Kanon

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

FatPianoBoy
Astral Realm

Post by FatPianoBoy »

Kinny Riddle wrote: And since we're at it with CLANNAD, I motion that we BakaTsuki translate Kanon and AIR as well, as long as someone tell me what programme to use to extract the script straight from the game (which I happen to possess and cleared).
Can we at least finish CLANNAD first before diving into another one? ;)

But while we're on the subject, I've been meaning to ask: is there any way that we could do the all-ages versions of the other KEY games (should we decide to do them), or somehow release another patch which will omit the H-content during play?

On the subject of the withheld translation: as a writer myself, I can understand the concern of people who have put their heart and soul into something over their work being handled by others and them having little or no control over it. However, I think that such concerns are ballooned by ignorance, both of the target language and of the target audience that speaks it. KEY especially is of the mindset that us gaijin can never understand their work properly, and they've reportedly set the license fee of Kanon at around $1 million in order to block both queries about the license and the possibility of it ever being licensed. There are also unsubstantiated rumors that they stipulated in their contracts with KyoAni and Toei that they would only agree to allow them to animate their stories if they agreed to refuse bids from foreign localization companies, which may explain why Kanon 2K2 was never released in the States despite its popularity.
Basically, I think KEY is behaving like a spoiled, xenophobic brat. We're obviously fans, or we wouldn't be willing to do something as time-consuming as this, and we wouldn't be fans if we didn't understand and appreciate their work. Sometimes I simply have to stop translating for a while and take a break if I'm not sure how to best render a line, and if I'm not 90% sure I translated it properly, I make a note to have someone else check it over. Frankly, to hear anything along the lines of me not being dedicated and faithful to their work is insulting.

[/rant]
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

FatPianoBoy wrote:
Kinny Riddle wrote: And since we're at it with CLANNAD, I motion that we BakaTsuki translate Kanon and AIR as well, as long as someone tell me what programme to use to extract the script straight from the game (which I happen to possess and cleared).
Can we at least finish CLANNAD first before diving into another one? ;)

But while we're on the subject, I've been meaning to ask: is there any way that we could do the all-ages versions of the other KEY games (should we decide to do them), or somehow release another patch which will omit the H-content during play?
When I made that suggestion, I was thinking of a new separate crew to help out, of course, I would be involved as well, now that I'm free from my Suzumiya Haruhi translation commitments. (Subject to intense editing before a complete patch is even compiled, of course. )

Who knows, since Kanon and AIR are much shorter compared to CLANNAD's epic long story, I could even come over to help out on CLANNAD as well when I'm done. (Though I'll have to read the whole damn visual novel first to get the feel of the story and prevent spoiling meself silly. )

I've been studying Japanese for 3 years now, so I'm quite confident I can handle a majority of the sentences. As I've beaten the game already, there shouldn't be much problem of me getting lost into where the story's going, and the completion of the anime should help considerably as well.

BTW, right now I possess the "Standard Editions" for both Kanon and AIR, not the "All Ages Version", but besides the ecchi scenes, the rest is nearly identical. IMHO, the aim of the translation should be to let people understand the feel of the story, not drool at the ecchi scenes (there aren't many CGs anyway, I say less than 10?), so "All Ages Version" should be preferred, as the Chinese Kanon patch had done. I'll acquire the "All Ages Version" myself as well if need be.

Maybe I should start a new topic in the Project Suggestion section.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

HolyCow wrote:Sigh. I already explained once in the ASuki forums, but I graded episode 24 a 1, and not the entire series. Don't get me wrong. I loved Kanon 2006. It was beautiful. It was touching. It was almost PERFECT, all the way until Episode 23, which I gave a perfect 10. The end to it, with Nayuki's "Fight on!", seemed to conclude the series perfectly.
How on earth did I not refute your arguments first time around?

After re-watching the whole series in one go, I can only say to your arguments for grading episode 24 as absolutely b0llocks. :D

If you were a troll (like that gutter voting prick DanielSong), I would have ignored you totally, since their actions are totally predictable in giving gutter votes. But to have YOU vote 1 out of 10 of all people felt like a "betrayal" to me, for lack of a better word, though we were never obliged to agree with each other, I simply assumed that you would have similar tastes as I would as we're fellow translators here, and it is because of that reason that I'm not gonna hold back in dressing you down.

Let's begin here:
Episode 24 sort of killed the ending for me. The whole emotional buildup they went through with Shiori's arc was kinda ruined for me seeing her alive and fully recovered. I like Shiori as a character, but this episode sorta ruined everything they had done for her.
The "good" ending of Shiori's thread (I refuse to use the cliched word "arc" as "thread" sounds more better, and "arcs" separates the story in a layered form, while "threads" interweave with each other. ) showed her alive and on the way to recovery. That's the "miracle" for her thread, in seeing her defy death, and it's all thanks to Ayu. I simply do not see how her thread is ruined.
Kanon 2006 as a whole I would grade an 8 or 9, but for this episode alone, I can't give such a score. It just pains me to see such a great series end in such a way, and I'm really disappointed by it. I understand why some of you are pissed by the low rating, but that's just my opinion of the EPISODE, and not the SERIES, just to let you know.
I too would have graded the whole series an 8 to 9, and I do understand your gripes about some of the pacing of the last episode. But to give it a fu(king ONE out of TEN!? Maybe I'm mistaken, but maybe you've watched this episode from a diehard Nayuki-fan's perspective to give such a ridiculously biased low score. The worst I could see this episode get is a 4-5 from Nayuki's perspective. To say I'm pissed with your choice is an understatement, like I said, I felt "betrayed" and absolutely offended by your decision, and you deserve my full condemnation of your opinion. :D

Once again, please don't take it personally (though in retrospect I may have taken it too personally myself), but I feel like venting all this out. You're entitled to be pissed off by the last episode, and I'm entitled to be bloody pissed with your choice.
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

Ugh, I just downloaded it and now you're telling me that its not a Nayuki ending? :x
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

I probably wasn't thinking too much when I voted :P The description/criteria (?) for a '1' is if the episode is 'Painful', and that's what I thought it was back then :?

But I can see where you're coming from. It's not nice to have someone you know totally gutter-vote an anime series you like. Heck, I would have been pissed if someone bashed Higurashi :D

Well, a couple of weeks have passed since Kanon ended. Even though I still don't like the ending, I gave it a fitting 8 out of 10 in the overall thoughts thread. A 1 out of 10 does seem too harsh, but right then I was probably too pissed to think clearly, saw an option for 'painful', and voted for it xD
/me claws out throat and dies
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

Post by Garstansinilliam »

Wikipedia says that there were a series of (I think) 4 Kanon novels published to tie in with the game, one for each arc. Any chance of getting them BakaTsuki-d up?
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I just finished watching this series and its like wow.....

One annoying part about the series is that how it always makes you go "NO! Not (insert female's name)" several times
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

There's a PSP kanon version, I got it on my PSP :D
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I can't read japanese!
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Well go learn!
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

Is it me or is Sayuri's laugh really creepy?
bicube
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by bicube »

I found it funny yet slightly annoying.
Stop spamming! Stay on topic!

>_>
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

/me refers to bicube's sig

:D
/me claws out throat and dies
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I mean seriously, that was the one of the creepiest laughs ever.
Symphonia
Astral Realm

Post by Symphonia »

Ahaha~

Return to “Animes”