Considering my options.

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Considering my options.

Post by ainsoph9 »

As conventional wisdom says, if the lottery was such a great way to make money quickly, effectively, and efficiently, then why are there not millions of millionaires in the world? Actually, statistics show that most people who win the lottery are poorer and less happy than they were before they won the lottery within five years of winning the lottery. Causes cited are generally because of family, friends, lack of wisdom, squandering of funds, and all of the usual traps that come with fame and fortune.

Going back to Teh_ping's comments, not being personally familiar with the education system in Singapore (costs, means of education, how much education means, what schools are better, etc.) makes things difficult to have a say on. That said, if scholarships are available, fight for them tooth and nail. Any government, religious, humanitarian, social, or whatever kind of aid that can be had should be taken advantage of by all means. While school choices are difficult and daunting, do not let that become a discouragement. Probably the best service to decide on the school that one can do for oneself is to visit the school and talk with students, staff, and professors. Ask if it is possible to sit in on classes, to stay with a student for a night, or to get a tour of the campus. Most schools will be happy to do this service. Regardless of the school chosen, be sure that the study environment and culture of the school is the right one. If someone cannot choose a school that will allow them to look back with pride and good memories on their college or university years, then the school is probably not worth it. However, do not allow this to override the fact that it is school, which means that it is meant for learning.

Moving on, the army is a good way to go for some people, as some of the people on this forum can attest. If Singapore offers to pay for university while serving the country, why not? Perhaps, one can become an engineer, artist, teacher, salesman, or pastor in the meantime.

One of the bottom lines to career and college decisions is money and joy. Although money and joy are two separate things, they are not necessarily mutually exclusive. If one thinks that money is important in life in one way or another, then often they will pursue a career that earns a lot of money. The question is, "Do they have a life of joy?" One can pick a career that earns a lot of money, but they can also be miserable. Many people are in this position, more than anyone would like to admit. Likewise, some people have a lot of joy in their lives, but they do not have a lot of money. Some people can have both. Whatever the case is, these two factors will play a major role in career and college decisions because career and college decisions become a means to an end. Asking such questions will often help.

Finally, not to get all religious or anything, but seeing the idea of becoming a pastor was brought up, praying, meditation, thinking, and things of the sort often help influence people in what they do in their lives. Looking to elders and hearing their life stories will often open gateways as well.
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

That's why I said for him to try... I mean might as well give a shot just don't expect it to work. I do realize winning so much money at once can end up having negative consequences but you only have to use it to wisely to avoid problems.

Also I feel a little bad after reading this thread. I will have to choose the university I go to before the end of the year and still have no idea what I want to do... Hell I am not even torn between different things I simply have no idea at all.
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ainsoph9 wrote:Perhaps, one can become an artist, engineer, teacher, salesman, or pastor in the meantime.
Fixed.
chrnno wrote:Hell I am not even torn between different things I simply have no idea at all.
coughs *artist* coughs

baka baka baka
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Why can't you take this seriously bomber?

I can give you this advice, either:

A: Do what you want to do.

B: Do what you know you can do.

Obviously option A is preferred, but many people opt for B instead for varying reasons. I can't say which you should take because I don't know you personally, nor do I think it appropriate or responsible as a friend to tell you which option to go with. As much as I hate to say it, when it comes to the most important decisions in our lives, we really are alone. The most anyone can do is try to persuade or dissuade you from an option, this is called advice. The only responsible advice that I can give is to tell you that whatever decision you decide to make, it is not the end of the world. Remember that you have your entire life ahead of you. Obviously this kind of decision can alter the entire course of your life, but it does not define who you are and it will not define who you eventually become. Who you are and who you will be are decided by your actions and the concept you have of your self. Nobody can take that away from you. I wish you good luck in all your endeavors regardless of which decision you choose and that you find happiness as well.

-Rect
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

b0mb3r he suggested things... Me if you say me to throw a d20 to see what I would do, I would actually consider it... In fact that's my last resort if I don't come up with something after all I could blame fate if things go wrong...

The best thing is actually go and see how the day-to-day of each profession is so you have an idea of what you are actually going for. That helped me remove a few professions from the list, shame it's still so big.
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Honestly, I'm buckling from the pressure that everyone is putting on me, and I may flip any moment soon. Trying to preoccupy myself with the translations, though I have to say, I'm still distracted.

The chances of me getting into university is really, really slim...... I'm not going overseas to study because my family ain't rich, and I don't want to burden my parents (a bit too late, I guess.). Army may be the way, but I'll have to work extremely hard to at least be an officer (and to top it off, I'll have to retire at 40 if I choose the army, and the jobs available for me after that is limited.). These are my top two choices.

Ainsoph9, scholarships are a premium here in Singapore. Honestly, unless I get triple A's, it's impossible to even apply for one. That's how hard it is to get a scholarship. I believe they only offer scholarships to the top 5% of the cohort. And considering that there are 10000 students taking the a levels a year, yeah.

And Rect, I'm a mix of both types, I'll do whatever I like and what I can do. To me, doing something that you don't like is almost the same as boring to me, there just doesn't seem to be any meaning for me to do these if I don't have the passion for it. However, there's always something called talent. Even though I like art, I can't do very well in it. It's not as simple as say work hard on it because really, others who are more talented will, for many instances, be better. A case of hard work hardly works. And to be honest, although I don't have any real weaknesses (apart from being lazy, which is definitely the reason why I did so badly), I don't really have that many strengths. In RPG terms, I'm like someone whose attributes are balanced throughout.

I'll like to thank everyone for their feedback, especially to Ainsoph9 and Rectifier. And good luck to chrnno in choosing a profession that you want to do, a lot of my peers are in the same situation as you, so I kinda understand how that feels.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Teh_ping wrote:Even though I like art, I can't do very well in it. It's not as simple as say work hard on it because really, others who are more talented will, for many instances, be better. A case of hard work hardly works.
I swear I won't try to persuade you to be an artist but I have to disagree with your statement man. Yes there alot of talented of people, even I feel I am not talented it. But hard work is what brings out those talent. I seen talented people but they are just plain lazy and think they can get by which pissed me off at times since I find art to be best with real effort without a decent artwork to awarded (which in this case you are right by that point cause I've seen disabled artist's work and by the world's standard not great.) Anything else now comes out of my mouth will probably not be helpful since the only person who has to make the decision is yourself and we can only guide you. So yeah sorry if i put any pressure on you just want to wish you well. Here's a quote:

"Genius is an infinite capacity for taking pains."

baka baka baka
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Ah....one year old thread but we are in the same straits my friend....Same A-Level batch same fate....sigh....

The unis here are pretty screwed up to say the least...

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Fortunately, I'm still enough young to enjoy my life. though it won't last long...
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

kira0802 wrote:Fortunately, I'm still enough young to enjoy my life. though it won't last long...
Fortunately you are not down here. The unis else where are ultra damned generous and wide ranging in choice compared to here. At least elsewhere you CAN get a tertiary education even if it isn't a top college. Here....good luck, go rot in hell. F-ed up...

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Basically, the options here are: study subjects that will be beneficial to the country. They push on business. And there are Sciences, Arts and Social Sciences, and Engineering. All geared towards how to increase the country's revenue. You can't even survive with a high school certicate here, let alone the basic O levels. A diploma at the minimum.
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Teh_ping wrote:Basically, the options here are: study subjects that will be beneficial to the country. They push on business. And there are Sciences, Arts and Social Sciences, and Engineering. All geared towards how to increase the country's revenue. You can't even survive with a high school certicate here, let alone the basic O levels. A diploma at the minimum.
Utter joke right? Seriously...after what they did with the education system......

Poly will only take one year more than a straight uni person after conscription but the chances of entering a uni from a poly is not assured.

If you can't make for overseas then the only way I see it is for poly to uni or retake A-levels....and after the stagnation of conscription, the latter won't be easy.

Me, I'm either trying the former or attempting to strike out for Japan uni...at least both options I have choice of taking biology...my real strength. Taking maths when you naturally suck at it is suicide as I found out....

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

As for me, I'm not rich, so yeah, I'm stuck.

It's not even a joke, it's a robbery of opportunities. Granted, I can understand why Singapore needs such a system, but you still have to think about the people. Not everyone can be a businessman, not everyone can be a scientist, not everyone can be a doctor. That is why there's a brain drain and so on.

I'm practically an all-rounder, so this is bad for me when I don't even have an outstanding grade. Master of none, they say.
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Teh_ping wrote:As for me, I'm not rich, so yeah, I'm stuck.

It's not even a joke, it's a robbery of opportunities. Granted, I can understand why Singapore needs such a system, but you still have to think about the people. Not everyone can be a businessman, not everyone can be a scientist, not everyone can be a doctor. That is why there's a brain drain and so on.
And people wonder why my mood is perpetually so dark and hate filled....Hell even trying for Japan is also a question mark. God knows taking a bio entrance test in Jap is ....head breaking to put it mildly...It's the only foreign country whose education I trust though....besides the US and that is far beyond my cash limits...

I'm only really good at languages...GP was a B...and bio....but the damned system robbed me of that opportunity...why? Because I don't take chemistry in O-level.....WTF...obviously this nation has never heard of bridging modules...So the straight As I got for biology all throughout my middle school days were for naught. idiots

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I'm not rig here neither. The only way I can make to the US is by getting a scholarship...though I'll probably attend the local university. However, the problem is if I can pass or not, with all those people coming because the cost is less than 4000$ per term, I think.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.

Return to “Commune”