Repetition to the point it was sickening...? Help Please!

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Repetition to the point it was sickening...? Help Please

Post by Mystes »

altux wrote:well, maybe it's like that from SaitoXLouise view point
but, regarding the story, altux think it becomes better

basically the story outside the romance itself is very complex
from school fights, work from the headmaster, country problems, international wars, the chaos created because of the legend
altux think it's very-very complicated, yet we still can be easy going and read ZnT up untill now

Just watched dog days and watched Inuyasha a long time ago
altux think it's very hard to disband your homeland yet leave your loved one
but from the series, at least they can call and still talk between the two worlds

altux has just read the translated ones,
altux think Saito should at least reply to the emails his friends and family sent
even if he decides to stay in Louise world
maybe he can send a photo or souvenir to his own world

maybe the ending isn't anout LouisexSaito
but about the legend, Brimir itself, the elves, or etc
I really love the third person speech. :D
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Maybe its normal where he is from? like in Japanese where they also use (sometimes?) their own name instead of a pronoun
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Darklor wrote:Maybe its normal where he is from? like in Japanese where they also use (sometimes?) their own name instead of a pronoun
I actually find it confusing when in Japanese, the use themselves as third person. I mean, what's the point here?
Kira0802

YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Japanese children use it a lot, since it's a rather, I guess, innocent way of referring to oneself? In the end, children are associated with cuteness, and as such, Idols or other moe figures tend to use third person speech to accentuate their kiyuuto level.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
altux
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by altux »

well, altux is from Indonesia actually
it's just a custom that altux inherit from high school
in high school, we all call by names

there's no you and me, or he/she,
we all call by names,
the reason is to be more close and a better friendship,
we are also "enforced" to know our high school mates

it's a good think, altux think
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Sounds like military...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
BALLandCHAIN
Astral Realm

Post by BALLandCHAIN »

OH MY GOD EPIC RANT

I applaud your post however. You brought up good points and supported with examples. Moreover, I agree with most everything you said. They really do repeat that same cycle too much, I feel like maybe there is a lack of creative juices. I often find myself reading, and at a certain point I will think, "hmm, if I was the author, I would have done this instead of this." If I were the author, I would focus a little more on the "saito wants to go home, but Louise/girls want him to stay" dynamic. I would have him be less of a nyan-nyan, and instead of being super motivated to protect Louise, he should find his ass a way back to his world.

I think what may have made the repetition really bad is that the confession took place so early. He confessed. We get it now, he loves Louise. Now we can pretty much predict how the romantic aspect of the story will end. That really blew it... I think they restricted their creative freedom with that. And also, Louise still hasn't replied to his confession?! Come on man... Its been more than a year in ZnT time! If it was me I would ditch her, I'm not interested in people blinded by pride, or other stupid illusions they create by themselves.

ALL THAT SAID. ZnT is still one of the most epic series I have (partially) read, and I can't wait to find out how it ends. Maybe some people can't stand repetition at all. I noticed it for sure and it annoyed me too but this still one of my favorites
LastAccelerator
Astral Realm

Post by LastAccelerator »

The problem with this is mostly with Saito. He suffers from the same problems as almost every other harem protagonist. For every "I'm going to save you for whatever reason" he is offset by a lack of personality or strong will at other situations.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

LastAccelerator wrote:The problem with this is mostly with Saito. He suffers from the same problems as almost every other harem protagonist. For every "I'm going to save you for whatever reason" he is offset by a lack of personality or strong will at other situations.
Well, this is actually very LN-like. Looking at others novels, I think you're right. Though still, it sells.
Kira0802

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

the problem why the main is so weak is because so many people who read them are! if you make them confidence and strong you will have a negative effect on the niche audience. Usually I love reading strong character and be inspired by their strength but on japanese otaku it could have the opposite effect. Again the main is supposedly a vessel for the reader to project and embodies, living a fantasy with all these girls.

baka baka baka
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

b0mb3r wrote:the problem why the main is so weak is because so many people who read them are! if you make them confidence and strong you will have a negative effect on the niche audience. Usually I love reading strong character and be inspired by their strength but on japanese otaku it could have the opposite effect. Again the main is supposedly a vessel for the reader to project and embodies, living a fantasy with all these girls.
Great summary.

Actually, I actually prefer those who start strong and sympathise. For example, Layfon in CSR. But it seems that in LNs, they actually want to make readers and main characters one.
Kira0802

Dragos
Astral Realm

Post by Dragos »

While I agree that Saito and Louise's relationship has hit a wall, in my opinion it's still better than having them become a couple before the story finishes. A lot of drama, and entire characters themselves (such as Siesta), hinge on the fact that Saito is still single. Were Saito and Louise to get together, where would that put Siesta, or the other girls who have shown interest in him since his confession? It's only funny when Saito gets scolded or beat up by Louise because they're not together. Were they going out, it would be of very bad taste to openly show affection to another girl. Sure, he confessed, but since she hasn't actually reciprocated those feelings in an open manner, he's still free to look at, or touch, whoever he wants. Saito may still think that Louise will refuse to fight her pride and defy her family by choosing him.

BALLandCHAIN said "If it was me I would ditch her...". That's a very real way of thinking, especially since several other girls have shown a willingness to enter a relationship with him. Somewhere in him, he may be having those same feelings, but though it's tough, he loves her and knows that she is the only one who could make him truly happy. This light novel series is part harem, and taking that away in the middle would leave some of the fanbase very angry. We probably won't know for sure until the final novel, but chances are Saito and Louise will end up together and those still reading the series will enjoy the sweet ending.

It saddens me that ZnT has become less and less popular; I can understand people becoming frustrated with the lack of character development, but I feel it still has its strong points. This LN series is the first I've ever read, and I utterly enjoyed every novel and eagerly await further translations.
BALLandCHAIN
Astral Realm

Post by BALLandCHAIN »

Bomb3r, I scrolled down and your sig scared the shit out of me. I thought centipedes were crawling on my screen I was like WWWTTTTTFFFFFF!@! Also, don't indirectly call me weak! Just kidding.

Viewing ZnT from a harem standpoint, I am finding it to be somewhat unusual. Novels with a harem aspect typically involve a weak-willed type character who can't choose a girl because
a) they are unaware of the girl(s) feelings.
b) they simply can't choose between them.
Examples- Ryner Lute and Leifon Alseif.
This is because the harem would most likely dissolve unless one of these conditions is met. If the character is both aware of their feelings and able to choose, he will pick one girl (like Saito has), and realistically the other girls are obviously supposed to give up.
-But that hasn't happened here. How has this affected the story? I wonder.

It seems like all harems have a definite reason why they can exist.
CSR Leifon is an idiot who is virtually unable to empathize properly with other humans.
DYD Ryner is convinced he is a monster and does not really even view himself as human so he doesn't even consider such relationships. Additionally he probably tries to protect them by maintaining distance.
HnATohyama Kinichi has his hysteria mode to worry about.
IS I have not read any of it. But in the anime that dude was just the oblivous type.
ToAru Is focused completely on action.

Honestly I think it would have been much better if Saito's harem was maintained using the premise "Saito is determined to go home no matter what." Therefore either he doesn't desire such a relationship or is too focused on his mission to consider it. And then if the author wishes he can slowly change over time due to internal conflict or something else.

At this point I am having intense deja vu haven't I already posted almost the exact same thing?

Edit: Everyone should pay homage to this amazing solo comedy. Accelerator you sir have a talent.
Spoiler! :
AcceleratorSY wrote:Jesus F. Christ.

2 volumes to go and the author still keeps the harem crap going.

My take on the ending.

"Louise, girl I said "I love you" about a thousand times without proving it except by saving you in a timely fashion by being reckless; I'm going home."

"Why?"

"It's where I belong."

"Seriously, that cliché? Let me put in a way you'll understand. You skipped more than a year, so you won't have your friends, and your family thinks your're dead. You'll spend the rest of your life regretting this decicion, and without this girl you "love"."

"But..."

"No, you know what you stupid dog. Go. I'm not being tsundere here, just go. This exchange is only making fun of our personality flaws."

"What do you mean? Our personalities have only slighty wavered in 22 volumes. That means they are perfect."

"But you can only go home with a solar eclipse which only happens once in every 100 and so years."

*Looks to right* "Well there's a completely unknown portal or some crap that connect these worlds, explaining legends from my world or from your world. But, for some hastily explained reason it will close after I cross it. Goodbye."

Achivement Unlocked - Crappy Ending, Only Ending

Achivement Unlocked - Beethoven Was An Alien Spy

Now feed me with your spoilers. Seriously though, what's the progress on Louise's side of things? And where's the slutty maid and the queen at?
c
Astral Realm

Post by c »

I think the author should reduce the amuont of fanservice and focus on the main story because Saito and Louise have already said "I love you" to each other so there is no point in talking about other girls anymore
BALLandCHAIN
Astral Realm

Post by BALLandCHAIN »

Another big flaw with the whole series. The relationships in it do not have even a small semblance of reality. When I'm reading it is so absurd that I can't even take it seriously.

If Louise treated me (and I'm sure ANY man from our era) like that she'd get slapped. Like hell I'll let you beat me unconscious with that horse whip. Also, she loves Saito? No... you don't repeatedly beat someone to the brink of death out of love or even jealousy...

I understand that its a story and reality just gets in the way. But still... I could be wrong but... I feel like at least character interactions shouldn't be too far-fetched. Otherwise how are you supposed to connect to the characters that are constantly making decisions you (I) cant agree with/cant understand? I hate Louise because she is that annoying, and if you actually examine her actions by themselves... she is a very unpleasant person... She will do anything for recognition, and physically abuses the person who rescued her from loneliness.

Saito too never does anything that makes sense in the real world. Again I'm not talking about the physical laws of the universe but just simply how 2 human beings act and react to each other. I know there are definitely people out there weak enough to let Louise trample all over them(she is somewhat needed for survival), I also highly doubt (in fact I flat out deny) that they would risk their lives to save her. That would be putting the cart before the horse.

Siesta and Henrietta both actually have legitimate reasons for loving Saito. Siesta admires and looks up to him as someone who has defied the nobles like no one thought possible. Henrietta has benefited many times from his brave and selfless actions. But they would abandon him when he chooses a girl.

I get why Louise might fall in love too. She was the zero, being made fun of and bullied by everyone. Saito was like a god-sent pillar of support for her. But she doesn't actually love Saito. She loves the person who saved her from loneliness. Probably anyone could take Saito's place and expect a similar result.

The thing which makes me the most mad is that Louise is going to win in the end. The most unpleasant love interest who deserves it the least. I don't view love as some cow-poop like fate, like you don't have a reason or anything for loving someone. I think most likely people fall in love with people that make them happy, or are just lonely and seeking support/companionship and mistake that for love. There is no reason to love Louise. Except that "she makes his heart beat faster" ... an unexplainable physical phenomenon not resulting from Saito's thoughts.

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”