Yumeiro Patissiere

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Yumeiro Patissiere

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I doubt any of you have been watching this show. It's not exactly a big show of the last couple seasons--a shoujo show about a girl trying to become a pastry chef. However, I though I might make a general recommendation: Yumeiro Patissiere has been the show of the last few seasons I have consistently liked best, except for Angel Beats.

It starts off as nothing special. It looks like a rather mediocre, if cute, shoujo bildungsroman. It's a bit of a reverse harem, with three dashing male protagonists, and--for those of us who do not fantasize about cute middle school boys--this would generally be a turn-off, but I've found the show to be of high enough quality that even as someone so far from the target audience, I find myself anticipating it coming out each week.

The characters are not particularly novel, nor are the plots anything but predictable, yet the author is such a masterful storyteller I can not help but overlook these usually ruinous problems. Even when the second half of the show turns into tournament shoujo (which, I must say, I have never seen before, for as common as tournament shounen is, I had yet to run into the shoujo equivalent).

Of all the praise I can give it, the greatest is how much it makes me compare it to CardCaptor Sakura. They both have similar, not particularly original or endearing characters. They both have a mediocre, episodic plot. And yet they are both so well told, I cannot help but hold them in high regard.

If you hated CardCaptor Sakura, I can't imagine you would enjoy Yumeiro Patissiere. As much as I like the show, it's just not going to hold appeal for all. But for the rest of us, I would suggest giving Yumeiro Patissiere a try.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Re: Yumeiro Patissiere

Post by ainsoph9 »

Agreed. The series actually is somewhat surprisingly good. It was not initially on my radar of things to watch for the season when it began. However, it really caught on like a eating candy. The only complaint about the series is that Ichigo's voice sometimes can be like nails on a chalkboard. The series almost has the Cardcaptor Sakura feel as Bttc mentioned along with the whole Yakitate Japan! vibe. (Actually, it pretty much is the shoujo version of Yakitate Japan!) One thing though:
Spoiler! :
Is it just me? Or, why does it seem like Ichigo is going to go after Makoto? What is it with girls going after complete jerks?
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Well, Makato is the show's Tsundere.
Administrator
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Yay!
Administrator
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I somewhat fail to see the need for the time skip, but I have not read the manga yet. I somehow get the feeling that they are going to pull a Shugo Chara on us.

Return to “Animes”