Gosick, an amazing nove1.

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Gosick, an amazing nove1.

Post by ArchmageXin »

This is a reaIIy interesting story, it is about a Japanese boy in the 1920s who went to this fictionaIized nation caIIed SaurviIIe. There, he met a tiny bIonde girI (in your usuaI gothic IoIita fashion). The girI spent more her time reading books, but occasionaIIy speak to the Japanese boy in romantic tones such as this:

"Kujo, you are in an unusuaIIy good mood today. Your footstep were Iighter than usuaI. And your responses to my statements are uncharactisticaIiy euthusiatic. Human maIes behave this way onIy for one reason: Iust. Kujo, you are behaving in a manner quite beyond your means, in a very cheery mood brought on by unwhoIesome desire. Desires does not arise from sitting in a fIower garden by youseIf, therefore, you must have been with a girI, and a girI you have a favorabIe opinion of. This is what the fountain of knowIedge toId me."

Iadies and gentIemen, meet Victorique the 4'5" taII sherIock HoImes and her Japanese Dr. Watson. If you ever thought about what Iouise is Iike without her whip and armed with her wit instead, this book is for you. Right now the first book is pubIished by Tokyopop, but unforunateIy the transIator was recentIy canned so the other 7 voIumes are unIikeIy to ever reach U.S anytime soon.
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Gosick, an amazing nove1.

Post by Dan »

lol I like that little passage, I much perfer wittiness to slapstick since it reads much easier. I'll see if I can pick up a copy. Thanks for the heads up.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

You compare her to Louise, but is she a tsundere? From the little passage she seems like a calm composed character rather than tsundere (as Louise).

Seems interesting, but I cannot tall more as I know too little.
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

Darknemo2000 wrote:You compare her to Louise, but is she a tsundere? From the little passage she seems like a calm composed character rather than tsundere (as Louise).

Seems interesting, but I cannot tall more as I know too little.
She is, cept she just never seem to have a temper...sort of Iike Tabitha at times, she express her dispIeasure in words, not in...deeds.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Spoiler! :
No offense, but i do not think this novel is that fantastic, not yet at least... I almost finished reading book 1, here is my opinion...

The novel is like a detective story, however, the stories so far are short, and the methods and line of thinking rather simple.
As you read through the novel, the answers more or less come to mind, (or at least for me) so she does not seem that much of a genius to me...
The happenings are not that special, so the story is more of how a boy feeds his native food to the puppet-like girl.
It does not even seem romantic, and some things are rather dumb and such.
The "cases" are mostly based on rumors in the school, and the girl puts that into her train of thought and comes out with an "answer" that does not seem that special
The so-called mystery does not seem to be much of a mystery, so it made me ponder what kind of novel it really is?
There is no action, compared to SnS or KnS, not that special, compared to Haruhi, not that fantasy like ZnT, personally, i would find God's notebook, a better choice for a detective novel about a girl that stays at home, however, the novel is not the worst either, so hopefully it will get better near the end of the volume, or by the next book, or else i might give it up...

Sorry for the harsh comments, but it is just my personal opinion, and it may change according to what i read later, so interested readers, please do give it a try nonetheless.
Very sorry, i just realised something very important... The comment that should now be in spoiler area is WRONG! or at least it is not in regards to GOSICK in this case. The book i read was GOSICKs book 1, a short story novel for GOSICK, so it is different from the actual story i guess, in this case, the comments made here are WRONG, i think i might get the actual GOSICK novel this time, =X sorry for the misunderstanding, anyways, i shall tell you my comments again once i read the actual story... very sorry...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I finished reading the first volume. Victorique is a bit hard to get used to, and seeing her smoking on the cover was kind of weird as well. I felt her character was a little forced to make her seem super smart instead of relying on story developement to prove her wits. The main guy, Kujo, is decent but seems to take abuse too easily but proves he does have a backbone in the story. The mixing of another story into the volume was helpful for pulling the plot along, but I was hoping for more more mystery since it was compared to Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. The whole puzzle isn't entirely solvable to the reader because of the absence of some details, but you can guess alot of the plot and solution to the problems. I suppose holding clues back to suprise the reader isn't too bad, though I've seen enough of Scooby Doo's gang presenting evidence that was otherwise ignored to solve the mystery.

The end of the volume is really what makes me want to read more. There seems to be more to Victorique than we get to read.

Edit: Ack! I have to wait until October to get volume two! Maybe if I send in a list of all the edits volume one needs, I'll get a preview of volume two's script? :)
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

There were some evidence present, I felt it was almost too easy looking at the graphics with the smirking girl and everyone else looking in horror. Plus, the story try to present it as appear to be supernatural, if readers can guess it half way through the book, it would look kind of stupid.

Unfortunately, this series is canceled by Tokyopop's recent cutbacks, and apparently the translator for the series got pink slipped.

I like Victorque, she is a lot more interesting than your usual "Bad boy, eat whips/fists/magic/mallet/evil girl expression" type of girls.

But enough of her, I wish we would seen more of Avril instead O_O
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

lol Avril?

Also, are you sure it's been cancelled? Volume two is already up for preorder on Amazon.com, although I don't know how often they allow preorder for items that are never produced.
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

Dan wrote:lol Avril?

Also, are you sure it's been cancelled? Volume two is already up for preorder on Amazon.com, although I don't know how often they allow preorder for items that are never produced.
I am not sure, like I said, searching through the web I found on a anime forum where a person who had the same name as the translator saying he got canned, along with Toykopop's recent rescale pullback.

I like Avril better cause she a girl who knows what she wants, I am a bit tired of men automatically following the Tsundae in any story and get dominated by a girl.
FlareKnight
Astral Realm

Post by FlareKnight »

Late on the stage, but thought to make a post anyways. Since I just read through the first volume and did feel like talking about it.

Was a pretty good story even if i had most of the mystery figured out before we started getting to the end. Enough hints put around that you could piece it together though one twist at the very end still got me. Liked how they handled the culprit(s) and it wasn't such a simple situation.

To be honest at the start wasn't liking Victorique that much. But as the story went on got to see more depth to her and ended with a good opinion. Kujo does apologize a bit too easily, but can stand up at various points in the tale. Also has his moment of glory before all is said and done.

If its really cancelled that's a disappointment. Not sure if I would have avoided the first volume or not since now I'm feeling the sense of wanting more, but not knowing if that will ever be satisfied. Certainly Chapters has put the second volume at "Temporarily Unavailable to Order" so hard to say. Guess once we get into that release date on amazon hits. If its gone guess it will be a good memory and will just have to move on from it.
ShadowZeroHeart

No offense, but personally I dont really enjoy Gosick.
The idea seems not bad at first, but when Victorique continues to be such a smart ass, Kujo continues to be such a dumb ass, Grevil the arrogant idiot and the weird characters, there is basically no character development. The story is not that captivating, and the reasonings behind the cases are too distant and abstract. Unless you study history, it is quite unlikely to even know some of those facts. The actual methods for the killings are not that special either... So basically i do not really have a good opinion on this series.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Read it a couple of months ago, I don't really remember much of it, save that the local detective guy was really annoying. One thing I really dislike about the English-rendition of the novel is the way Tokyopop handled the color illustrations. All of the other major publishers (like Seven Seas and Dark Horse) have been printing them in color (SS's Strawberry Panic, DarkHorse's Blood+ novelization for example), and Tokyopop's Black and White version kinda threw me off.
/me claws out throat and dies
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

An amazing development, volume two was released by TokyoPop. I haven't started reading it yet, but it's much longer than the first volume - about 300 pages.
ShadowZeroHeart

Dan wrote:An amazing development, volume two was released by TokyoPop. I haven't started reading it yet, but it's much longer than the first volume - about 300 pages.
No offense, but I don't personally recommend this series... And second volume reminds me of one of the many stories in Conan, the detective, the manga.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
Dan wrote:An amazing development, volume two was released by TokyoPop. I haven't started reading it yet, but it's much longer than the first volume - about 300 pages.
No offense, but I don't personally recommend this series... And second volume reminds me of one of the many stories in Conan, the detective, the manga.
may I hear why you don't recommend it?

baka baka baka

Return to “Manga & Novel”