Stereotypes

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Stereotypes

Post by ainsoph9 »

As has been noted before, anime seems to be made up of more and more stereotypes in terms of how the characters are given "personalities" as of late. What are the different categories of stereotypes outside of the obvious tsundere, moe, and yandere? What new "stereotype" would you like to see? What could be done to the stereotypes? Any other thoughts?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Stereotypes

Post by b0mb3r »

ainsoph9 wrote:As has been noted before, anime seems to be made up of more and more stereotypes in terms of how the characters are given "personalities" as of late. What are the different categories of stereotypes outside of the obvious tsundere, moe, and yandere? What new "stereotype" would you like to see? What could be done to the stereotypes? Any other thoughts?
I am a bit shock you didn't continue to post on my thread Cliches since we are on the same topic.

Well if we are solely focusing on the character archetypes than I would like to see more of Kyon. So far I've seen them in Toradora, Seitokai Yakuindomo, Bakemonogatari, Highschool of the Dead, Katanagatari, and Working. Level-head common sense guys. Maybe Araragi goes a little out of his way to save girls out of his kindness, Ryuuji may be more assistance in Tagia's love quest, Takashi could be the stereotypical hero (not SJ style), Shichika is a logical level blockhead/idiot, Takatoshi is the straight comedian and Takanashi has a little-thing fetish but that's what makes them unique. They don't follow the conventional harem lead who are either

a. a blockhead
b. Kind
c. Shy/indecisive
d. Nosebleed + perverts
e. etc and/or above all

While the heroes archetypes are in shonen jump category are:

a. Idiot
b. Convenient confidence that they can save the world due to stereotype stories
c. Make friends with enemies
d. etc and/or above all

Yes the unconventional anime I've seen are usually normal people in extreme environments. Case example: Rainbow. All normal kids but each has unique history and problems that lead them to juvenile. But I want of a more unique spin to them. Probably Durarara is a good example since so many character may or may not fall into certain category they are very unique still.

Another example is how well growth are manage. Characters can grow out their archetypes and 2-D self and become a real person. Example: Clannad. Granted their are alots of ridiculous and funny situation but is balance by Tomoya's growth. The human side of that show grows and you can relate to or at least sympthoize his problems.

I am seeing some changes due to adaption to light novels. I find good ones have great characters. At the moment we are caught up in a trend where people demand the same thing over and over again instead of allowing good stories to be told and how it effects original characters to grow.

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I thought of posting many times, but I wanted to be more specific and focused on this aspect of the topic; hence, this exists here.

It occurs to me that dividing the stereotypes by gender may help categorize things better. In particular, I am interested in isolating the different characteristics of stereotypical anime characters. Examples of characters help as well. Are the characters round/flat and/or dynamic/static? What motivates them? What is different and/or similar compared to other characters in the same vein from a different series?

I think it may be fun to take these different characteristics later to develop RPG-like stats for various anime characters just for laughs.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

b0mb3r wrote: Yes the unconventional anime I've seen are usually normal people in extreme environments. Case example: Rainbow. All normal kids but each has unique history and problems that lead them to juvenile. But I want of a more unique spin to them. Probably Durarara is a good example since so many character may or may not fall into certain category they are very unique still.

Another example is how well growth are manage. Characters can grow out their archetypes and 2-D self and become a real person. Example: Clannad. Granted their are alots of ridiculous and funny situation but is balance by Tomoya's growth. The human side of that show grows and you can relate to or at least sympthoize his problems.

I am seeing some changes due to adaption to light novels. I find good ones have great characters. At the moment we are caught up in a trend where people demand the same thing over and over again instead of allowing good stories to be told and how it effects original characters to grow.
Well, firstly to point out, Durarara is rather unique and special... Probably due to the popularity of Haruhi that he is given more room for expression? Oh well, in my opinion, ANY characteristics and personalities can be godly, given the fact that they are grown properly. For example, the famous work everyone probably knows... Higurashi. Why was it that good? My friend and I both believe that its because of how one will slowly get to love the characters for who they are, even if they aren't that special.

But in most animes, the great limit of 12~13 episodes causes producers to have to rush things, and have to neglect much room for character development.

And as you have mentioned, most often than not, people tend to stick to ways where they know wont fail, be it in mangas, novels or animes. Thus, there isnt much uniqueness to things. Though I will have to comment that novels are least likely to be affected by stereotypes, though one can easily how often such stereotypes appear, reason being that the way they use words are the most important, compared to how the story goes. Even though the story is also important, its only secondary compared to the style and words used.

The type of characters I want to see more of? People like Kohaku and Machi(from Airantou)? They really bring me laughs with their mischief! And they aren't bad by nature! (probably...? maybe...? err.... nvrm) They are stereotypes in a sense, but HOW they are up to mischief is interesting in my opinion. I LOVE the mecha-Hisui idea haha
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

I like Guts from the Berserk anime (even though it was short) because he's a Byronic Hero which I thought was badass, this Lord Byron guy rocks.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

I want to add another type of stereotypes I wish to see more in anime. I want man with more backbone. They don't need to be sadistic douche bags who abused other people and especially women for the MC to plow his sword through. I just want guys who doesn't take sh*t from woman. How many times have you seen an archetype who constantly get smacked, disrespected, nosebleeded, and such from the female side. A very common but different twist is we get the typical harem but an entirely different male lead. I always imagine how my MC would deal with tsudere. Instead of getting hit, they counter/dodge their attacks nonchalantly (doesn't have to be one of those fighting series to do so). I would like to see him smack a punch or two with coolness. Since we are on females and you, ainsoph, wants to talk in rpg stats I'll start with the easiest archetype I know:

Tsudere

Use a level between 1-10 on scale of their powers:

Power: Level 10. I don't know when this started but when woman get insult they need to send someone flying exaggeratedly. No more hammers like City Hunter, just use fistigons or freaking swords.

Honesty: Various but very low (Level 1-4). They never follow their feelings/instincts. They need to be in troubles or see a MC's action to fall in love/respect him.

Angry: Level 7. I must say anything involves an MC (or in kagami's case in LS) they tend to be annoyed and pissed at every little things with complaints.

Kindness: Level 6. They don't want others to know she could be weak or show weakness by being nice.Example being nice to a chipmunk or something Sometimes they tend to be nice in reciprocal to the MC's previous actions.

Pride: Level 8. Their ego tends to get in their way many times (could be unfair case since many people are like that today) Anyway they can very unlogical and uncompromising as they are obstacles and tools to push the story forward.

Weakness: Level 7. Again despite so many training sessions with boxing, karate, muay thai, etc they find themselves to be helpless at such moments? Such exception like Rin seem to know how to take care of themselves. Then again I am biased since girls that have power to send the MC flying shouldn't have problem sending goons to hell.

Though I do see these annoying traits alot, sometimes they don't need to be over the top and simply be parts of the whole, not the other way around. What I mean is that I've seen interesting character with these traits but it isn't what defines them, is simply another part of them.

baka baka baka
ShadowZeroHeart

@b0mb3r: Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma!! Be it women or children, if anything/anyone stands in his way, he would kill them all! He toys with people, not the other way round. He annoys Ayano, and whenever she swings her mighty Enraiha, he dodges it with ease~ and continues with his evil tongue attacks! Fights with coolness to the max!!

Ayano: Tsudere, as she either does not realise her feelings towards Kazuma, or refuses to admit that she likes the man who teases her and toys around so often.

Power: lv10 indeed, she would send anyone BUT Kazuma flying. Reason not because of love, but because she cant hit him.

Honesty: Overly honest? Probably over your lv1~4 scale. And for Kazuma, his honesty is probably -10 haha.

Angry: Well, shes angry... at Kazuma of course... Wait till you think of all the pranks he pull on her. And not just at him, shes angry at pretty much angry at anything that annoys her. Oh, and when it concerns Kazuma, you can multiply her anger by 2.

Kindness: Well, not exactly sure what you mean, but shes nice to her friends and all.

Pride: level 8? around there I guess. But its not much of an obstacle in her case.

Weakness: lv7 I guess? Well she can send goons flying, but faced with those insane monsters or youkai, shes quite helpless... Thus, Kazuma to the rescue!!

LOLz! Guess that explains why I am the KnS translator? I cant shake my mind off KnS!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Wow shadow you seriously responded my comment. It was nice of you to use the rpg stats I used but again is subjective and is my opinion, which is not perfect. If I knew how to well express myself through writing, I could have written more about tsudere. At the moment it is coming blank. I think I know why I watched such a crappy show like Kaze no Stigma (no offense to you shadow, the anime was just poorly done) is due to to Kazuma's awesomeness.

baka baka baka
ShadowZeroHeart

b0mb3r wrote:Wow shadow you seriously responded my comment. It was nice of you to use the rpg stats I used but again is subjective and is my opinion, which is not perfect. If I knew how to well express myself through writing, I could have written more about tsudere. At the moment it is coming blank. I think I know why I watched such a crappy show like Kaze no Stigma (no offense to you shadow, the anime was just poorly done) is due to to Kazuma's awesomeness.
Not too sure why you call it crappy, but all i know is that KnS is largely if not 100% all about Kazuma's awesomeness. So the moment you say "Kazuma's awesomeness", you probably got the gist of the series haha
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
b0mb3r wrote:Wow shadow you seriously responded my comment. It was nice of you to use the rpg stats I used but again is subjective and is my opinion, which is not perfect. If I knew how to well express myself through writing, I could have written more about tsudere. At the moment it is coming blank. I think I know why I watched such a crappy show like Kaze no Stigma (no offense to you shadow, the anime was just poorly done) is due to to Kazuma's awesomeness.
Not too sure why you call it crappy, but all i know is that KnS is largely if not 100% all about Kazuma's awesomeness. So the moment you say "Kazuma's awesomeness", you probably got the gist of the series haha
What I meant by crappy is the poor production quality of the show, the "stereotypes" archetypes of characters cept Kazuma, and the pacing the story told.

baka baka baka
ShadowZeroHeart

Awwww, it aint that bad. It covered most of the novel parts quite closely, more or less, though some parts that are in the novel can never get animated in the first place, which is what makes novels unique and good in some cases.

And as the title implies, the story is all about Kazuma, so the rest of the crew are basically to show Kazuma's awesomeness haha! As long as they do that, they have done their part!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

while kazuma is cool, he still follows the pretty-boys tough guys. We need more well-built guys that don't look like princess or gangster/yakuaza/thugs.

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

So kind of like Spike from Cowboy Bebop minus the syndicate background, right?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ainsoph9 wrote:So kind of like Spike from Cowboy Bebop minus the syndicate background, right?
yeah. Another character that comes in mind is the guy from Big-O or that Blue Submarine No. 6 show too or Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury. I like those type of characters. then again I guess I am biased from watching Toonami and renting dub anime videos from my local store.

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Go seinen characters!

Return to “Animes”