How did you learn Japanese?

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Academically
17%
Self-study
79%
Other (Please include in post.)
3%

Total votes: 63

YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I'm just interested.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: How did you learn Japanese?

Post by hobogunner »

This depends, I'm learning Japanese (Don't know if I can vote here. :roll: ).

Attempting to do so through 3 different mediums: a "Learn Japanese" textbook I bought, "Berlitz: Japanese" software (just started, seems slow, but I could only pass one of the expert courses), and am translating. I figure pounding it into your brain can't hurt. :lol: (Should probably switch my vote to self study.)
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:I'm just interested.
mix of everything (friends, jpop, anime, manga, LN, bishoujo game, 2 years of non-intensive formal classes + 1 year of extreme intensive JLPT2 prep class when I was still working for someone else, denshi jisho, alc, internet, self study of textbooks, Doraneko). having a sensei is good for clearing out questions, understanding and practicing correct protocols, etc. etc.

I know despite all that, I still suck.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

larethian wrote:I know despite all that, I still suck.
そんなことはないよ、Lare兄さん。

I think it's been a year since I started learning. The only thing I really studied were visual novels. I also read Tae-Kim's Guide to Japanese for some of the basic grammar. The rest I just picked up.

Translation also helped.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Crammed 3000 moonrunes into my head in 2.5 months (Heisig I love you) and got on reading eroges.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

larethian wrote:I know despite all that, I still suck.
You're doing better than I am, I think.

In my case, I've read a number of books (6-10?), listened to a set of 90 learning CDs (Pimsleur), and most of what JapanesePod101.com has to offer. After getting to the point where it seemed every new thing into my head caused something else to fall out (a.k.a. hitting a wall), I started pitching in here to force myself up a notch. That was nearly two years ago now. I'm a lot better than I was, but still far from "good", as far as I'm concerned. It typically takes me about 45 minutes to transcribe from a printed page into my computer, and then another hour to translate that same page . . . unless I get stuck on a phrase.

And to do that, I have to have my dictionary handy for the transcribing, and my computer handy for the translation (it parses the text and digs up all the dictionary definitions I might need). I piece together the puzzle from that point. Computers don't think like humans, after all.

Not exactly proficient enough to read Japanese text for leisure...
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

In my current work as a software engineer, I had to (1) analyze program code containing only japanese comments,
and (2) pore through various technical documentation written only in japanese during programming sessions. Of course
I have to translate what I can scrounge from (1) and (2) to my fellow developers in english and in filipino (>_<). Sometimes
I get throw^H^H^H^H^H deployed to Nagoya for some tortu^H^H^H^H^H specialized project work.

At least those nightmares scenarios did contribute greatly to my japanese language learning, although my listening
comprehension is still horrible (^_^) ...
まず隗より始めよ。
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

It appears that playing visual novels is conducive to learning Japanese.

It's interesting that most of us didn't learn through the academic route. I suppose that having classes would increase exposure, (if only just by a little,) but I guess the only thing that one really needs is motivation. Whether it be out of necessity or interest (read: obsession/love).

How many of you speak Japanese regularly?
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:It's interesting that most of us didn't learn through the academic route. I suppose that having classes would increase exposure, (if only just by a little,) but I guess the only thing that one really needs is motivation. Whether it be out of necessity or interest (read: obsession/love).
The only Japanese classes offered near where I live are in universities, which charge big $$$ them. As far as I know, the only people who take those courses past the introductory level are intending to become professional translators, and frankly, introductory classes only barely scratch the surface. You have to study quite a bit before you can be good enough to translate manga, let alone light novels.

I take a somewhat perverse pride in never having taken any formal classes since college. In my work (software development), if there is something I don't know how to do, but need to do, then the chances I will find it in some university course, or even a book, are almost nil. Everything is self-taught. Worse, my degree is in something else: Mechanical Engineering!
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:It's interesting that most of us didn't learn through the academic route. I suppose that having classes would increase exposure, (if only just by a little,) but I guess the only thing that one really needs is motivation. Whether it be out of necessity or interest (read: obsession/love).

I have no classes around me. I would have if I chose to go to Georgia for college, but, I just can't learn in a class. I either learn myself and can sometimes do it one-on-one. (Which is funny, because I never did my Latin homework or went the extra mile with it.)

My main motivation was to translate here, as well as Teh_Ping. :roll: (Second motivation was to understand anime with my back turned to my TV)

I only randomly speak Japanese when I'm at the gym, and it's generally not nice. (Me trying to figure out how to threaten myself to go further, don't know how widely accepted ["If you don't take me this last mile I'm going to saw you off, you f*cking legs." then I punch them attempting to cramp them up] would be there. [Still have no idea how to actually say that in Japanese.])

Nobody around me knows Japanese at all, so, that idea just sort of went out. Tagalog / Thai on the other hand, I can speak somewhat freely depending on the parent I'm with. (I don't know much of it, but I can understand enough spoken for some rough small-talk.)
rpapo wrote:I take a somewhat perverse pride in never having taken any formal classes since college. In my work (software development), if there is something I don't know how to do, but need to do, then the chances I will find it in some university course, or even a book, are almost nil. Everything is self-taught. Worse, my degree is in something else: Mechanical Engineering!
:lol: I'm majoring in Computer Science, but also gaining my ASE certification / LADBS (welding) certification too, just in case I don't use my degree whatsoever.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Though I haven't finished learning yet, it would be self-study. Holy, there are many people screaming that English classes should go to hell in school here. What about Japanese!?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
pa3ck123
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by pa3ck123 »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:It appears that playing visual novels is conducive to learning Japanese.

It's interesting that most of us didn't learn through the academic route. I suppose that having classes would increase exposure, (if only just by a little,) but I guess the only thing that one really needs is motivation. Whether it be out of necessity or interest (read: obsession/love).

Actually thought that atleast one of us took the academic route. XD also self-studied mainly through a cram-school book about grammar and tae kim guide which i wasnt abe to finish... and from anime/VN/manga i guess.. XD though in totality, i guess i have less than a year of background.. :(
Image Napolitan Rush!!!
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Self-study mainly...

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

In my younger teenage years it was from Japanese music, Anime, AV and Horror movies.

These days its from my Japanese circle of acquaintances, karaoke and of course the most simplistic of reasons, to communicate with "彼女" :lol:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

I don't really think I've started learning until I started doing it... it's like getting a job first, then go back to school to earn my required paper qualifications for it.

Well for most of it I started with the usual "Start with kana, know a little bit of Kanji, then start writing/speaking/hearing some of it and gradually increase your vocabulary as you go."

And I'm really thankful to have an electronic dictionary in my phone. :mrgreen:

Now I have acquaintances in which I keep in contact with mostly by using Twitter and Skype.
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.

Return to “Commune”