idiot mistake V.9

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

idiot mistake V.9

Post by b0mb3r »

Spoiler! :
i am started reading volume 9 of Suzumiya Haruhi and it introduce a cool character named Sasaki. i really find the character similar in some ways to me and find that cool. at 1st i thought she was a guy and but then when Koizumi said: This is, of course, because of that self-proclaimed very close friend Sasaki of yours, who exudes a charm that is able to mesmerize eight out of ten guys!. i was wondering is Koizumi gay? wouldn't be surprsing but i was confused what he meant. then i as i read along i found out sasaki is really a guy. i feel like i been mentally scarred. the whole time i imagine sasaki as a guy only to find out is a girl. have this happen to any u guys when u read volume 9. i re-read the proportions just now and see no hint of the author saying he is a girl. unless the name sasaki is a given (sue me i don;t know if it is a girl name or boy name in japanese. i mean it can be both depends on the kanji). this officially makes me a baka huh.

baka baka baka
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

Spoiler! :
That's intentional by the author. Look around for some other threads under Vol 9, and you'll see there's at least one that is all about figuring out ways to avoid giving Sasaki a gender in English until Koizumi's statement. It's much easier to do in Japanese.
Edit: Spoilered, but probably doesn't need to be.
Last edited by quigonkenny on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

Spoiler! :
this is intended by the author. I did not get confused at all though. Sasaki is a female enough name to me all along.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Spoiler! :
lol Just for that Deskoh, if I have a male child, I'll name him Sasaki.

And yeah, me and some others were trying hard to make Koizumi's revelation the first time you find out Kyon's friend is a girl.
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

meh, dont. your child will hate you forever. :oops:
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

I suppose it's more or less a unisex name....... like Kaede or Sakura.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

magus wrote:I suppose it's more or less a unisex name....... like Kaede or Sakura.
Hikari strikes me as a name that should be female. It is the one name that just feeeels female, even though it is unisex.

Why is the word unisex? Wouldn't it be bisex, since it can be either. Of course bisex has other connotations.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I don't know... I've only seen one guy named Sakura and he was pretty wimpy. He couldn't even score with normal girls so he turned the female population into lolis
magus
Astral Realm

Post by magus »

Sakuraba is usually the male one........ maybe they didn't put his full name into use.... besides, his just Dokuro-chan's punch bag :3
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

deskoh91 wrote:meh, dont. your child will hate you forever. :oops:
Not to mention he'll get his butt kicked on a daily basis at school.
Beware the talking cat wrote:Why is the word unisex? Wouldn't it be bisex, since it can be either. Of course bisex has other connotations.
You'd think that, wouldn't you, but for whatever reason "unisex" has always meant "usable by both sexes." (ie: unisex bathrooms, unisex clothing, etc.) Maybe it means both sexes are united in its use... ^_^

Edit: Just looked at the Wiki entry and it looks like I'm more or less right. LOL

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”