[OLN] The Providence Online.

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ScimitarF
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

[OLN] The Providence Online.

Post by ScimitarF »

The Providence Online.

Why, hello everyone. Scimitar here.
I wanted to tell you about my own LN project. I know you might see a lot of these, but I wrote a really amateurish LN about a VR game (in the beginning it was just a normal game, but it evolved into something else) that's called Providence Online.
Prepare to get your mind blown: I only took very few inspiration from SAO, given that the original story wasn't even meant to contain a VR game.
There are two volumes so far (the second one is still being published and written as I speak) and I consider the second one to be the best, given that the first one was my first story, in the beginning, so hopefully I got better since then.
The first volume is completed (but I'll rewrite it completely to make it better) and is called Scarlet. That first one was kind of abandoned, so I made very little proofreading and whatnot. But if you are able to get through the first act, you can get the second one, which I've been told was actually a decent read. The second one is called Azure and is centered much more on the ongoing quest than the romantic relationship.
At first, I decided to write in English because I'd get maybe a larger audience, but it appears it was the opposite, since most of my reader are French. By the time I found that out, I had taken a liking to writing in English, so I kept it that way. (and also because each time I tried to translate my own LN, I felt like putting some bleach in my eyes)
I'd like of you to be merciful, because being 16, and natively French my vocabulary is obviously not as large as an English-speaking person, like I'd want it to be, so sometimes it can get pretty redundant, and my stories can contain mistakes on top of that.

The Providence Online – Act I: Scarlet. (PROJECT SYNAPSE)

/!\ WARNING: This story contains swearing (Scarlet isn't the most polite person in the world) /!\

The year is 2018.
Scarlet tells the story of Naritaka Akari, a high-schooler, who's also a prodigy: she's overly smart. She worked on the creation of the very first Virtual Reality Immersion Device, the AURA device. On top of that, she's also a developer for the very first game that was created for it, Providence Online. Her name in the game is Scarlet (hence the act's title) and the story follows her through her meeting in the game of a newbie to VRMMORPG and to MMO games whatsoever, Clyde, who will become one of her best friends, as they play in the beta testing phase of the first VRMMORPG to ever exist, in their guild, the 'Red Thorn Alliance.' The story follows Akari/ Scarlet in her tribulations with her virtual friend Clyde and her flesh-and-bones crush, Haruki Naito.

For the moment, the story quite sucks, I'll have to admit. Which is why I'm rewriting it to make it better. Even if I have warned you an aweful lot that this one was quite bad, I think you should still consider reading it, so that you know the story, and can fully enjoy the second act. I don't believe it to be very long either.

Genres: Romance, Adventure, Fantasy/ Science-Fiction.

Read The Providence Online – Act I: Scarlet.

The Providence Online – Act I: Scarlet. (second version) (PROJECT CONTRIVANCE)

/!\ WARNING: This story contains swearing. /!\

This is the rewrite, and second version of Providence Online Act One, with less of what I disliked in the first version. The story will eventually conclude the same way, except the events will turn out differently. It still follows Scarlet, but this time, it will downplay the romance bit (even if it is still the main point) and focus less on Clyde. It's still not finished, but I'm trying to work hard to make it as good as the second arc, or at least as good as I can. As long as it is still being written, the first version, codenamed 'PROJECT SYNAPSE' is the canon one, but once this is released, I will make subsequent change to 'PROJECT SCALESHOCK' so that CONTRIVANCE is canon.

Genres: Romance, Adventure, Fantasy/ Science-Fiction.

Read The Providence Online – Act I: Scarlet.

The Providence Online – Act II: Azure. (PROJECT SCALESHOCK)

/!\ WARNING: This story contains swearing and a few sexual references, but very softcore, and it does not contain any lemon scenes whatsoever. /!\

The second act, Azure picks up where I left it off in the previous story, following the adventures of our two new protagonists, Azure and Cinnamon, as they join forces with the three members Red Thorn Alliance to participate in the game's launch event, a huge Grand Quest in which all players are stranded on the island of Tsydale, and must capture all of its territories, and defeat all of its bosses, to eventually become the ruler of the lands, and get freed from there.

I'll have to admit I prefer this one, and my few readers as well, for one reason: the crappy relationship material (which I'm clumsy with) is no longer the story's corner stone. This one deals a bit more with epic and less with friendship/love.
And that's what I'll try to add in the rewrite of the first volume. I already kind of have an idea on how to start.
There is still a romance backstory in this one, but it's much less important, and I can't disclose any of it, because it would spoil the details of the story.

Genres: Adventure, Romance, Fantasy/ Science-Fiction, Politics. (kind of, don't expect anything too deep)

Read The Providence Online – Act II: Azure.

The Providence Online - Act III: Skye. (UPCOMING) (PROJECT EQUALLIS)

There are no details about this story for the moment.

Spin-off Stories.
(even if it's written "spin-off," most of these stories are canon)

You should consider reading at least Scarlet before reading any one of these, as they may contain spoilers, and it will be better for understanding.

~ The Tales of Providence: The Umbreon Rise. (PROJECT PURITY)

This story is directly set inside the universe of the game, the Mundus Neo, continent of Arcalia.
It tells the story of Neige Lucis, a young girl to whom will happen the worst thing that can happen to Humeon: becoming an Umbreon. The story tells how she lives her new life as an Umbreon, during the former events of the Umbreon Rise, and the war that happened in that old age.

Genres: Drama (nothing too unsustainable), Adventure, Friendship, Romance, Fantasy.

Read The Tales of Providence: The Umbreon Rise.

~ The Tales of Providence: Distant Echoes from an Alternate World. (UPCOMING) (PROJECT AFTERMATH)

The are no details about this story for the moment.

~ <WORLD/SWITCH> (PROJECT CALICO)

/!\ WARNING: This story contains swearing (Calico either isn't the most polite person in the worlds.) /!\

This story is quite different, and happens years after the Providence Online, so much that it could be considered a whole other story.
It revolves around Minamito Kenji, a socipathic computer nerd high-schooler, who will make a fated encounter with a girl he knows as "Snatcher," a "Switcher" opening to him the gate of an alternate world named "the Two."
See as Kenji becomes a Switcher, under his old Providence Online character name, Calico.
Chapters in this story are very brief, much more befitting of a manga rather than a light novel.
Note: As I am not satisfied with the current release of WORLD/SWITCH which tends to go all ways without making sense, the project is discontinued, and I will rewrite it from scratch once I'm done with other projects, like I did with the first act of Providence Online.

Genres: Science-fiction, Adventure, Romance.

Read <WORLD/SWITCH>

~ Arch Nova Renegades. (PROJECT BACKDRAFT)

/!\ WARNING: This story contains swearing (I definitely have a bad habit of swearing characters, Whitecross and Argo don't differ from that rule.) /!\

This is a new story which I kinda decided to write on a whim. Basically, I had some sort of idea after watching SAO II episode, and playing Borderlands 2, so five minutes after thinking of my idea, I created a prologue. Yeah, I'm the most reasonable being there is. If you consider Providence Online to be Aincrad part of SAO, consider Arch Nova Renegades to be Phantom Bullet, basically. It follows the story of a mysterious player on a massive MMOFPS, under the name Whitecross, who is known as a renegade for not being part of any faction, and is also a professional assassin-for-hire, and of another player named Argo, in their adventures on the post-apocalyptic space-travel (Borderlands-inspired, let's be brief) hardcore MMOFPS, Arch Nova Online.

Genres: Science-fiction, Adventure, Romance, Drama.

Read Arch Nova Renegades.

Get updated.

None of these stories is entirely completed, except Scarlet (and it will soon be revamped) so you might want to get updated on the new chapter updates.
If you want to know exactly when each chapter is posted, you should consider following my own Twitter account (although it is mostly in French, and I do tend to tweet a lot) or the Twitter account for Fractal Hexagon and its Facebook page.

Chronology of events.

There are actually two timelines joining each other. The Mundus Neo timeline, which refers to the time in the Mundus Neo, that is Nostreia/ Arcalia, and the former world timeline, which is basically the Earth.
To make it simple, the Earth timeline is:

circa 2015/2016: The period of time during which the first part of the Chronicles of Nostreia Act One storyline happens.
2018: Providence Online beginning, creation of the first VR game and console. The Arcalia time featured at the beginning of Providence Online is year 1475.
2021: Arch Nova Renegades.
2025: <WORLD/SWITCH>

Now for the Mundus Neo Timeline.
It is uncertain when the humans left the old world for the Mundus Neo, but it is supposed to be around the twenty-third century of Earth time. It is known as year zero of both Nostreian and Arcalian time.

It is supposed that the Mundus Neo actually appeared a million years before the Providence.
Year 23 AP (ante-providence): Supposed birth of Heleathos Synialis. [Nostreia-related event]
Year 0: Offering of the Mundus Neo to the humans, "created" by Lady Providence according to Arcalian beliefs, by the One True God and God of Creation 'Litalis' according to Nostreian beliefs. This is known as the 'Providence.' [Worldwide]
Year 67: Heleathos Synialis becomes a deity, and gives up on his family name. He therefore becomes immortal. [Nostreia-related event]
Year 189: It is supposed that during that year, Litalis was killed and dethroned by Heleathos, the Time God, who himself became the One True God and took on the powers of the God of Creation due to that. [Nostreia-related event]
Little is known about what happens afterwards.
circa Year 360: Caitling Independance War. [Worldwide]
Year 380: Appearance of the Umbreons, beginning of the Umbreon Rise, and of the 'Dark Ages.' [Worldwide]
Year 388: Birth of Neige Lucis. [Arcalia-related event]
(All the events happening between this timespan should be considered Tales of Providence spoilers, and are therefore not included)
Year 406: End of the Umbreon War. [Worldwide]
Year 520: Supposedly, Froste Winters' year of birth as a mortal human. [Nostreia-related event]
Year 623: Birth of Agito Clarke. [Nostreia-related event]
Year 624: Birth of Erelia Naccalia. [Nostreia-related event]
Year 630: Beginning of the Imperial War. [Nostreia-related event]
Year 635: End of Imperial War, Ilidan Naccalia becomes King of the newly born Catalia Realm. [Nostreia-related event]
Later on, Sid, Leia and Faith Clarke are assassinated by royalists soldiers.
Year 637: Later known as the Stale Nayter incident, Ilidan Naccalia, his wife Maya, and daughters Allica and Oherca are assassinated.
Stale Nayter becomes the new Emperor of Catalia.
Erelia Naccalia becomes a fugitive, beginning of the Chronicles of Nostreia second act. [Nostreia-related event]
(All the events happening between this timespan should be considered Chronicles of Nostreia spoilers, and are therefore not included)
Year 1475: This is the beginning of the times where the adventurers from the past appear, to be known as the Age of Heroes. [Arcalia-related event]

Note: just as a matter of simplification, and not to refer to stories through an overly long name, I started assigning series with codenames, such as Project Contrivance for the rewrite of PO Act One. In no way these should be considered the canon names, though.

Also, I do have a bit habit of starting a lot of new series without waiting for others to finish (much like I started the rewrite of Synapse without finishing Scaleshock), but I'll eventually create a planning of the order in which they should be released, and come to terms with my ideas.

Thanks for reading,
~Froste/ Scimitar, Co-founder and Contributor of Fractal Hexagon.

Last update: 31/08/2014.
Last edited by ScimitarF on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
At least you tried.
Honeythief
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Oregairu

Re: [OLN] The Providence Online.

Post by Honeythief »

Finally got to login. I read the first act and enjoyed it. Since you say the second one is better, I'm looking forward to reading it now.
Honeythief. 僕らはどこにも開かない
ScimitarF
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: [OLN] The Providence Online.

Post by ScimitarF »

Honeythief wrote:Finally got to login. I read the first act and enjoyed it. Since you say the second one is better, I'm looking forward to reading it now.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for your opinion. Any feedback is welcome.
At least you tried.

Return to “Creative works”