd love to help contribute to code and bug fixing if can.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just not included, but using the 'Next' button in the menu to go to the next chapter doesn't scroll back to the top, it'll be great if it could!
andyrobo123
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by andyrobo123 »

Chronolisme wrote:Just wondering, are you planning on releasing the source code as open source? I'd love to help contribute to code and bug fixing if can.
I don't think I am going to release the source code for this app, while I do like the idea of open source in general. I don't want to risk someone else getting the source code, adding adverts then making money from it.
Chronolisme wrote:I'm not sure if this is a bug or just not included, but using the 'Next' button in the menu to go to the next chapter doesn't scroll back to the top, it'll be great if it could!
Thats a bug, when you use the next/previous buttons it should place the screen at the position you where last at when reading the new chapter. The same way it saves the position when you stop reading. If a chapter hasn't been opened before it should start at the top of a chapter. This will be fixed in the next version.

The next version should also display the name of each chapter as displayed on the wiki under the chapter name from the link URL (which is currently displayed).
moo
Astral Realm

Post by moo »

Im always getting: "no connection to baka tsuki could be made" when im in the novels tab.
Watchlist isnt showing anything either, tho ive no idea wether thats normal or not without any favorites on there.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

moo wrote:Im always getting: "no connection to baka tsuki could be made" when im in the novels tab.
Watchlist isnt showing anything either, tho ive no idea wether thats normal or not without any favorites on there.
Have you checked your Wifi or Mobile Internet connection? 9 out of 10, it's your connection problem.

Usually I quit the program, turn on airport mode for for a few seconds then turn it off and re-establish mobile/wifi connection. Then fire up Bakareader again.

If that still doesn't work, check in your mobile internet browser or on the computer if you can bring up the Baka-Tsuki website. If you cannot then the website is down, but if you can then it is certainly your phones problem;As a last resort, reboot your phone.

@Onizukademongto
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Welle im eriting ethisch grom My phone and all seems to be working. Its an htc desire.gonna reboot to see wether that fixes anything.

Return to “Developers and Code”