SKIPPING AHEAD TO VOL. 8!!!!!!

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Should we start Translation at Volume 08?

1: Yes (Reason)
33%
2: No (Reason)
67%
3: Other (Give decent explanation)
No votes

Total votes: 21

Mukki
Astral Realm

Re: SKIPPING AHEAD TO VOL. 8!!!!!!

Post by Mukki »

Matt122004 wrote:Alright, it's pretty easy to see nowyou don't want to skip ahead. It was just an idea. :)

Ch. 1 of Vol. 5 is now 50% translated. :)

-Matt :)
Had to recreate my account, but meh, that's beyond the point.

I'm going to be a minority here, but I don't mind having novel 8 translated early at all. It seems as though many people are under the conception that if novel 8 is translated ahead of time, the other novels won't be translated, which is not the case. As it stands now, however, novel 8 is by far one of the most moving and emotional of the entire ZnT series, and I personally, while I enjoy the series, would be very hard-pressed to have to wait until 2012 to read this novel.

Now I know I can't possibly be the only one out there who feels this way, so I encourage anyone who agrees to vote and post.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Mukki wrote:
Matt122004 wrote:Alright, it's pretty easy to see nowyou don't want to skip ahead. It was just an idea. :)

Ch. 1 of Vol. 5 is now 50% translated. :)

-Matt :)
Had to recreate my account, but meh, that's beyond the point.

I'm going to be a minority here, but I don't mind having novel 8 translated early at all. It seems as though many people are under the conception that if novel 8 is translated ahead of time, the other novels won't be translated, which is not the case. As it stands now, however, novel 8 is by far one of the most moving and emotional of the entire ZnT series, and I personally, while I enjoy the series, would be very hard-pressed to have to wait until 2012 to read this novel.

Now I know I can't possibly be the only one out there who feels this way, so I encourage anyone who agrees to vote and post.
But to really feel the emotion, you need to feel connected to the characters. I refuse to link the anime to the novels because I know there are discrepancies. VERY big ones at that.
Mukki
Astral Realm

Post by Mukki »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:
Mukki wrote: Had to recreate my account, but meh, that's beyond the point.

But to really feel the emotion, you need to feel connected to the characters. I refuse to link the anime to the novels because I know there are discrepancies. VERY big ones at that.
Even with the discrepencies, believe me, I feel very attached to Saito and Louise. That's why this whole waiting game is driving me crazy. I'm sure everyone who's interested has read Sushi-Y's summaries that end at volume 7, but this is where there's the most romantic development for the two which interests most readers (well, at least I'd assume so since it's part of the main plot). This is more akin to a tease having to wait so long for novel 8.
Velian
Astral Realm

Post by Velian »

I'm really going to have to agree with Mukki. Those who are in dire need to know what has happened up to that point can simply read very detailed summaries of one through seven. I am a huge Tsukaima fan I really want to know what happens next, not more details about what I already know. Can any Tsukaima fan really say they don't want more new and less old?

Also, it seems to me as though some believe that if they skip to eight that they will abandon their other projects, which simply isn't true. They would go back to their translations of previous novels after eight and we would have more of the story in our hands. Why limit ourselves to what is already known when we could have new information now and still complete earlier novels later? It makes little sense to me, but my vote is definately "yes" as I want Vol. eight as soon as possible.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

its nice to hear that there is something to look forward to, but it frustrating not knowing what's happening as we lead up to those volumes, so people like to skip ahead but when that happens the drive to translate the volumes before it peters out because after all that excitement its hard for translators to bring back the drive.

That's why i rthink it's best the translators to wrok their way towards the anticipated volumes, im sure there will be some very interesting story arches in between, and while you are impatient to read those volumes, i think it's safe to say that as long as the current translators are active we will easily get to vol.7/8 before the published date.

It might also help if you chip in and help contribute whatever you can to encourage the active translators, help bring more attention to this project.

After all, only can fan translation work with the help of active fans, and just sitting on the sideline wishing things can be faster doesn't usually help. (unless your a void mage and/or haruhi/Yuki )

:wink:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Mukki
Astral Realm

Post by Mukki »

onizuka-gto wrote:its nice to hear that there is something to look forward to, but it frustrating not knowing what's happening as we lead up to those volumes, so people like to skip ahead but when that happens the drive to translate the volumes before it peters out because after all that excitement its hard for translators to bring back the drive.

That's why i rthink it's best the translators to wrok their way towards the anticipated volumes, im sure there will be some very interesting story arches in between, and while you are impatient to read those volumes, i think it's safe to say that as long as the current translators are active we will easily get to vol.7/8 before the published date.

It might also help if you chip in and help contribute whatever you can to encourage the active translators, help bring more attention to this project.

After all, only can fan translation work with the help of active fans, and just sitting on the sideline wishing things can be faster doesn't usually help. (unless your a void mage and/or haruhi/Yuki )

:wink:
But now I ask, if we focus energy on the earlier novels, they'll be taken right back down once the official translations are released. If we focused on volume 8, at least it'd be able to stay up for a while as opossed to say, volume 4 which will end up being taken down the moment it's completed. Doesn't that just seem like a waste of time and energy?

Also, like the above poster stated, there's almost no information about volume 8 available online, whereas volumes 1 - 7 all have detailed summaries available. It seems as though we're spending time re-hashing the same old stuff that's readily available and avoiding any new content. Volume 8 is a fan favorite for a reason.

Besides, as a Haruhi fan, chronological order shouldn't bother you. :twisted:
Prons
Astral Realm

Post by Prons »

I'd really like it if you guys started on volume eight, since there's not too much information about it online. I know that the anime didn't have as much focus on the relationship between the two main characters as the novels did, especially volume 8, so I'd like to have access to as much of this material as possible. To the poster who mentioned having no emotional attachment to the characters, yes it is possible to be emotionally attached while viewing the anime even with the discrepencies, Louise and Saito are the same people.
xeoknight
Astral Realm

Post by xeoknight »

I also agree with Mukki. With the summaries available for volumes 1-7, I say go ahead and translate 8 first. I don't want to have to wait years for new content, especially if 8 is the most moving of the series. It would be a crime to have to drag it out like this. I would be forced to learn Japanese.
Const2k
Senior Project Editor

Post by Const2k »

Mukki & other newcomers, could you please state your reason so that I could understand? So far it it seems to me to be "because I want it and I'm sure everyone wants it as well".
"To Edit & Punish. Securing the Stability of the Wikicommunist State."
Mukki
Astral Realm

Post by Mukki »

Const2k wrote:Mukki & other newcomers, could you please state your reason so that I could understand? So far it it seems to me to be "because I want it and I'm sure everyone wants it as well".
I'm not a newcomer, but I had to re-register yesterday >:/

As far as the others, I can't speak FOR them, but I can say that most of the posts mention the fact that volume 8 is the one volume of Zero no Tsukaima that has the least available information for it online, which is a travesty given the fact that it's supossed to be the most moving.
Const2k
Senior Project Editor

Post by Const2k »

Mukki wrote:I'm not a newcomer, but I had to re-register yesterday >:/

As far as the others, I can't speak FOR them, but I can say that most of the posts mention the fact that volume 8 is the one volume of Zero no Tsukaima that has the least available information for it online, which is a travesty given the fact that it's supossed to be the most moving.
Ah, I must be skipping lines. Welcome (back) then...
Basically, I'd like to know OBJECTIVE reason rather than SUBJECTIVE opinion. Probably too much to ask, and I'm not the one to decide anyway...
But you see, logic is one for all, while opinions vary as much as people do. For example, it seems to me that most important volume of ZnT would be the last one. On the other hand, most important time-wise is finishing 2nd one. You are saying the most "moving" is 8th one and suggest everyone other to be satisfied with previews. Probably you should be as well satisfied with 8th volume preview? Why don't you ask Matt for an overview of 8th volume then, if it's so important to you?
"To Edit & Punish. Securing the Stability of the Wikicommunist State."
Mukki
Astral Realm

Post by Mukki »

Const2k wrote:
Mukki wrote:I'm not a newcomer, but I had to re-register yesterday >:/

Ah, I must be skipping lines. Welcome (back) then...
Basically, I'd like to know OBJECTIVE reason rather than SUBJECTIVE opinion. Probably too much to ask, and I'm not the one to decide anyway...
But you see, logic is one for all, while opinions vary as much as people do. For example, it seems to me that most important volume of ZnT would be the last one. On the other hand, most important time-wise is finishing 2nd one. You are saying the most "moving" is 8th one and suggest everyone other to be satisfied with previews. Probably you should be as well satisfied with 8th volume preview? Why don't you ask Matt for an overview of 8th volume then, if it's so important to you?
Mukki wrote:But now I ask, if we focus energy on the earlier novels, they'll be taken right back down once the official translations are released. If we focused on volume 8, at least it'd be able to stay up for a while as opossed to say, volume 4 which will end up being taken down the moment it's completed. Doesn't that just seem like a waste of time and energy?
:)
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Mukki wrote:
Mukki wrote:But now I ask, if we focus energy on the earlier novels, they'll be taken right back down once the official translations are released. If we focused on volume 8, at least it'd be able to stay up for a while as opossed to say, volume 4 which will end up being taken down the moment it's completed. Doesn't that just seem like a waste of time and energy?
:)
TheGiftedMonkey wrote:Most of the members here keep an archive of the translations in either word or pdf format so the work will definitely not go to waste. I still distribute certain novels that were closed due to licensing to anyone who asks for them. 8)
8)

And I refuse to skip ahead in novels because I want to read word-for-word myself how the characters develop. The only exception is Full Metal Panic in this case for me. But since I know there are some big differences between the anime and the novels of ZnT, enough to warrant me not wanting to read ahead at least, I will wait for the earlier books before touching the later ones.
Mukki
Astral Realm

Post by Mukki »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:
Mukki wrote: :)
TheGiftedMonkey wrote:Most of the members here keep an archive of the translations in either word or pdf format so the work will definitely not go to waste. I still distribute certain novels that were closed due to licensing to anyone who asks for them. 8)
8)

And I refuse to skip ahead in novels because I want to read word-for-word myself how the characters develop. The only exception is Full Metal Panic in this case for me. But since I know there are some big differences between the anime and the novels of ZnT, enough to warrant me not wanting to read ahead at least, I will wait for the earlier books before touching the later ones.
But you wouldn't be forced to read novel 8. I mean, unless someone actually is strapping you to a chair with a gun to your head, in which case I do apologize. But by that logic, you haven't started volume 3 yet, have you?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

No, I haven't even started book 2 yet. :? Still waiting for that to be finished. I remember a year or so back I waited for a few months while one of the Haruhi chapters sat idle. Didn't read a word past it. My fault I know, but I don't like to miss out on anything, nor skip ahead.

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”