Haruhi's Hair

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

QCTX
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by QCTX »

they have included various colors of hair in their anime. Has anyone else heard these "theories" before?
So what ? You don't know your anime laws?

#31 - Law of Follicular Chromatic Variability
(from Spellweaver)

Any color in the visible spectrum is considered a natural hair color. This color can change without warning or explanation.
Symphonia
Astral Realm

Post by Symphonia »

Anime characters' hair length only changes during either: time leaps, when girls hack it all off for some sort of dramatic effect, if they're one of those random "I change my look all the time 'cause I'm unique and stuff" side characters, or that strange habit where girls cut their hair when they get dumped for a "fresh start" or whatever.

Everybody else has their head frozen in time.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I mean take a look at Kyon, he hasn't changed one bit. not one iota. still wearing the same uniform, same bored look, same height probably too.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Hey, it makes sense for the other four members to keep their hairstyle/trim it. But I thought Haruhi knew Kyon liked her hair longer. Didn't make sense if she trims it.

PS: Zalthers, just not bothered to login 2 hours from exam
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Hey, it makes sense for the other four members to keep their hairstyle/trim it. But I thought Haruhi knew Kyon liked her hair longer. Didn't make sense if she trims it.
Well, since when did anything that Haruhi has done really made sense? A few cases exist I admit, but for the most part, no.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Characters can also get their hair cut by bladed weapons. Most of the time it then reverts back to normal, but if a ponytail gets cut off, it stays dead.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Beware the talking cat wrote:Characters can also get their hair cut by bladed weapons......
You just reminded me of the School Days bad end I saw yesterday... >.<
/me claws out throat and dies
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

I've found we tend to get the multichromatic hair more often in school animes or harem animes.

WARNING: Unfounded (yet logically sound) speculation follows

I think it goes back to the old days of anime, when character design really wasn't all that developed, where there weren't really any school anime, and most the characters wore strikingly different clothing or colors so we could tell them apart, since most of them looked alike otherwise. You'll also notice that a large number of those old characters did have black hair.

Then you started getting a lot of harem and school animes, and since most of those characters have to dress the same due to their uniforms, they had to come up with a better way to differentiate them, and thus the hair colors.

Nowadays that isn't as often an issue, as the anime and manga artists are a lot better at drawing distinct facial features, but the multicolored hair has stayed as an anime trademark.

There are still a number of old-school character designers and those who like to only use odd colored hair to accentuate the oddness of the characters. Look at most of the Rumiko Takahashi anime, for example. Ranma 1/2 has nearly no Asian characters with non-black hair, but they get away with it by letting everyone dress differently. For the one main character with non-black hair (female Ranma), that hair color is a plot gimmick.

Haruhi is definitely a series that messes with anime expectations, so it's guaranteed that hair color will come into play.
A Lamer
Astral Realm

Post by A Lamer »

Hey guys, Vol 1 Ch 1:

Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

hey all their hair colors are different. Its like skittles! TASTE THE RAINBOW!
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

....To whoever said Mikuru's hair is red in the anime.......get your eyes checked...

Clearly brown, Mikuru isnt a ginger......
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

IrishHaremOtaku wrote:....To whoever said Mikuru's hair is red in the anime.......get your eyes checked...

(In Eric Cartman voice) GINGER!!!!
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

Indeed.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

IrishHaremOtaku wrote:....To whoever said Mikuru's hair is red in the anime.......get your eyes checked...

Ginger is red hair with freckles. Mikuru's what we call a "Day Walker".
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

If that looks red to you, you might need to adjust the color saturation on your display...

=Smidge=

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”