So does anyone else think...

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

So does anyone else think...

Post by Fushichou »

In 2007 when I first joined the BT forum, I was a freshman in high school and I loved stories like Suzumiya Haruhi. But after all this time, one would think that it's biggest audience was composed of high school-age students across the world, and both the author and anime producers utterly failed to capitalize upon that. It blew up, but then suffered attrition due to an aging target group. Why is this? Why do they wait so long in so many cases similar to this one?

Now I'm in college and I don't see myself appreciating many current anime at all. The only one I'm watching with interest is Steins; Gate, which prompted me to come to this realization (that story consists of college-aged characters or older).
Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: So does anyone else think...

Post by Doraneko »

Fushichou wrote:In 2007 when I first joined the BT forum, I was a freshman in high school and I loved stories like Suzumiya Haruhi. But after all this time, one would think that it's biggest audience was composed of high school-age students across the world, and both the author and anime producers utterly failed to capitalize upon that. It blew up, but then suffered attrition due to an aging target group. Why is this? Why do they wait so long in so many cases similar to this one?
Particular reasons on why Kadokawa held back is unknown. Especially with the insane popularity during S1, having three seasons in a roll at that time was no problem at all. Speculations range from failed business strategies to Tanigawa being one of the culprits.

Are there really many cases similar to this? I cannot recall any close example... Series not getting sequels are normal enough. But the way the Haruhi franchise gets wasted certainly sets a new standard in the industry.

As for high school-age students being the biggest audience... Well the situation may differ across different regions. At least in Japan the target audience of late night anime are young adults, despite of the frequent occurrence of high school settings. The biggest market of anime is of course kids with all kinds of merchandise and toys saleable to them. In contrast, high school students have relatively limited consumption power. Most of them don't even have the energy to stay up at night to watch anime due to the stress from university exam preparation.
Now I'm in college and I don't see myself appreciating many current anime at all. The only one I'm watching with interest is Steins; Gate, which prompted me to come to this realization (that story consists of college-aged characters or older).
Interestingly I am exactly the opposite. When I started to join the fandom as a high school student I limited myself to Miyazaki works and "intellectually inspiring" series like Serial Experiment Lain and Haibane Renmei. Since then I have been slowly warming to other genres. By now I watch almost everything (except those obligatory fanservice series you can find every season). I am now in the graduate school btw.

And for anime with college-aged characters, there are still quite a few of them available, such as Honey and Clover. Most of them are very enjoyable IMO.

As for having working adults as protagonist, just in this season we already have Tiger and Bunny. The superhero premise may be unreal, but the issues faced by the protagonist are realistic enough and can arouse sympathy from those who are in the labour force and have their own families.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Well, as for me, I first discovered the long running anime series, Detective Conan. I started watching this when I was 10. It means that a lot of anime-watchers aren't all high school students. Though I'm wondering too about why many good novels don't get animated. I mean, OK, Haruhi at LEAST got a season and a half (Endless 8=Wasted 8) and a movie, but why did Bungaku shoujo get oonly THREE OVA and a 9-volumes compressed movie? I really hope that others come out. Also, why hasn't Boku wa Tomodachi been green-lit yet?

As for the current animes, I don't find them too bad. It's maybe just a question of taste.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Fushichou wrote:Now I'm in college and I don't see myself appreciating many current anime at all. The only one I'm watching with interest is Steins; Gate, which prompted me to come to this realization (that story consists of college-aged characters or older).
Lol feel the same way. If u been around I have been complaining about the stale of the anime industry with ainsoph. We talk about issue, the reason behind it, and how to improve anime. A great anime series that takes place in college is Genshiken. I am now on the quest of finding interesting anime whose premise isn't based on cliches, school setting and young protagonist. Well I don't mind if the the youngness if it only in different worlds.

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I started watching anime at a very young age. It was either Kimba the Lion (which I do not remember seeing, but my mother swears up and down the line that we watched it together) or Thundercats (yes, it is anime). Since then, I have seen literally hundreds of series. So, yeah, I have been around the block a few times, not to brag or anything.

On another note, b0mb3r is going to die of asphyxiation soon here from holding his breath for the "right" series. If he finds it, he just might marry it. :P
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ainsoph9 wrote:On another note, b0mb3r is going to die of asphyxiation soon here from holding his breath for the "right" series. If he finds it, he just might marry it. :P
It won't be the lack of oxygen that will kill me rather is the first name of my wife. If her last name is "Right" and her first name is "Always" I'm screwed.

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

You might want to consider becoming a monk...
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ainsoph9 wrote:You might want to consider becoming a monk...
and shave my head and be a homosexual and not even allow to give hugs or receive them?! never!

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I never said what religion, now did I?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

hmm doesn't matter does it? is pretty universal what I said. then again i'm not being serious either.

baka baka baka
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Ainsoph, the 'on another / side note' should never be used when b0mb3r is implied. Or you'll have 3 pages of random discussion.

Back on the topic, I usually adapt myself to the new style of anime. I go with the flow. I go where the wind rakes me to, and have fun watching. Though there are some shows/theme that I don't like, like Magical girl or else, I can still watch some others.

On a side note, b0mb3r, you should really become a monk to educate your mind.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

kira0802 wrote:Ainsoph, the 'on another / side note' should never be used when b0mb3r is implied. Or you'll have 3 pages of random discussion.
Someone did not proofread their last message before they preached... :oops:
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ainsoph9 wrote:
kira0802 wrote:Ainsoph, the 'on another / side note' should never be used when b0mb3r is implied. Or you'll have 3 pages of random discussion.
Someone did not proofread their last message before they preached... :oops:
the only way i gonna be a preacher is unless i become this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_(comics)

baka baka baka

Return to “Animes”