BAD NEWS!!!.....?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: BAD NEWS!!!

Post by Krikit »

shun the non-believer! shun......

though you're probably right...that's what we have editor's for ^_^. Then again, maybe they chose psychic because 12 year old's don't know what esper means, but they've heard of psychic before?
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

If that's the reasoning they chose for the change, they shouldn't be dubbing Haruhi, it's FULL of stuff 12 year olds wouldn't understand, and it's probably not appropriate for their age group anyway.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Agreed. I do not really know any 12 year old kids who can understand the philosophy of SHnY. Also, while the content in SHnY is not for little kids, I have known quite a few parents who have let their 1st grade-aged children watch rated R movies.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

ainsoph9 wrote:Agreed. I do not really know any 12 year old kids who can understand the philosophy of SHnY. Also, while the content in SHnY is not for little kids, I have known quite a few parents who have let their 1st grade-aged children watch rated R movies.
I watched Braveheart when I was eight. :D
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Krikit wrote: Then again, maybe they chose psychic because 12 year old's don't know what esper means, but they've heard of psychic before?
Or maybe the people who wrote that preview were full of crap.

So, anyway, today I was looking in Chapters and came across the second Shana novel, and I came to an epiphany.

I don't care how they translate or censor Haruhi. What matters is that I have the book in my hands, that I can sit down and read it at my leisure.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

ainsoph9 wrote:Agreed. I do not really know any 12 year old kids who can understand the philosophy of SHnY. Also, while the content in SHnY is not for little kids, I have known quite a few parents who have let their 1st grade-aged children watch rated R movies.
Eh. The "philosophy of SHnY" is simple enough for a 12-year-old to understand. It's honestly not very complex if you think about it, and if I'm not mistaken, twelve is the age for seventh graders. I expect if not most, at least those with decent critical thinking skills can comprehend it. If not for the somewhat-risque Mikuru scenes, I'd not be uncomfortable giving a copy to a 12-year-old.

And don't forget, esper isn't a real word. It's a Japanese invention, so don't be surprised if most people don't know what it means.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

While the philosophy of SHnY may be easy enough for a 12-year old to understand, I have my sincere doubts whether a 12-year old would be able to draw out the full meaning of SHnY's philosophy. I base this on the concept of where SHnY draws its philosophy in terms of the original thinkers. Philosophy by no means is easy to digest. I think that a 12-year old may be able to understand it to a certain extent, but I really never knew any 12-year old who seriously thought about philosophy to that extent.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

agreed.. in fact, even 15 year-olds would have trouble getting to the core of the Haruhi series. i mean, just look at kyon's first impression of haruhi - wasn't it him who guessed (wrongly) that the reason behind haruhi's queerness is just letting off some steam, or should i say venting excess youth energies..

and i think it would be better if the targeted age group was 15+ (18+ and it'd sound shady.) i led a few high school brats i know to BT because they said they were interested, only to find out that not only did they not have a minimum working knowledge of psychology and philosophy, but they hardly knew anything about jap culture.. (consequently, they weren't converted into haruhiists..)

oh, and last time i checked, the over-all english used in the light novels (not just haruhi, but in other projects) isn't that bad.. i've seen worse things written by natural english users - besides, some things like wrong choice of words, grammar and punctuation are easily solved given that its a wiki..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I think that the problem here is that because the formatting is the same as books for little kids light novels are easily written off as childish fluff. However, I think that is where the beauty of light novels lies. It is able to mix a relatively simple literary and grammatical style with complex thought. In my opinion, that takes some skill.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Rectifier wrote:I still don't understand how "professional" translators can suck more than fan translators. :|
Not necessarily true. The Moribito translation was absolutely brilliant. ^_^

And that is just the summary. I have a friend who's an author, and can tell you he'd certainly vouch that those can be...misleading at times. Truth be told, I've seen much worse.

As for the psychic versus esper argument, there are a number of different types of psychics. Half the X-Men could be considered "psychics" of one sort or another, but only a few can read minds or tell the future.

As for the use of "slider", I wouldn't be surprised to see them using a different term to keep the Fox lawyers off their backs. Bandai didn't even bother to do that and just excised the term from the dubbed line. Considering the term is only mentioned maybe three times before the 9th book, which may never be animated, I can't really argue too much with the decision.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for Haruhi, but...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... o-801-chan
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

I'm confused here,it's a 2009 anime right,so theoretically(and hopefully)it will air after the second season of SHnY.Let's hope the anime isn't getting post-poned any further...
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Just so you know, it hasn't even been officially announced. :? Unless I missed something.
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

The entry does say that it was confirmed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Haruhi will not be done by next year. The original series was only 13 episodes, a length that could easily fit in somewhere among the multiple seasons that run each year.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

ahh.. the LONG delay reminds me of an old theory that SHnY was set in 2009.. (perhaps the particular episode/s for v4 will air around dec. of 2009, leave it to KyoAni to play around with its market share..)

but this new anime seems to intend to capture a different fanbase.. (thus increase the demand for KyoAni, since their major productions turned out to be shounen- and seinen-oriented; of course, leave it to the other half of the demographic to churn out sousukeXgauron and whatnot..)
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”