How did you come in contact with LNs/Mangas ?

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you learn about LNs/Mangas?

Friends
29%
Advertisements
No votes
World wide Web
43%
Franchises
No votes
TV
29%

Total votes: 21

chancs
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

How did you come in contact with LNs/Mangas ?

Post by chancs »

Sometimes while reading the LNs and Mangas I wonder what would I be doing then if i had not known about those.

:arrow: Flashback...

I started with my cartoons on TVs like "Duck Tails", "Gummy Bear", "Tom n Jerry". Then during my senior secondary level, I came in contact with "Naruto" which I found out to be extremely hilarious :lol: :lol: But due to the rights issues, it was always repeated from the 1st ep (they weren't able to dub it). Afterwards I learned about "Animex" and was very fascinated by "Inuyasha". But still I thrived for Naruto. I started searching on the net for the episodes.

I completed watching the whole 1st season and downloaded the 2nd one. But curiosity took over me. I searced and searched for further episodes and came across the manga. Then came "Bleach", "One Piece" and what not. :roll: :roll:

LNs - Hats of to Baka-Tsuki. My very first novel was SAO on BT when I was searching for the best anime on "Animelist.net" after exhausting my choices. Then started the journey through LNs with SAO, DxD, Campione and others. Without them I don't know what I would have done. :lol: :lol:

What about you guys :?: :?:
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Re: How did you come in contact with LNs/Mangas ?

Post by rpapo »

My daughter and her friend roped me into driving them out to a university anime-con when they weren't old enough to go by themselves yet, let alone drive. I already had interest in the Japanese language, but thought of anime as stuff like Transformers and Simba the White Lion.

Didn't discover manga until after I started studying Japanese in earnest (early 2008), and light novels towards the end of 2009.
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

rpapo wrote:My daughter and her friend roped me into driving them out to a university anime-con when they weren't old enough to go by themselves yet, let alone drive. I already had interest in the Japanese language, but thought of anime as stuff like Transformers and Simba the White Lion.

Didn't discover manga until after I started studying Japanese in earnest (early 2008), and light novels towards the end of 2009.
Wow...you are a family person. :D
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Before 2009 : I was randomly watching anime shows on TV (Naruto, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh...). My sister started reading shojo mangas before me.
Summer 2009 : A channel broadcasting japanese anime was created. I watched Negima! within the free period of access, then I read its manga. I slowly started watching anime and reading manga since then.
Autumn 2010 : Watched the simulcast of TWGOK. My motivation to read more manga and to watch more animes rose from this point.
2011 : Reading SAO on BT because the synopsis interested me. Volume 2 wasn't fully translated, HSDxD hasn't started yet when I started SAO. My sister started reading BL.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

chancs wrote:Wow...you are a family person. :D
I'm older than I look. 8) My kids are now grown, in their twenties. That anime-con stuff was around 1999-2000, when my daughter was about fifteen.
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

rpapo wrote:
chancs wrote:Wow...you are a family person. :D
I'm older than I look. 8) My kids are now grown, in their twenties. That anime-con stuff was around 1999-2000, when my daughter was about fifteen.
Then you are at my dad's age. :lol: :lol:
Aleaccipiter
Literature Club Member

Post by Aleaccipiter »

First saw an anime on TV, then while surfing stumbled upon manga and LNs
Sorry for my poor english, it's my third language :)
Ad astra per aspera. Lassitudo - vixero !!!
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

I knew a girl when I was 9 or 10 who loved mangas and anime. One day she put me on naruto and I couldn't stop. I remember using an old and random website to watch the anime! I never knew mangas and LN existed! Then i discovered one I had finished looking at all the naruto for the third time that a manga existed and it was even more advanced than the anime! Was soo happy :)

By the time I discovered how anime and mangas worked, I had already watched 5 depressing animes which made me stop durant 4 years from watching new ones, except for naruto.

Well one year ago I heard about ZnT and I felt in love with the story :D Then I met kira and this website who offered me that idea of sharing passion of japanese stories! Recently, I added Toradora to my list of LN/anime that won't ever be lost in my mind.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

I didn't know about mangas until I saw a classmate's copy of Rurouni Kenshin volume 8 lying on his desk. I asked to borrow it, and the rest is history.

LNs was a bit more complicated. I always knew that many anime/manga were based off of LN material, but I always considered LNs to be too verbose or wordy to get into. Manga seemed easier to work with, pictures and all, explanations condensed to easily understandable, etc.

But the problem came when the manga just didn't update fast enough. Most memorable part? When I was reading the Chinese scanlations for the SAO manga (which was only mediocre, to be honest). I finally caved, and went to hunt down the LNs, finding them on some previously unknown location called Baka-Tsuki.

SAO, Fate-Zero, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. Congratulations, BT, you now officially own a portion of my soul.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Well, I'm not a manga person....

Back in the winter of 2010, I started watching shows, then a friend of mine about 2 months later was like "Hey, you should read this: <B-T Link to TAMNI>."

.....the rest is history. :lol:
Dreyakis wrote:Congratulations, BT, you now officially own a portion of my soul.
^the truth.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
stellarroze
Senior Project Translator

Post by stellarroze »

My first contact with light novels was when I borrowed .hack//A.I. Buster from my library about seven years ago. I never really got into light novels until I read Angel Beats Track Zero then Baka to Test on B-T. I got into anime when I first saw .hack//SIGN on TV, though I'd watched Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, Digimon and Pokemon before.
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

stellarroze wrote:Cardcaptors, Digimon and Pokemon before.
Forgot to mention these. Well I can say that these 3 were also the animes of my childhood ^^
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Dubbed dragon ball...?

Isnt dragon ball like where we all actually came in contact with Anime?

That aside... My first contact with light novel... was actually a mistake... A certain manga shop near my house place some new LNs in the manga section, and i made a mistake buying one one day. Since the money is spent, might as well read it... And then I got interested, now, LN is preferred as compared to manga, and sometimes even anime! Just too bad I can eat while watching anime, but not eat while reading novel!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Dubbed dragon ball...?

Isnt dragon ball like where we all actually came in contact with Anime?
I never watched dragon ball.. wasn't translated in french :( :)
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

Silimir wrote:
stellarroze wrote:Cardcaptors, Digimon and Pokemon before.
Forgot to mention these. Well I can say that these 3 were also the animes of my childhood ^^
Cardcaptors was my favourite. I was in 7th standard :D Pokemon...they just showed Jhonto and Orange league in dubbed and then started repeating from the beginning :roll: Digimon I started watching with Bayblade in my +2 level. :wink:

Return to “Commune”