Nintendo DS

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Umiman
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Nintendo DS

Post by Umiman »

Rondo of Swords is a hard game. You know how I Mikuru about JSRPGs being insanely difficult after a certain point where it becomes impossible to play, thus ruining the entire experience because it's not about strategy anymore... more memorization?

Well, Rondo of Swords does this in the tutorial.

If you can beat the first level of this game (which is not to say of the tutorial) without losing once or twice, you must have some awesome psychic ability to predict the future.

Note: You can voice swap Rondo of Swords if you can't stand the minor dubbing.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Puzzle Quest is really really fun and addictive... but I can't help but think the AI cheats. It seems to be able to know what tiles are going to fall next.

And I don't like how in the main quest, the enemies scale to your level. And that final boss fight? Super unfair!

It kinda feels like Oblivion you know... except with Bejeweled. Even the entire game seems to be designed in the same way, you know, made for knights and swordsmen.
Dyn0m1te
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Dyn0m1te »

I'm having so much trouble resisting the urg of trading in my DS and getting a psp...
Why can't they just announce ASH? That will make me keep it...
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Why do you need to resist? It's not like someone is going to castrate you if you just sell it and buy something new. Why force yourself to endure something you distaste when you already know something you want?

I personally don't like the PSP because it's not particularly put-in-my-pocket portable (if I were to carry it around in a fanny pack or a backpack, I might as well just tuck in my t-shirt and grow pimples everywhere) and the games the PSP have aren't my kind of games. I use my NDS as a music / video player and I have a couple of other friends with NDSes and we play multiplayer regularly (my Onix remains undefeated to this day). Perhaps you should evaluate your reasoning for keeping the NDS versus buying a PSP. It should help you out.
Dyn0m1te

Post by Dyn0m1te »

Without finding any word of an NA release for ASH, I decided to just import it... incredibly cheap also, total + shipping = $20.30.
I guess it didn't do too well when released, but I <3 turnbased strategy games and I liked both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey
(actually, I guess I can't think of a strong enough word for my feelings for Lost Odyssey...) which are mistwalkers other 2 games.

And luckily the language barrier didn't prevent me from rocking both Shining Force 3 and Dragon Force 2 for years...
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Dyn0m1te wrote:Without finding any word of an NA release for ASH, I decided to just import it... incredibly cheap also, total + shipping = $20.30.
I guess it didn't do too well when released, but I <3 turnbased strategy games and I liked both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey
(actually, I guess I can't think of a strong enough word for my feelings for Lost Odyssey...) which are mistwalkers other 2 games.

And luckily the language barrier didn't prevent me from rocking both Shining Force 3 and Dragon Force 2 for years...
Dude watching you play Dragon Force made me want to play it. That game looks so fun. 8)
Dyn0m1te

Post by Dyn0m1te »

well bro, whenever you want to play it, go for it, though I have no saturn mem card, I don't mind if you use the onboard memory.

I've played through it so many times, I don't need my saves anymore.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Playing Front Mission DS right now. It's pretty good. It's basically a remake of the SNES game but with more missions, more stuff, more... well... more stuff. If you don't know what Front Mission is, it's basically a mech RPG-RTS-Hybrid-Thing made by Square-Enix. You get to customize every single aspect of your mech and kick ass.

Pros:
- Whoooo complicated. So many things to consider and there's no fricking instructions or guides. Trial by fire, but it's fun.
- There are A LOT of mech parts and weapons.
- Combat is hard, but doable. It's not particularly cheap and feels quite realistic. As realistic as 20ft tall giant mechs can be anyway.
- No rock-paper-scissors element. It's all strategy and loadout. There's no giant axe beats laser beats whatever here. Just your brains, some luck, and your money.
- The combat looks pretty cool and you never really get bored of it. (this is probably because of the following point)
- Did I mention your mechs are customizable and it shows everywhere? So that sweet arm you bought with that flamethrower won't only show in the display picture, but also in combat and on the map screen. It's pretty neat.

Cons:
- Farking complicated.
- The story can go to hell.
- The characters are very.... bishounen...
- The controls are a bit akward.
- Graphics are quite dated, even by NDS standards. But it's quite minor.
- The mechs are called "Wanzers"...

I'm pretty impressed that a game with such deep combat mechanics and gameplay is on the DS. I'm also damn impressed they managed to make it on the SNES. Give it a try if you like giant mechs.

Screen:
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

dammn. just downloaded this game. it's good.

and i almost completed Advance War Dual strike. and barely started on AW: ruins either.

dammn you!

it reminds me alot of Robotwars OG 2 which i played pretty far, but stopped since i couldn't be bothered having the GBA kart sticking out all the time or find the time to play the emulator i got on my laptop.

meh.

oh well, i hope i find some cheats.
I get bored if the games take so much time, i just want to see the end dammit.
:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Doesn't your R4 come with a cheat engine?

Anyway, the USN campaign is actually better than the OCU one. There's actually FMV. =O
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Umiman wrote:Doesn't your R4 come with a cheat engine?

Anyway, the USN campaign is actually better than the OCU one. There's actually FMV. =O

yeah i got a cheat file thingy, that i download from the r4ds website.

but the latest file doesn't have the cheat codes for front mission.

must be a way to add cheats from replay/codemonkies codes or something to it, but can't seem to figure it out.

oh well, i'll hit a wall or something then lip back to AW: dual strike and finally get it wiped off my memory card.

it's been on it for frigging ages.... :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

I think you messed up somewhere. I haven't updated my cheatfile in ages and even I have the cheats to it.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Umiman wrote:I think you messed up somewhere. I haven't updated my cheatfile in ages and even I have the cheats to it.

send me a copy of your file. is it in .dat format?

@Onizukademongto
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

I'm not sure how to convert mine. Try dl-ing this?

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2589
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

thanks for the link umiman, now we talking! woot!

:)

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Games & Computing”