new season of SHNY

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote: As for the number of episodes, I agree with Fushichou. Because the fourth novel was quite in depth, you could get away with making almost an entire season based on that alone.
I have two problems with this.

1) That novel is pretty much about Yuki, not Haruhi. Remind me what the series is called again?

2) Volume 4, despite its awesomeness, is short. It's shorter than Volume 1. Even if KyoAni didn't cut out anything, it's still worth, at most, 6 episodes.

And, I'd just like to mention, I think another 14-episode season would be a giant waste. KyoAni has the talent to pull off a full-length season, and still keep the same quality... if they can do that with Kanon and Clannad, why not Haruhi?
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:1) That novel is pretty much about Yuki, not Haruhi. Remind me what the series is called again?
The _____ of Suzumiya Haruhi. In this case, it's a story about how she disappears. I fail to see how this breaks the pattern. The first novel was barely about Haruhi as well if you think about it. The series is, IMHO, about Kyon and his experiences.

I suppose next you're going to complain how "To Kill a Mockingbird" wasn't about snuffing birds, and "Catcher in the Rye" had nothing to do with either baseball OR farming.
Kaisos Erranon wrote:2) Volume 4, despite its awesomeness, is short. It's shorter than Volume 1. Even if KyoAni didn't cut out anything, it's still worth, at most, 6 episodes.
Shorter than Volume 1 by about half a chapter's worth of text, yeah. I also don't see this as a problem, because I don't see anyone saying it will be EXCLUSIVELY Volume 4. The first season was not exclusively Volume 1 either. God forbid they make more original episodes, too.
=Smidge=
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Smidge204 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:2) Volume 4, despite its awesomeness, is short. It's shorter than Volume 1. Even if KyoAni didn't cut out anything, it's still worth, at most, 6 episodes.
Shorter than Volume 1 by about half a chapter's worth of text, yeah. I also don't see this as a problem, because I don't see anyone saying it will be EXCLUSIVELY Volume 4. The first season was not exclusively Volume 1 either. God forbid they make more original episodes, too.
=Smidge=
I thought that what "Fushichou" or whatever he's calling himself meant. Nevermind then.

And yeah, more original episodes would suck, but regardless of how much of the novels they adapt they're going to have to do that to create a finale.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:And yeah, more original episodes would suck, but regardless of how much of the novels they adapt they're going to have to do that to create a finale.
So you think new content for the series is a bad thing... interesting.
=Smidge=
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

Personally, I do not think that new content is necessarily a bad thing, but I think that Tanigawa would have to be the one to write it. If anyone else did it, then it would just come across as filler like they did for Naruto and Bleach. If they they can keep the quality of the plot and the like high, then I do not care.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Smidge204 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:And yeah, more original episodes would suck, but regardless of how much of the novels they adapt they're going to have to do that to create a finale.
So you think new content for the series is a bad thing... interesting.
=Smidge=
I agree with ainsoph9... unless it's written by Tanigawa, yeah, new content is a bad thing.

I want to see the novels adapted, nothing else, really.
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

It's not like they lack material to work from....
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Well, I am pretty sure that at the time that Claymore diverged from the anime, enough of the manga was out for them not to go off the beaten path. So, if it has not stopped them in the past from screwing with things, why should it stop them in the future? I mean, the episode, "A Day in the Rain" of the last season of SHnY was never in the novels, so why did they really need to do it?
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

It wasn't a bad ep....but it wasn't one of the best either.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Agreed. The only thing is that if you have the material, then why should you do it in the first place. Personally, I have always been a proponent of the idea that anime and movies adopted from books and manga should try to adhere to the source material as much as possible. This is important to do because otherwise the adoption will fail to convey the author's or mangaka's original intent and/or feelings.
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Well, everyone wants to leave their mark on a work.

No doubt the only anime-only episode was the director's idea. But there's a massive amount of material for a second season......they could do a whole 28 ep series and still not cover all the bases.....
Matt_TY
Astral Realm

Post by Matt_TY »

Or at the very least if it differentiates from the source material it should be written by or have the approval of the author of the source material, where possible of course (i.e. where they are alive and sound of mind.) As for "Someday in the Rain" I dunno why they did it. But.... I guess it's a bit like Craig Charles from Red Dwarf wondering in one of his books what his character Lister does between the bizarre adventures that so conveniently take up the space of an episode. I mean, even the SOS Brigade can't have bizarre adventure days every day, right? Even for Haruhi that's pretty improbable.

IHO: This is true, there's plenty of source material to base 28 more eps on. Let's hope Book 10 hurries itself up so there's even more material for the third season.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Remember that "A day in the rain" takes place chronologically AFTER the events of the main story. It serves two purposes: first, an anti-climax after the big finish of the previous story to lead you into the buildup for the next. Second, it contains a lot of character development for Yuki and may actually be a good lead-in for the events of Volume 4.

=Smidge=
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Not only that, but if the series didn't do well and there were no second season, it would have needed an ending that wrapped things up.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

IrishHaremOtaku wrote:Well, everyone wants to leave their mark on a work.

No doubt the only anime-only episode was the director's idea. But there's a massive amount of material for a second season......they could do a whole 28 ep series and still not cover all the bases.....
Do keep in mind that "Someday in the Rain" was written by Tanagawa. It may very well have been his idea.

As for the new series, my understanding is that CLANNAD may go on for a full 52 ep season, so don't everybody get too excited about this yet. "The ______ of Haruhi Suzumiya" may actually get a 2 cour (24-26 ep) season, or they may get two consecutive 1 cour seasons, one wrapped around Volume 4, the next around Volume 7. That ©2007 obviously isn't for the new show itself, so the show should be airing in 2008 and 2009.

And there is an appropriate amount of material for two 13ish ep seasons. There are a number of possible setups dicussed on the Animesuki forums, and maybe even here (it's been a while), that suggest everything up to and including Volume 8 could be covered appropriately without any anime-only material ("filler" has too ugly of a connotation with this kind of crowd). Trying to start into 9 or 10 would be a bad idea at this point, since there's nothing to work from (although I am curious to see how they animate alpha and beta differently, if they do), but they can save those two for a season 4.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”