Volume One Complete: PDF Version [Download]

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

We have just moved to a new server, so there might be a few bugs here and there.

Please be paitient and try again later.

If that does not solve your problems, it might be your connection.

If you still having problems, well, as homer says: if it's too hard, don't do it.

:roll:

Besides a official PDF version is on it way, so if you hang on a little bit longer you will get the latest version of all our releases.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
alaster
Astral Realm

Post by alaster »

I am wonder, now that we all noticed the mistakes on volumn 1, which most of them is because JAPANESE>>CHINESE translation. Will you correct them all before release Vol1?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Do not worry, the pdf of Volume 01 will be the latest version from the wiki, and also will be specially formatted in a English novel layout.

The Molitar version is a fan made, straight from Wiki to wordprocessor to pdf copy, made from an eariler version of the translation.

Be assured this will be much different from this one.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
molitar
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by molitar »

Ok by popular demand I have totally revised my volume 1 release. It is now in a novel format with the colored illustrations located at the proper chapters. You may download this thanks to dovac for putting it on the server for download
gone.

If you have any criticism do not be afraid to mention them perhaps this can be the actual release with co-operation from everyone.
Last edited by onizuka-gto on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link.
velocity7
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by velocity7 »

It would appear you did not read any part of this thread starting from my post and onward. Please take a look. :roll:
molitar
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by molitar »

Sorry I been away for a while.. Had lost my drive so when I got back up and running I created the change they wanted which was a novel format layout. So yeah I didn't see that thread. Very nice layout see someone has some nice professional software.

Well guess in the meantime to it's released they can download the revised version especially since many was avoiding reading it to anime was finished. Now it's finished they probably started reading it like I started to :)
Kresnik
Astral Realm

Vol-1 .pdf

Post by Kresnik »

Thank you so much for the .pdf version, now I can delete those .html formatted chapters..
molitar
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by molitar »

Just wanted to get everyones opinion on the new revised Volume 1. Since it's in PDF format and usually read online do you think I should add an extra spacing between paragraphs? I know from most novels that spacing usually isn't added between paragraphs but it might improve on the reading since many of us read it on screen as well as visual appearance. Let me know if you would like me to do that and if so I will do a revision to finalize that.

The second thing I notice is the conversion over to PDF

Second let me know any other comments you have because this weekend I plan to start working on Volume 2 and when the author's notes get's finished up I will revise it with the author's notes section. So knowing that volume 1 is quite satisfactory will help me to do the layout for volume 2.

And thanks all for enjoying my work I'm glad that other's appreciate the work and is enjoying my work :D
magicalcrap
Astral Realm

Post by magicalcrap »

Thanks again molitar for the pdf version of vol.1 That saves me a lot of work.

I'm also saving the chapters in DOC format for my own use. I include the inlay illustrations (grayscale illusts) and the color illustrations (with translated captions) as where I would guess they are are in the chapters. I don't have the original books, so I'm just guessing where the illustrations would be. Although I downloaded the other color pages (covers and others), I didn't include them in the DOC conversions. I don't have a pdf converter or Acrobat itself so I don't have PDF versions.

I convert them by the chapter instead of by the volume. And I also delete the external links (wiki links, etc.)

But I will still wait for the official PDF releases. They are baka-tsuki official releases after all.
molitar
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by molitar »

Yeah I have the same issue with exact location of images since I don't have the original novel either. But one thing I could do is make sure the illustration is on the opposit page of what their referencing. But this would make me have to insert a blank page or two just like an actual novel.

Ideas for improvement:

1. Extra spacing between paragraphs

2. Illustration being on the opposite page if it was printed out on a printer with both sides used. (This would make an occasional blank page at end of chapter like a novel does to make sure the illustration is on the opposite side of the page it references)

3. Split the 2 page illustrations into seperate pages so they appear as they would in the book especially if their is those out there that wish to print it out on a laser printer out there with a duplexer. (This would mean the graphic would be split in half into two parts tho for those that don't have a way to print with duplexing)

4. Page numbers modifed so the beginning illustrations are page numbered with roman numberals so that the actual page numbers start on the prologue page.

5. Title page being moved after the picture of Mikuru since it actually looks like a flap page before the prologue.

With these modifications the only thing I could see different from a novel would be location of the actual image locations. So my question comes down to is does everyone feel these are wanted improvements if not which ones would you personally like to see?

I tried to clean up the image with Mikuru but the original scanner did not use a demoire setting when originally scanning. So the attempt at cleaning up the hatch affect proved to be futile since it lost alot of detail in the process so I don't believe it's worth it.
molitar
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by molitar »

Oops forgot to add that splitting the images I could than do the format in a two page layout mode so that it looks more like an actual novel. Currently with the 2 page insert being a single insert this is not capable of being done this way.
MaccaSvenne
Astral Realm

Post by MaccaSvenne »

Hmm, I have one stupid question:
Is this the official version of Baka-Tsukiproject Suzumiya Haruhi novel volume 1 or is there another one coming later/soon?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

This is not the official release, but a fan compiled version kindly provided by Molitar.

You are more then welcome to download this version as Molitar has just recently updated it.

However if you have the will power to wait a little longer, there will be an official Baka-Tsuki release.

While the only difference of the official version and this one is that we have a member who is well verse in typography and has access to the source materials.

Sufficient to say, that it will look very professional and conform to a more familiar English language literature book.

8)

@Onizukademongto
molitar
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by molitar »

Well this release is quite professional tho. I just finished editing it into a true novel. Title page, table of contents, bookmarks, hyperlinks. The full works very professionally done. I looked at the official preview and I myself did not like it. Did not remind me of a novel at all. This is final revision so I will title it final and it should be up shortly when I deliver it to them to put up on server in the irc channel.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I apologise if I have offend you Molitar, I did not meant to imply that your version was any less "professional" then the official pdf version.

Merely repeating the fact stated to me, and from what I have seen from my un-professional point of view.

While your version is not officially sponsored by Baka-Tsuki, we whole heartedly encourage all positive contribution, and maintain that all works published on the Wiki is part of the public domain and if any user wish to release your own compiled version of our translations for other people and not just for personal use, you are welcome to it, all we ask is for you is to clearly state the source of your translation in your release (Baka-Tsuki) and to politely inform Thelastguardian of your intention before hand.

Thank you.

Onizuka-GTO

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”