SKIPPING AHEAD TO VOL. 8!!!!!!

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Should we start Translation at Volume 08?

1: Yes (Reason)
33%
2: No (Reason)
67%
3: Other (Give decent explanation)
No votes

Total votes: 21

Matt122004
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

SKIPPING AHEAD TO VOL. 8!!!!!!

Post by Matt122004 »

Since this December markes when Seven Sea's will start publishing the novels with vol. 1. I was thinking maybe we should just skip all the translations of the early volumes and start all work on vol. 8 and above? That way we could catch up to where they are in Japan and we'd be as far as the season 3 storyline. What do you think?

If we can all agree on this, I'll have Serenade_Beta start on the last chapter of vol. 7 and onward.

Ok, all those in favor, say yes. Or add your opinion. Whichever. :)

-Matt :)
Currently Reading: Dantalian no Shoka 1 Image
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: SKIPPING AHEAD TO VOL. 8!!!!!!

Post by onizuka-gto »

well the idea was to remove the volumes one by one.

But i don't have a problem if people want to start at volume 08.

best to add a poll you know, if only to make it look like you care.

;)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Matt122004

Post by Matt122004 »

Maybe I should explain for those that don't know, the third season f the anime will be technnically starting at vol. 8.

Which means for those who still don't know, the second season of the anime ended in volume 7.

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Kinda wish the end of season 2 followed the novel a bit more, would have made season 3 much more anticipated.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

"Yes. Best be on the safe side! " -> safe side???

"Yes & No. Lets do what we can until the released catch up to us, then start at vol.8" -> they will catch up in two or three years ... if they ever catch up :roll:

"No! I dunno what's going on in between!" -> ?? No, I know what's going on in between but I don't want that the translation skips the first volumes :x

Isn't it possible to have an unbiased poll?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

I forgot to give my two cents in my previous post. I highly suggest you don't skip books. We exist to translate all of the author's work to convey the story, and skipping ahead doesn't help that. If you want it to go faster, try and seek out some more people to help translate.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Vaelis wrote: Isn't it possible to have an unbiased poll?
your wish is my command.

unfortunately i don't have enough data to make one, it'll help if you give me some idea what you mean by it.

:roll: :)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

What he meant was the original options make it sound like the only reason you wouldn't want to skip ahead is because you don't know the story. You should change the options to:

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:What he meant was the original options make it sound like the only reason you wouldn't want to skip ahead is because you don't know the story. You should change the options to:

well...it's true. :/

i hate it when you dunno what happened before.

that's why i don't watch sequels because it'll piss me off because they'll refer to things i don't know about.

I hate that.

but meh. i'll change it to the default options....

:roll:

@Onizukademongto
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I would also say no. I think fan translations are usually a lot more true to the original work, since a lot of stuff is changed cross culture to give the book a wider audience. Even if I do go buy the translations, it might not be as close to the original work as translators/editors here could do make it.
Const2k
Senior Project Editor

Post by Const2k »

Matt122004 wrote:Since this December markes when Seven Sea's will start publishing the novels with vol. 1. I was thinking maybe we should just skip all the translations of the early volumes and start all work on vol. 8 and above? That way we could catch up to where they are in Japan and we'd be as far as the season 3 storyline. What do you think?
Speaking of Seven Seas, translation of recent volumes by Baka-Tsuki makes little sense: it was agreed upon that B-T would remove translations by volume as soon as Seven Seas publish their translations. Since 7S will first publish vol.1, then vol.2 etc., B-T will (or, at least, seem to be going to) first remove vol.1, then vol.2 etc.
I've just unregistered inactive translators from vol.2 chapters 5 and 8, so it would be better if we'd finish 2nd volume first, and then 3rd one, rather starting as far as vol.8.

By the way, when chapter is assigned to "None", its status is clear and unambiguous, unlike when it's status is "empty", so I'd ask everyone NOT to remove these 'None's.

P.S. Oh, Matt, I've almost forgot to thank you for organizing this... So, THANK YOU!
Keep up the good work, and we'll assist with editing and what not, where possible.
"To Edit & Punish. Securing the Stability of the Wikicommunist State."
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Const2k wrote:
Matt122004 wrote:Since this December markes when Seven Sea's will start publishing the novels with vol. 1. I was thinking maybe we should just skip all the translations of the early volumes and start all work on vol. 8 and above? That way we could catch up to where they are in Japan and we'd be as far as the season 3 storyline. What do you think?
Speaking of Seven Seas, translation of recent volumes by Baka-Tsuki makes little sense: it was agreed upon that B-T would remove translations by volume as soon as Seven Seas publish their translations. Since 7S will first publish vol.1, then vol.2 etc., B-T will (or, at least, seem to be going to) first remove vol.1, then vol.2 etc.
Most of the members here keep an archive of the translations in either word or pdf format so the work will definitely not go to waste. I still distribute certain novels that were closed due to licensing to anyone who asks for them. 8)
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

I would vote against it.

Skipping to vol 8th would good idea if anime would have been truthful to the novels and you would know basically everything that happens in the novels, but anime IS NOT TRUTHFUL to the novels - they skipped just too many things.

While the first season is most close to the original novel volumes 1-3 the secodn season differs from the novels quite a bit. to skip it to 8th volume seems to be ridiculous as you would be skipping some scnes as well that are important enough ones.

Do not forget, Matt, that JC Staff did a VERY CRAPPY job on following novels, so skipping it all to volume 8th is not good in my opinion.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

gotta admit, the secon series was rubbish.

i was appalled by it.

They skipped a lot from the novel, it was not nothing like SHnY.

However, i'll just like to mention that this is simple a readers opinion poll, if the translators want to skip to vol.8 well....you have only Matt to blame, because he's the one who talks to them!

:P :roll:

@Onizukademongto
Matt122004

Post by Matt122004 »

Alright, it's pretty easy to see nowyou don't want to skip ahead. It was just an idea. :)

Ch. 1 of Vol. 5 is now 50% translated. :)

Currently Reading: Dantalian no Shoka 1 Image

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”