Rokka no Yuusha

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Rokka no Yuusha

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

http://dash.shueisha.co.jp/_rokka/
Plot revolves around 6 heroes chosen to defeat the re-awakened Demon God. From the very start, there are 7 in the circle raising questions as to who is the enemy agent

Vol 1 excerpt
「冷静に、だ。お前の強さなら何も怖くない」
"Easy does it, it isn't afraid of your power"
 そう言ってアドレットは、馬に鞭を入れて走り出した。
So saying, Adlet spurred the horse into a run
「ナッシェタニア!ついてこい!」
"Nashetania! Follow!"
「は、はい!」
"Y-yes!"
 馬の手綱を握りながら、アドレットは考えた。
Grasping the reins of the horse, Adlet thought,
予想通りの流れだ。凶魔たちは六花の勇者の各個撃破を狙っている。そのために周辺の村を焼き、人々を襲う。六花の勇者をおびきよせるためだ。前の戦いでは、その作戦で一人が命を落としている。
It's as expected. The demons were bent on eliminating each of the Six Flower Heroes. To that end, they had burned the surrounding villages and attacked the people there. All for the purpose of luring the Six Flower Heroes. With the earlier battle, those tactics had already cost the life of one person.
勝利のみを考えるなら無視して進むのが正しい。しかしそんな正しさなどくそくらえだ。何のために魔神と戦うのか。無力な人々を守るためだ。
From the standpoint of attaining victory , then it was proper to push on without being distracted. To hell with that though. For what reason were they fighting the Majin? It was to protect the powerless masses.
「いた!」
"There!"
 十匹の凶魔が、馬車の群れに襲いかかっている。体調は十メートルほどの、ヒルのような姿だ。頭の部分から一本の角と数本の触手が生え、触手の先に人間のものによく似た眼球がついている。
Ten demons were attacking a group of horse carriages. Their physical appearnce resembled that of hills ten meters high. From the tops of their heads, a single horn and several tentacles sprouted. At the tips of those tentacles were very human-like eyeballs.
 凶魔は一種一系統の生き物でありながら、千変万化に姿を変える。今いるヒルに似たもの、巨大な昆虫に似たもの、鳥や動物に似たもの、人間に似て言葉をしゃべる者すらいる。
While demons all came from a single species line, their forms varied in myriad ways. As of now, there were demons that resembled hills, demons that resembled colossal insects, demons that resembled birds and animals and even demons that resembled humans and spoke like them.
 ただ一つ共通するのは、頭部のどこかに角が生えていること。それだけだ。
Their sole common trait was that they bore horns on the top of their heads; that was all.
 襲われているのは十数人の兵士、そして農夫と家族たちだ。多くは傷つき、何人かは命を落としている。アドレットは馬から飛び降り、凶魔の群れに向かって突撃していく。
Those being attacked were a group of a few tens of soldiers and farmers with their families. Many were wounded and some were dead. Adlet flew from the horse and charged straight into the group of demons.
「俺が足止め、ナッシェタニアはとどめだ!」
"I'll keep them busy! Nashetania, you'll finish them off!"
 後ろを走るナッシェタニアに向かって叫ぶ。アドレットは一瞬で小袋から鉄瓶を取り出した。蓋を外し、中身を口に含む。
Adlet shouted at Nashetania who was at the back. In a flash, Adlet produced an iron kettle from a small bag. He removed the cap and held the contents in his mouth.
「―――!」
"―――!"
 凶魔の何匹かが、アドレットを見つける。頭を持ち上げ口から液体を吹きかけてくる。アドレットはそれを前転で避ける。立ち上がると同時に、前歯の火打ち石を叩きつけた。
Adlet regarded the demons. Head held high, he blew the liquid forth. He somersaulted out of the way of the liquid and on standing, struck the flint of his front teeth
 鉄瓶の中身は特殊な調合をほどこした火酒だ。炎が正確に凶魔の顔面を襲う。払いのければ無傷で済む程度の火だが、凶魔は身悶えて苦しむ。
The kettle held a spirit of special composition. Flames burst forth right in the demons' faces. The flames could be easily brushed aside without injury but the demons squirmed in agony.
 想定通りだ。この種の凶魔は熱に弱い。
As he thought, this type of demon was weak against heat.
 アドレットの秘密道具は、ほとんどがそれ自体ではたいした威力はない。様々な道具を使い分け、凶魔の弱点を突くことに真骨頂がある。
Adlet's secret tools practically held no great power in of themselves. By using several tools against the demons' weaknesses, their truth worth was demonstrated
「流石です!」
"As expected of you!"
 ナッシェタニアが〈刃〉の神の力を使う。地面から生えた刃が三体の凶魔の首をはね、息の根を止める。
Nashetania wielded the power of the God of Blades. The blades that burst from the ground decapitated three of the demons, slaying them
This certainly deserves a discussion thread of its own

There's a reason it scored 3rd place in 2013's Kono Light Novel awards and simply put it's the best adventure fantasy LN I ever read.

Discussion thread so go ahead and discuss plot and other ネタバレ

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Re: Rokka no Yuusha

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Vol 2 excerpt
周囲に敵の気配はない。どうやら本当に、戦いはこれで終わったようだ。モーラは荒い息を吐きながら、テグネウが立ち去った方向を見つめていた。
There was no sign of enemies in the vicinity. Apparently, the battle had truly ended. While letting out a ragged breath, Mora looked in the direction where Iguneu had retreated.
「ふざけたやつじゃったな。あんなものが、凶魔の統率者か」
"That creature was just screwing around. Was that thing a demon general?"
「いつも通りよ。吐き気がするほど」
"As usual as always. Utterly nauseating"
 そう言ってフレミーが、今度はモーラに銃を向けた。モーラはさほど驚かなかった。フレミーが敵だとも思わなかった。敵ならば、テグネウがいるうちに攻撃を仕掛けていたはずだ。
Fremy, who said those words, now pointed her gun at Mora. Mora wasn't much fazed. She didn't think that Fremy was an enemy. If she were an enemy, she would have attacked when Igneu was around.
「何をするフレミー」
"What are you doing Fremy..."
「モーラ、一つ聞きたいことがあるわ」
"Mora, there's one thing I want to ask."
 その目に込められているのは、殺意ではなく疑念だ。フレミーはモーラが七人目ではないかと疑っている。
In those eyes was not killing intent but suspicion. Fremy was suspicious of Mora being the Seventh.
「テグネウと何かがあったの?」
"What happened between you and Igneu?"
「………なぜそう思う」
"....Why do you think that way?"
「時間がない、そう言われた時のあなたの様子が不自然だった」
"'Time's running out.' At those words, you seemed unnatural."
 どく、とモーラの胸が高鳴った。モーラは必死に冷静を装った。そして根も葉もない疑惑を向けられ、困惑するような表情を作った。
Mora's heart pounded hard. She desperately tried to act calm. Facing that groundless accusation, she made a bewildered expression.
「不自然、か。そのような理由で銃を向けられては、命がいくつあっても足りぬわ」
"Unnatural? To aim your gun at me for that reason... even if we had several lives, it would not be enough."
「はぐらかさないで。きちんと答えて」
"Don't evade. Answer properly."
「何もない。こういえば満足か?」
"Nothing. Does that satisfy you?"
 モーラはフレミーに近づき、銃口を下げさせる。
Mora approached Fremy and lowered the gun barrel.
「フレミーよ。七人目の正体を見破ろうとするのは良い。だがあまり殺気をばら撒くな」
"Fremy, it's good to be discerning of the Seventh's true form. However, don't you ever incite the lust for blood."
 何も答えず、モーラの目を見据えるフレミー。
Without any reply, Fremy glared at Mora's eyes
「逆にお前が疑われるぞ。七人目を探すふりをして、本当は仲間を殺す機会を狙っていると。七人目はフレミーだ。言いがかりをつけてわたしを殺そうとした。わたしが仲間たちにそう主張したらどうするつもりじゃ?」
"Conversely, you are suspicious too. While pretending to search for the Seventh, you are actually looking for a chance to kill your comrades. The Seventh is Fremy. You attempted to kill me while I was saying this. What would you do if I said this to our comrades?"
「………わかったわ」
"....I understand."

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

This may really interest me, as it's quite different from other fantasy LNs.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Vol 3 Excerpt
ロロニアは遠くの空を指さした。巨大な蛾の凶魔が一体、魔哭領の奥から飛んでくる。アドレットたちに気づいている様子はない。南東に向かって、全速力で飛んでいる。
Rolonia pointed at the distant sky. A single giant moth demon flew from the interior of the demons' Wailing Domain. It seemed to ignore Adlet and his comrades, flying wih all its might toward the southeast.
「さっきも、あっちに向かって凶魔が飛んでたんだよ」
"Just now, there were also demons flying in that direction."
「………妙だな」
"...Strange."
 南東を見ながらアドレットは首を傾げた。凶魔が南東に集まっていることは推測できる。だが理由がわからない。六花が谷の近辺にいることは、とうにテグネウも予想していたことだろう。それを無視して、無関
係の場所に凶魔を終結させる理由があるのだろうか。
Adlet tilted his head while gazing at the southeast. He could guess that the demons were gathering there. However, he did not know the reason. Igneu had long surmised that the Six Flowers would be near the valley. Was there a reason that would warrant the demons ignoring them, heading to an unrelated place, causing them to stop in their hunt for them?
 その時だった。ゴルドフがゆらりと、南東に向かって歩き出した。
At that moment, Goldolf turned slowly and set off towards the southeast
「どうしたんですか、ゴルドフさん」
"What's wrong, Goldolf-san?"
 ロロニアが声をかけるが、ゴルドフは止まらない。最初はゆっくりと、次第に急ぎ足で南東へ向かっていく。
Rolonia called, but Goldolf did not stop. At first he moved slowly, then gradually, he broke into a hurried pace towards the southeast.
 アドレットは立ち上がった。何か様子がおかしい。走り出したゴルドフに追いつき、その肩を掴む。
Adlet stood up. There was something odd in Goldolf's manner. Chasing him as he ran, he grabbed his shoulder.
「おい、勝手に行動するな。今はそっちに用はねえぞ」
"Oi, don't wander off on your own. There's nothing for us over there now."
 その時だった。アドレットの手首が掴まれたかと思うと、体が反転した。アドレットは尻もちをつき、青空を見上げていた。
In that moment, Adlet's wrist was grabbed and his body flipped right over. He landed on his rear and saw the blue sky.
「アド君!」
"Ado-kun!"
 投げられたとわかったのは、ロロニアがそう叫んだあとのことだ。
Understanding that Adlet had been thrown, Rolonia cried out.
「何をしやがるゴルドフ!」
"What are you doing Goldolf!"
 ゴルドフの手を振り払い、地面を転がって立ち上がる。
Shaking off Goldolf's hand, he lightly spang back to his feet.
「………姫が、危ない」
"....The princess....is in danger."

The characters are a rather...unique bunch. Most of them have severe issues, many would kill without a thought and some are outright psychopathic. Yet it's really fun to see them

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

As for the first volume, which I have read a while ago: It took some time and pages until I was hooked, but it was definitely an enjoyable read, especially the second half. Although to be honest, the twist at the end was a bit of a downer for me. That being said, I've already got the second volume here, ready to be read.
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

The prevalence of the "Seventh" and the resolutions in the first 2 volumes, (and in 3 too from what I hear) calls into question whether the Seven is really an enemy or not

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!

Return to “Manga & Novel”