Goonish animation?

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Ambi Valent
Astral Realm

Goonish animation?

Post by Ambi Valent »

This is a question to people knowing a lot of anime and also the webcomic "El Goonish Shive". Several months ago there was a discussion in its forum about how a possible animation would look like, and I think the creator himself theorized that even if someone would pick the comic for animation, executive meddling would distort the content beyond recognition: if it was done in the US, many of EGS' sexuality elements would be removed or hidden; while for Japan, because of the crowded anime market the comic would be "spiced up" with sex and violence so the characters would be distorted (they are rather "good kids" in the comic, although with quirks, and lead fairly normal lives until they decided to protect a shapeshifting squirrel-girl).

I think that theory is largely correct for the US (unless the anime was produced for a niche market instead of a mass market, but in that case producers would likely pick other comics first), but what do people think about the Japanese part? I mean, there are several episodes with lots of dramedic character interactions (and little superpower and "spice") in SHnY.

(For those who only know Dan's old EGS stuff, his art and storytelling has matured since he began EGS. Here are some of his newer drawings)
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Goonish animation?

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Well, I would agree for the US part, but I am not too sure about the part about what Japan would do. I mean, though it is very common that Japan include sex and violence in its animations, we have to put in mind how the original works do have some part of them within. But for more peaceful works, I would say like Minami-ke, other than a few hits on the idiotic Kana and the tossing of the toy bear, there is nothing violent or sexual. Basically I think that if it is that good, there would be no further spicing, at least not much.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Ambi Valent
Astral Realm

Post by Ambi Valent »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Well, I would agree for the US part, but I am not too sure about the part about what Japan would do. I mean, though it is very common that Japan include sex and violence in its animations, we have to put in mind how the original works do have some part of them within. But for more peaceful works, I would say like Minami-ke, other than a few hits on the idiotic Kana and the tossing of the toy bear, there is nothing violent or sexual. Basically I think that if it is that good, there would be no further spicing, at least not much.
As for good, it's usually hovering in the top 20 of thewebcomiclist, but it's a matter of preference... I like several of the top 20 (especially Gunnerkrigg Court and Girl Genius), but I also dislike others up in the list because of their content.

As for peaceful... especially in the beginning, EGS contained more hammering (for offensive language) by Susan and more pervy talk by Tedd (both occur less now due to their personality having grown). Two of the main eight characters are homosexual. There is a transformation gun that can turn people into half-animals or the other sex. EGS also has "anime-style martial arts" (though it's rarely used since the characters don't look for fights). Peacefulness of EGS is basically in the eye of the beholder...
ShadowZeroHeart

Ambi Valent wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Well, I would agree for the US part, but I am not too sure about the part about what Japan would do. I mean, though it is very common that Japan include sex and violence in its animations, we have to put in mind how the original works do have some part of them within. But for more peaceful works, I would say like Minami-ke, other than a few hits on the idiotic Kana and the tossing of the toy bear, there is nothing violent or sexual. Basically I think that if it is that good, there would be no further spicing, at least not much.
As for good, it's usually hovering in the top 20 of thewebcomiclist, but it's a matter of preference... I like several of the top 20 (especially Gunnerkrigg Court and Girl Genius), but I also dislike others up in the list because of their content.

As for peaceful... especially in the beginning, EGS contained more hammering (for offensive language) by Susan and more pervy talk by Tedd (both occur less now due to their personality having grown). Two of the main eight characters are homosexual. There is a transformation gun that can turn people into half-animals or the other sex. EGS also has "anime-style martial arts" (though it's rarely used since the characters don't look for fights). Peacefulness of EGS is basically in the eye of the beholder...
I took a short glance, but eventually figured its not the best of short comic strips. I guess I still prefer Japanese works? There are some that you would LOL at every single 4-panel strip. Lucky Star is a famous example, yet is not the best.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Ambi Valent
Astral Realm

Post by Ambi Valent »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:I took a short glance, but eventually figured its not the best of short comic strips. I guess I still prefer Japanese works? There are some that you would LOL at every single 4-panel strip. Lucky Star is a famous example, yet is not the best.
Huh? Short comic strip? Many webcomics may look like those, since they're put online piece by piece, but many of them are story-based and meant to be understood as continuous chapters instead of daily strips.

(And a special warning on EGS: don't read the very first week that you get to when you click "First". It's not even story there, but an attempt to be funny while breaking the fourth wall... if you want to judge EGS by its real content go into the big drop-down below the comic and choose "Goo" which is the real first comic - or for the newer storylines start with "Hidden Genesis" but you would have to go back to earlier strips eventually to understand everything. I'm not saying everyone must like it - I know many just don't like the real content either - it just seemed to me you got a wrong first impression)
ShadowZeroHeart

Ambi Valent wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:I took a short glance, but eventually figured its not the best of short comic strips. I guess I still prefer Japanese works? There are some that you would LOL at every single 4-panel strip. Lucky Star is a famous example, yet is not the best.
Huh? Short comic strip? Many webcomics may look like those, since they're put online piece by piece, but many of them are story-based and meant to be understood as continuous chapters instead of daily strips.

(And a special warning on EGS: don't read the very first week that you get to when you click "First". It's not even story there, but an attempt to be funny while breaking the fourth wall... if you want to judge EGS by its real content go into the big drop-down below the comic and choose "Goo" which is the real first comic - or for the newer storylines start with "Hidden Genesis" but you would have to go back to earlier strips eventually to understand everything. I'm not saying everyone must like it - I know many just don't like the real content either - it just seemed to me you got a wrong first impression)
I took a look up to that strange squrriel changing back and forth from cat and human and squrriel, somewhere there...

Well, it has some funny parts, especially in the beginning, but later on it gets wordy like when they explain that squrriel's story, and a lot of things seem to get messed up... Then i really got bored of it. And yes, there are some comics that are story-based and understood as continuous chapters, yet maintain a HIGH level of humor. Whereas looking at EGS, i am not even sure what genre it really is? Humor? Sci-fic? I just lost track entirely
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,

Return to “Animes”