Considering my options.

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Considering my options.

Post by Teh_ping »

Okay, just got my 'A' levels results, and they ain't too good. 3 'C's and 1 D for GP, a lot worse than what I got for prelims

Right now, I'm considering my options about life after Army. Any suggestions on what I should do outside?

If you wondering, my original aim is to get to a Civil Engineering course. No particular interests.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Re: Considering my options.

Post by ainsoph9 »

Given that I work as an electrical engineer, several questions are generally asked:

1. Does one apply themselves properly?
2. Which subjects are the best?
3. Which subjects are the worst?
4. What methods are used for studying?
5. Does a way to receive help exist?

More questions like these exist, but the answers to them are generally fairly straightforward. My assumption is that you are in high school still, right? If so, working hard in college should be able to get rid of that problem. If you are in college though, a different career track might be a good idea. A lot of engineering students in college who decide against becoming engineers often become business majors, and they generally are quite successful in life. Some decide to go into the sciences like physics, chemistry, etc. It all depends on the individual.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

I'll second the comment about engineering students: When I took my first class in the School of Engineering, we had about 300 students in the auditorium. Five years later, when I graduated, there were about 25-30 of us left. From what we saw, most of the people who bailed went to the School of Business.

This was the University of Michigan, years 1976 to 1981, but I don't think things have changed all that much.

Funny thing, though: I never used my degree in Mechanical Engineering to do such work. I found myself addicted to computers early on, by my second semester in fact, and though I have no degree in the subject, it has been my career ever since. I've never lacked work, nor have I ever had to go without a paycheck.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Lol to not sound like a religious fascist who tries to convert I encourage you to be an artist. That's just my opinion and I do not know how well Singapore appreciate art. If you can not be a artist, at least be creative when you are an engineer. I've seen engineers made incredible and nifty stuffs so I support anyone who has a creative drive.

baka baka baka
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

As I'm currently trying to become an engineer in college right now, I can honestly tell you that work is much more important than being slightly more intelligent than everyone else in your class. I can attest to that personally... :|

That being said, you do need at least an above average intelligence to have a good chance. A dummy could do it easily if they got an orgasm every time they worked, but 99.9% of people don't get that.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

^ dang you an engineer? Is there any artist on this forum at all?

baka baka baka
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

We're everywhere :lol:
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

K, after thinking about it, here are my options (I guess)

1. Apply for university (or you guys my call it college).
This is going to be difficult. There's 3 major universities in Singapore, and among them, I'm not interested in going for one of them. There are also several private institutes, but they don't exactly interest me. This is supposedly the ideal option, but as there's about 35000 students applying for these places it's going to be hard. Engineering is one of the easier courses to get in, and there are two universities that I'm interested in. NUS and NTU. The requirements for NUS is said to be harder to meet than that of NTU, as NUS is a better university, but with my grades now, I'm not certain that I'll even be able to get into NTU.

2.Stay in the Army after National Service. A stable job, I guess, though the retirement age is 40.

3.Go be a teacher, though with my grades, I wonder what I can teach.

4.Work as a salesman and try to work my way up.

5.Work as a pastor.

6.Maybe go to a polytechnic. That'll take 3 years though.

7. Go overseas.

8.NEET (This is the worst case scenario)
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

^ 9. follows b0mb3r's advice and becomes an artist.

baka baka baka
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

^I'll have added that in too if I'm confident in my art. Always failed art in primary school and I had to work hard to get a grade 'A'. Even so, I'm only ranked among the middle in school.

Also, though the Singaporean government is trying to promote the arts, it's not exactly picking up right now. In fact, I'll say that it's actually getting worse.
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Well, you could try winning the lottery you would be set up for life. At least here there are those who pay enough to set you up for life... :D But then it is freaking hard to win... :?
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

man lottery is like trying to predict the weather without equipments and your natural senses.

baka baka baka
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

That is why I said to try... Also he can start low and go for the ones which it's a chance in a thousand then work his way up until the ones that are one chance in 50million...

Also at least in my city it's very easy to predict the weather... It's gonna rain, you have a very good chance of being right.
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

There's a better chance of a 7.0 earthquake in NYC than winning the lottery. It's a waste of money, time, and effort to try.
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Hum... You speak as if there is only one... Sure the bigger prizes are almost impossible to win but the lesser ones have good chances and it's not like the money you spend to try would make great difference..

Return to “Commune”