BAD NEWS!!!.....?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: BAD NEWS!!!

Post by Krikit »

Far be it from me to question the almighty AnimeNewsNetwork, but I was doing solo research, and am wondering about a few things.

It seems none of the sites that relate to Little, Brown Books, etc the Hatchet Book Group, has no information up yet to a random site viewer, about up-coming Haruhi novels. I searched official releases on the official site of Little, Brown Books, and checked release year 2009, and this is what I found.

http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/aut ... graphy.htm

As you can see, just 2 books come up.

Volume 1, To be released in Oct. of this year, 2008.

Volume 2, To be released in March of next year, 2009.

It says specifically next to the title...."manga."

I went to advanced search, which searches everything from Little, Brown to...anything else associated with Hatchet Book Group.

Why does it say it will be releasing volumes 1 and 2 of manga, if the manga is already liscenced and releasing?

The next thing I can say, is that scheduled for a release in March next year, 2009, is a book called:
Suzunari!

Could this be the beginning of our nightmare of a buthered Suzumiya Haruhi?

Browse a bit for yourselves, but so far it looks like there are no active efforts to try and let people know this book is coming, even though they have a great many releases listed for next year '09 anyway.

http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/search_index.aspx
Any other takes?
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I think I did a similar search a few months back when the announcement was first made about SHnY being licensed. I could not find anything then either. It does worry me though that all that seems to be there is for the manga. It seems like a misnomer, but because it is a misnomer, it is making me think that the publisher does not know what the heck they are doing. :|
troqu
Astral Realm

Post by troqu »

Looking at the description for volume 2 seems to indicate that they aren't the books. I could be mistaken since it's been quite a while since I actually read books one and two but the volume 2 listed there seems to still be what should have happened in book 1.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

I also did a search on Amazon.com, as well as borders, barnes&nobles, and Books-a-Million. (All huge book retail companies, with decent japanese media english releases).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... &x=19&y=11

This is the link for amazon, and all the other sites had similar results. According to this site, all records indicate the last volume of Haruhi being published is Volume 2, next year in March. The MANGA. Accroding to ANN and other reference sites, the books were bought in a joint effort of Yen Press and Little, Brown. Yen Press will be releasing the manga, and it looks as though Volume 1 of the manga will come out this year in Oct, '08.

For my reference, currently there are no english released media for Suzumiya, apart from the DVD's, correct??

Then Oct will experience the first volumes incomming. of MANGA.

As far as the light novels are concerened, there are no scheduled releases on any Hatcht Book Group sites, Large retailers sites, etc. The only thing any body is recognizing is that the manga will be coming out. That's it. No books. Forget what a news magazine says. If a company has not yet made any form of announcement, posted on it's own "official" release/information site, it can not be fully "backed-up" and therefore, until they make such a declaration, the only one who has the right to tell B-T or any other translators to remove their work, is the copyright holder. As no other company has made any official claims to owning the copyright of these books, it still falls to Kadokawa to decide. (which is good for us as they probobly like the english translation, as it may get more people to buy the books, even if they can't read, in support of the series =).)

So, I will continue keeping tabs on the official sites, but right now, no matter what an "official" magazine says, it looks as though the light novels are not being "claimed" as being published by any new, english copyright holders.

^_^ yay?

Seaghyn
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:
troqu wrote:I swore I saw somewhere say that season two was starting on 6-14 what happened?
Season two's air date is still unannounced. :?
Technically, season two's existence is still unannounced. ^_^ Anybody actually ever get a hold of that Newtype magazine with all the obviously Disappearance-related pictures? Preferably someone who can read it?
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Update, as for the light novels....If you go to http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/ and under the search, just type in "haruhi," you will get a few results. scroll to the bottom and download the "MS WORD Fall 2008" thing. That's all liscences they hold. In it, you will find the official date of Volume 1's release in April 2009.

/cry
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Krikit wrote:Update, as for the light novels....If you go to http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/ and under the search, just type in "haruhi," you will get a few results. scroll to the bottom and download the "MS WORD Fall 2008" thing. That's all liscences they hold. In it, you will find the official date of Volume 1's release in April 2009.

/cry
Two things I will never understand are women's clothing sizes and publication release dates. "April 2009" = 3/1/09?
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

ROFL!!! hahahaha! I see what you mean. I went back and checked the text version, and your right.....Here is the "look"

MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA, THE April 2009

by Nagaru Tanigawa

Translation, Audio, Performance, Merchandise: Kadokawa Shoten

Welcome Japan’s hottest property and the international phenomenon know as Haruhism! When Haruhi Suzumiya introduces herself to Kyon by asking if he's an alien, time traveler, or psychic, he knows his chances for a normal high school experience are ruined. Bold Haruhi takes a shine to him, and uses the force of her irrepressible personality to draft him into her club to find paranormal beings. Kyon soon discovers what she's looking for: Haruhi herself has the power to destroy and create entire universes at her whim. But if she knew about her ability, it could spell disaster for everyone.

Release Date: 3/01/09

$8.99 TR Ages 12 & up 5-1/2" x 8-1/4" 270 pages

I don't get it either...O_o

If a company can make this kind of mistake, think what's in store for us when the translate it...oooo woooe is me.....
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

What an awful summary. It's as if the one who wrote it heard third person what the story was about and did the article.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

I like the summary,it's energetic and inspiring,like the novels are ^_^;
This will be fun!
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Dan wrote:What an awful summary. It's as if the one who wrote it heard third person what the story was about and did the article.
I loved how they ignored the dub translation and used "psychic".

Because the espers are totally psychic, yeah... >_>

I'm guessing they're going to use "off-worlder" as well... I can't remember; did the dub use "slider" or something else?

Oh well, at least they didn't use "future men"... maybe we should write to them and tell them to get the terminology right?
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

I still don't understand how "professional" translators can suck more than fan translators. :|
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

I'm guessing it's because fan translator's tend to translate things they enjoy, and put more effort into it, rather than "professional" translators may not like it and put less effort into it?
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

@Rectifier Because they do it for money, not love....^_^ (cuz of that, translators as a whole are degraded, and thus the good ones are paid so little they prefer to translate other things, aka business docs =))
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Rectifier wrote:I still don't understand how "professional" translators can suck more than fan translators. :|
Actually, looking at our translation, it's terrible, terrible english... only thing we do right is the terminology...

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”