BAD NEWS!!!.....?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Re: BAD NEWS!!!

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

fiendmaw wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote: It won't be a cliffhanger...

He'll probably just end the current story arc like he did with every previous longer story.
Sorry for the late reply,but this clearly is not just another story-arc,this is THE and most likely final arc.
Not arguing with you about vol 10 being the last(though I think it will),it's just that it will end with the story unfinished,or another cliffhanger,if it's not the last volume.
Exactly why would this happen?

Although I expect the Dark Brigade to get away and become recurring villains, I don't see how Tanigawa could NOT finish the arc within the next volume.

I've said before: The story, as a story, is not ready to end yet. The characters haven't gone through enough development, not all unexplained events or plot points have been explained, we've had foreshadowing for at least one future story (the next summer trip) and we've also been introduced to 3 entirely new characters.

The story is not ready to end yet.

Besides, if it were the last volume, don't you think they'd advertise it as such?
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by shichinanatsu »

i don't know if anyone's considered this, so..

author-san himself said that the series would only consist of 10 books, so it isn't that far off for readers to conclude that the story of haruhi will end there.. however, you could also say that the whole story itself is not yet ready to end, as Kaisos so firmly believes.

so, this is how i think things will turn out; the SH series will end with v10, BUT, a new series will probably start where the last left off.. and of course, haruhi will not be the main character anymore - i know it sounds absurd, but kyon might just be the new protagonist in this probable new series, with haruhi as the new narrator.

i don't know about you guys, but given the run of the story it still has the potential for being a long-running series.. *wishful thinking that SHnY will end up being like the almost 20 y.o. Aa! Megami-sama!*
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

shichinanatsu wrote:i don't know if anyone's considered this, so..

author-san himself said that the series would only consist of 10 books, so it isn't that far off for readers to conclude that the story of haruhi will end there.. however, you could also say that the whole story itself is not yet ready to end, as Kaisos so firmly believes.

so, this is how i think things will turn out; the SH series will end with v10, BUT, a new series will probably start where the last left off.. and of course, haruhi will not be the main character anymore - i know it sounds absurd, but kyon might just be the new protagonist in this probable new series, with haruhi as the new narrator.

i don't know about you guys, but given the run of the story it still has the potential for being a long-running series.. *wishful thinking that SHnY will end up being like the almost 20 y.o. Aa! Megami-sama!*
Kyon already IS the protagonist. Even if the series is named after Haruhi, the story revolves around Kyon.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

shichinanatsu wrote:i don't know if anyone's considered this, so..

author-san himself said that the series would only consist of 10 books, so it isn't that far off for readers to conclude that the story of haruhi will end there.. however, you could also say that the whole story itself is not yet ready to end, as Kaisos so firmly believes.[/b]
Where did he say this? Link, please.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

@TGM: hmm.. i was thinking of a juxtaposition back there.. haruhi's the title character and the story is her story, told through kyon. i was guessing that maybe we would come across 'whatever-kyon's-name-is' as the title character and the story is his story, told through haruhi.

@Kaisos: ah.. that back there was a BIG mistake on my part, and i duly apologize..

i said that with the wikipedia article of the light novels in mind. whoever wrote that (and the other wiki articles pertaining to Haruhi) must have had his/her/their trustworthy sources, meaning access to nihon websites, alongside the ability to read jap. (i have the former, not the latter..) that if tanigawa-san did intend for SH to run only 10 books, he would have let Kadokawa know. and kadokawa, being the owner of SH, is obliged to let the clientele know what tanigawa-san has in mind for SH.

i believed that to already be common knowledge.. but, owing to my inability to understand written jap, some new and up-to-date official word may already be around the net, so i am unfortunately on a lower 'in-the-know' level as compared to you guys..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

shichinanatsu wrote:@TGM: hmm.. i was thinking of a juxtaposition back there.. haruhi's the title character and the story is her story, told through kyon. i was guessing that maybe we would come across 'whatever-kyon's-name-is' as the title character and the story is his story, told through haruhi.

@Kaisos: ah.. that back there was a BIG mistake on my part, and i duly apologize..

i said that with the wikipedia article of the light novels in mind. whoever wrote that (and the other wiki articles pertaining to Haruhi) must have had his/her/their trustworthy sources, meaning access to nihon websites, alongside the ability to read jap. (i have the former, not the latter..) that if tanigawa-san did intend for SH to run only 10 books, he would have let Kadokawa know. and kadokawa, being the owner of SH, is obliged to let the clientele know what tanigawa-san has in mind for SH.

i believed that to already be common knowledge.. but, owing to my inability to understand written jap, some new and up-to-date official word may already be around the net, so i am unfortunately on a lower 'in-the-know' level as compared to you guys..
Just because a series only has 10 books announced does not mean there is only 10 books.

I'd think a bigger deal would be made about the "final volume." But that's just me.

As far as I know, no official confirmation has been made.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Plus, you know, Wikipedia is just as good as the author's mouth. Srsly.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

AuraTwilight wrote:Plus, you know, Wikipedia is just as good as the author's mouth. Srsly.
That too.
OneofFive
Astral Realm

Post by OneofFive »

All this talk sends shivers down my spine...

If Baka-Tsuki does stop the translations, at the very least we have the anime to feed on, don't we? But it would still be nice to at least find out the end of Volume 10...
jedi423
Astral Realm

Post by jedi423 »

None of the speculation about Volume 10 or whether B-T will translate matters until we the Japanese version out (or at least a release date), so here's to hoping we get some news on that soon.
Hiiragi Kagami
Astral Realm

Post by Hiiragi Kagami »

Come on now, does it even seem logical for Tanigawa to just end SHnY? As INSANELY popular as it is...
Right now, ending SHnY is like refusing a free offer of half of a billion-dollar company's stock. It's a major, MAJOR money income, and who doesn't want money? :roll:
I only see 2 reasons for the SHnY series to end:
1) Tanigawa dies.
2) Haruhi loyalists move on to another cooler series.
It's like Disney killing off Mickey and the gang (in a family-friendly way of course, like making them all retire or something). And we all know that won't happen 'til Disney reaches their 100th anniversary, at least.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Hiiragi Kagami1 wrote:Come on now, does it even seem logical for Tanigawa to just end SHnY? As INSANELY popular as it is...
Right now, ending SHnY is like refusing a free offer of half of a billion-dollar company's stock. It's a major, MAJOR money income, and who doesn't want money? :roll:
1) Tanigawa dies.
I can see this happening if they don't release something soon.

At least, that is what I will be doing.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Man, I'm offline a week for graduation and everything becomes confusing. The article I saw says the license is only for the first nine novels, so the tenth one should be safe. If not, then SOMEONE(probably several someones) will translate it still, I'm sure.

It's nice they are offering hardcover though. I'll probably buy at least the first one in HC.

Still, I don't expect the series to end with book 10. Book 11 maybe, but not 10.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

Hiiragi Kagami1 wrote:Come on now, does it even seem logical for Tanigawa to just end SHnY? As INSANELY popular as it is...
1) Tanigawa dies.
It's like Disney killing off Mickey and the gang (in a family-friendly way of course, like making them all retire or something). And we all know that won't happen 'til Disney reaches their 100th anniversary, at least.
that's not really a bad thing.. i would bet a considerable sum that most of the guys here were into other preferences before they stumbled upon Haruhi, and were inevitably drawn in..

and.. if ever the series dies without an ending, life will still go on.. manga, anime, and light novels roll off nihon at light speed, its literally impossible to not come across jewels, similar to SHnY. (although none may ever reach up to Her level, imho)
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

Hiiragi Kagami
Astral Realm

Post by Hiiragi Kagami »

shichinanatsu wrote:
Hiiragi Kagami1 wrote:I only see 2 reasons for the SHnY series to end:
1) Tanigawa dies.
that's not really a bad thing.. i would bet a considerable sum that most of the guys here were into other preferences before they stumbled upon Haruhi, and were inevitably drawn in..
I don't mean like all us SH loyalists dissipating to our own series. I mean like one ultra mega series coming along that completely replaces Haruhi and draws in
all of her fans. If some revolutionary, omgwtfbbq cool, girl and boy appealing (way] too many series set their audience in stone by gender, which
probably limits their popularity to an extent), Naruto/Dragonball/Sailor Moon/Pokemon/YuGiOh/Bleach great mash-up series that breaks that barrier that
separates anime that we see on Cartoon Network every night, from anime that at best gets air time on Anime Network and that you'd have to be an anime fan
to know about (SH has yet to break this barrier in the States, I'm afraid), series comes along, it'll easily overshadow SH, and it'll definitely blow SH out like a
candle. It's possible. So, yes, it is a bad thing, for Tanigawa anyway.

But hey, what's the chance of that happening? This only supports my claim that good ol' Haruhi won't be leaving us anytime soon, and that the novels won't end at 10. Be sure of that. :wink:
and sorry about the wierd formatting of this post. it got freaked up on its own somehow...

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”