new season of SHNY

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

Concerning CLANNAD, I saw on http://www.animenewsnetwork.com that they are currently planning on having 26 episodes, which I can definitely see happening. 52 episodes sounds like it might stretch things a bit though.

As for "Someday in the Rain," if it was Tanigawa's idea, then I do not have a problem with it. However, it does seem that episode was a way to milk the cow a little.

About the length of the next series, I agree that going into volumes 9 and 10 would be anime suicide for right now. It would almost be like Naruto and Bleach running into filler because they ran out of source material: it would be a bad idea. As for volumes 9 and 10 themselves, I am interested in seeing how they can make them without them coming off as so confusing and disconnected that they feel like watching Ergo Proxy or some existential anime.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

"This episode is the original story that was written for the anime series by Nagaru Tanigawa himself."

http://wiki.sos-dan.com/wiki/Someday_in_the_Rain

=Smidge=
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote:Concerning CLANNAD, I saw on http://www.animenewsnetwork.com that they are currently planning on having 26 episodes, which I can definitely see happening. 52 episodes sounds like it might stretch things a bit though.
Where did you see this? Both ANN and Wikipedia still say 24 episodes for CLANNAD.

I am, however, betting that there will be a CLANNAD Season 2 next fall.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Sorry. That was a typo on my part. Cut me some slack for the sake of standard deviation and all. Sheesh! :roll: Still, the point remains that as much as I love CLANNAD, I do not see it going for 52 episodes at this point. I mean, in the game, there are, what, five girls, right? So, if Tomoya were to solve all of their problems, they should be able to do that in 24 episodes or so. That is, unless they decided to take care of the problems of every girl that has made an appearance in the series to date. That would be crazy!
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote:Sorry. That was a typo on my part. Cut me some slack for the sake of standard deviation and all. Sheesh! :roll: Still, the point remains that as much as I love CLANNAD, I do not see it going for 52 episodes at this point. I mean, in the game, there are, what, five girls, right? So, if Tomoya were to solve all of their problems, they should be able to do that in 24 episodes or so. That is, unless they decided to take care of the problems of every girl that has made an appearance in the series to date. That would be crazy!
The original game has an arc for EVERY SINGLE character, male and female. (Though Tomoya never dates anyone but the main 5, thank god.) This is because it's based around making people happy in order to create a miracle and save someone's life.

Added to this is the fact that the prologue to the whole thing actually begins AFTER the main events of the game...

You can see why they might want 52 episodes.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:The original game has an arc for EVERY SINGLE character, male and female. (Though Tomoya never dates anyone but the main 5, thank god.) This is because it's based around making people happy in order to create a miracle and save someone's life.

Added to this is the fact that the prologue to the whole thing actually begins AFTER the main events of the game...

Less "Standard Dating Sim X" and more "100% completion Chrono Cross". That's what I've been led to understand as well.

If it does go 52ish, whether as one season or two, that would end it around September or October of next year, which would mean that even with a quickie 13/14-ep season of, say, FMP! in between, they still might be able to put out a 26ish ep (batch of) season(s) of Haruhi with a legit 2008-2009 copyright.

And everybody, don't be so quick to knock anime adaptations. Live Alive, Day of Sagittarius (scripted by FMP!'s Shouji Gatoh, actually), and Adventures of Asahina Mikuru Episode 00 were all better in the anime than in their novel versions. No mean feat that.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:The original game has an arc for EVERY SINGLE character, male and female. (Though Tomoya never dates anyone but the main 5, thank god.) This is because it's based around making people happy in order to create a miracle and save someone's life.

Less "Standard Dating Sim X" and more "100% completion Chrono Cross". That's what I've been led to understand as well.

If it does go 52ish, whether as one season or two, that would end it around September or October of next year, which would mean that even with a quickie 13/14-ep season of, say, FMP! in between, they still might be able to put out a 26ish ep (batch of) season(s) of Haruhi with a legit 2008-2009 copyright.

And everybody, don't be so quick to knock anime adaptations. Live Alive, Day of Sagittarius (scripted by FMP!'s Shouji Gatoh, actually), and Adventures of Asahina Mikuru Episode 00 were all better in the anime than in their novel versions. No mean feat that.
I'm not knocking the adaptations, I'm merely worried they'll poke it up somehow... KyoAni has a lot to live up to with the second season...
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I agree with Kaisos Erranon, but I do also agree that there is the possibility for them to improve on the original story. I mean, in the original story for Live a Live, they called for rap and R&B. I am glad that they decided to go with a more rock-like song instead. Personally, I would take a guitar solo over rap any day of the week, but that is just me.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

ainsoph9 wrote:I mean, in the original story for Live a Live, they called for rap and R&B. I am glad that they decided to go with a more rock-like song instead. Personally, I would take a guitar solo over rap any day of the week, but that is just me.
Of course, the fact that that scene, especially when Yuki is playing the guitar, was the most beautifully animated 5 minutes that year didn't hurt...
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Well, it might hurt depending on your musical tastes. I mean, I have the tab for that song for both Nagato's and Haruhi's parts. To say the least, Nagato's part is challenging, especially the very end. I have seen others do it, but the just cannot get the right tone for the song. So, I guess for you to hate the song, in a way, you would have to hate talent because that is what it takes to play it. However, I can understand if you do not like the song just because it is not your style. I just get angry when people tell me that three chord songs are as talented as you can get.
Matt_TY
Astral Realm

Post by Matt_TY »

Yeah, personally I'd much rather the songs as they came out in the anime as opposed to a rap/R&B number. I do remember thinking as I read the novels: "Well, good thing they changed _that_."
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yeah, I cannot see Haruhi rapping really well. They tried that between Kyon and Koizumi in one of the drama CDs, but it failed miserably. It was funny to listen to though. As for doing what they did with the song selection, I wonder if Hirano Aya had anything to do with it, given what she has put out otherwise. She tends to do more pop/rock stuff, although I do not know if she actually is writing the songs herself for her own work or if someone else does it for her. Besides singing, I do not think that she plays any instruments either. Please correct me if I am wrong.
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

Japanese rap is only outdone by French rap in hilarity.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Actually, I have heard some decent Japanese rap, and I am not a rap fan by any means. If the Japanese can create some good music, which I think they can, then I do not think that it is impossible for them to create good rap either. I often am surprised at what they are capable of putting out. I cannot speak for the French however, seeing that I am only somewhat familiar with their visual art and classical music.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

IrishHaremOtaku wrote:Japanese rap is only outdone by French rap in hilarity.
I agree.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”