Suggestions

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

j112
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Suggestions

Post by j112 »

So i'm about to order about 8 LNs off of amazon to read/tl(maybe dun count on it) and I was wondering if anyone had some particularly good suggestions since the only ones i have got on the list sofar are vols 1/2 of kampfer
j112
Project Translator

Re: Suggestions

Post by j112 »

oh and I'm not going to order anything till i have ATLEAST 8 items to order, why, because international shipping rates are ATROCIOUS and I am poor
Preferred books wouldn't be too difficult, maybe an excess of furigana but i don't want to read childrens books, any kind of good: harem, comedy, romance, action, supernatural, fantasy, scifi, horror, and/or psychological genre.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

densetsu yuusha no densetsu:
1. action
2. fantasy
3. insanity
easiest light novel ever written.

and you can help me translate it after reading it. it has 38 volumes, so take your pick.
just looking at this page should give you an idea of its epicness: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Guidelines
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Considering your preference of furigana availability, simplicity probably ranks high in your score table compared to other elements you suggested. 

I would suggest "しにがみのバラッド。" for starters of the language.

Synopsis:
目を覚ますと、少女は死神でした。その少女は、死神でありながら、その真っ白な容姿ゆえに仲間から「変わり者」と呼ばれていました。しかし、少女の持つ巨大な鈍色の鎌は、まさしく死の番人のものです。少女の使命は人間の命を運ぶこと。死を司る黒き使者である少女は、仕え魔のダニエルと共に、人の魂を奪いにいくのです。死を司る少女は、様々な人と出会い、そして別れていきます。哀しくて、やさしいお話。
1. It is mostly conversational in straightforward colloquial Japanese (not much "anime speech") without self-coined technical/SF/RPG terms.

2. Descriptive text is limited in amount and are in short and simple sentence structures.

3. The independent short stories format makes it easy to get into the novel at any time. Even if you misunderstand a certain part it will not affect your appreciation of the following episodes.

4. Page density is remarkably low, making it a bliss to sail through even for starters.

I finished vol. 1 without much difficulty after studying Japanese for a few months, btw.

If you want some challenging stuff however, I am more than happy to give you a few good suggestions. There are many excellent works in the light novel scene with high literature value, but I am just afraid they are beyond your level.

larethian wrote:and you can help me translate it after reading it. it has 38 volumes, so take your pick.
I love how you slipped in the main reason for your suggestion in a separated paragraph without numbering it like the other points. :lol:
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Doraneko wrote:
larethian wrote:and you can help me translate it after reading it. it has 38 volumes, so take your pick.
I love how you slipped in the main reason for your suggestion in a separated paragraph without numbering it like the other points. :lol:
Well he was being too vague by including quite possibly every wide genre. And I'm trying to stir him into becoming a balanced reader, so 一石二鳥.

@j112
Not too sure why you like Kampfer, but if you like harem antics with some action, you might want to get IS. Oops wait, it's already translated. Hm, another good love comedy with some harem elements which is quite popular right now would be "Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba sugiru". It's pretty easy to read too. Incidentally, it's one of the teasers that has decently heavy demand requests to have it upgraded from the fans of the manga. Why not check out chapter 0 here? Maybe you might even feel like translating it LOL!
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Doraneko wrote:Considering your preference of furigana availability, simplicity probably ranks high in your score table compared to other elements you suggested. 

I would suggest "しにがみのバラッド。" for starters of the language.

Synopsis:
目を覚ますと、少女は死神でした。その少女は、死神でありながら、その真っ白な容姿ゆえに仲間から「変わり者」と呼ばれていました。しかし、少女の持つ巨大な鈍色の鎌は、まさしく死の番人のものです。少女の使命は人間の命を運ぶこと。死を司る黒き使者である少女は、仕え魔のダニエルと共に、人の魂を奪いにいくのです。死を司る少女は、様々な人と出会い、そして別れていきます。哀しくて、やさしいお話。
1. It is mostly conversational in straightforward colloquial Japanese (not much "anime speech") without self-coined technical/SF/RPG terms.

2. Descriptive text is limited in amount and are in short and simple sentence structures.

3. The independent short stories format makes it easy to get into the novel at any time. Even if you misunderstand a certain part it will not affect your appreciation of the following episodes.

4. Page density is remarkably low, making it a bliss to sail through even for starters.

I finished vol. 1 without much difficulty after studying Japanese for a few months, btw.

If you want some challenging stuff however, I am more than happy to give you a few good suggestions. There are many excellent works in the light novel scene with high literature value, but I am just afraid they are beyond your level.
Not just the language....the stories are...yeah some of them made me cry...If you love those touching stories....despite whatever many may say, go for this....

Also try Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!

Return to “Manga & Novel”