BAD NEWS!!!.....?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: BAD NEWS!!!

Post by ainsoph9 »

I get the feeling that we will not see SHnY on Cartoon Network anytime soon with Haruhi's sexual harassment. Although they do have their Adult Swim block, sexual harassment in the United States is a bit of a taboo.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

If they put Death Note on Adult Swim which is a show that makes you like the character who kills hundreds of criminals and condones manipulating others for personal gain that includes killing others, then they can put on a show with a little bit of sexual harassment.

Its not the content, its whether or not they think they can make money on it.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Rectifier wrote:If they put Death Note on Adult Swim which is a show that makes you like the character who kills hundreds of criminals and condones manipulating others for personal gain that includes killing others, then they can put on a show with a little bit of sexual harassment.

Its not the content, its whether or not they think they can make money on it.
That's not why. It's because, see, in the West, sex is less appropriate to be shown on television than death and violence are.

Lesson here, kids: SEX BAD. MURDER GOOD. VOTE HILLARY.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

You can't compare realistic sexual harassment to telekinetic Force Chokes with a pen.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

just another example of double standards hiding under squeamish-ness.. (not sure if the word's right)

not really sure if this would fit.. but i think if TMoHS makes it to CN, they may just pull a scene edit/cut for the eps with haruhi sexually harassing mikuru (i remember hearing something like this with gundam seed, which also made it to adult swim..)
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

They could edit it, but I think that would be like taking the spice out of a spice cake. Personally, I hate edits. They take away from the original intention of the book, film, music, etc. In this case, failure to include Haruhi's sexual harassment would make people fail to understand why Kyon and Asahina-san act the way that they do. Moreover, the editing might even include the concert seen in "Live A Live." In the United States at least, bunny suits are synonymous with Playboy. So, that might not fly on Cartoon Network.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Who cares about CN anyway,theyre better off not viewing it at all,ofcourse it might bring more money but...what's the point,to betray the story like that.That's my opinion:let ignorants be.
troqu
Astral Realm

Post by troqu »

Has CN ever even shown a school comedy? The closest thing i can think of is Gundam Wing and thats not very school centric.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

troqu wrote:Has CN ever even shown a school comedy? The closest thing i can think of is Gundam Wing and thats not very school centric.
tenchi muyo?

baka baka baka
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Clearly you don't know anything about the Adult Swim lineup...
Hiiragi Kagami
Astral Realm

Post by Hiiragi Kagami »

troqu wrote:Has CN ever even shown a school comedy? The closest thing i can think of is Gundam Wing and thats not very school centric.
There was that one show, the one that used Squigglevision and where everyone wore one piece PJs.... I think it was called Home Movies.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I think that the question has anime more in mind than American cartoons. I could never get into that one anyhow. It looked like a bunch of two-year olds made it like 1000 monkeys chained to 1000 keyboards to write the world's greatest novel. CN does show Bleach and Code Geass. It has shown Blood+, Furi Kuri, Inuyasha, Eva, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Sailor Moon. All of these series have some kind of school element in them. However, only Furi Kuri would count as even being remotely close to being a sheer school comedy.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

More importantanly, CN has shows like robot chicken, aqua teen hunger force, family guy and futurama before the anime even starts. Do you really think they'll screw with their fanbase by picking something that isn't action or comedy related?
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Well, most school comedies in anime are comedies by definition. But, since they tend to exploit the romance angle of things, I can understand what you mean. Even some of the funnier ones like CLANNAD and School Rumble come from the romance angle.
troqu
Astral Realm

Post by troqu »

OK yeah I guess FLCL and Tenchi do fit the bill but they kind of stretch it too. It's not that I blame CN, I really doubt most of their viewers would enjoy it. (especially since a lot of them rely on Japanese jokes that official translations normally don't explain in any way.)

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”