Stand by me, Stand by you.

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Stand by me, Stand by you.

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Novel: Stand by me, Stand by you.

Prologue:
"I will be waiting for you at the roof after school."

Gee, a really uncreative line.

The letter with just this sentence, was placed in my shoe locker.

The envelop also only said "To 坂元裕作" only, without bearing the name of the sender. Yet, the round wordings and the cute paper that comes together with the envelop, clearly shows it is written by a girl.

I went there of course. Under the invitation by an uncreative sentence and uncreative situation, I went to the roof without a care.

That was the second summer of my high school life. The final exams were over, and it was the period to start planning for summer vacation. As I climbed the stairs to the roof, I was editing my plans for summer plans with a an astonishing might. Hearing this uncreative confession, if I nod and agree, I would then have an uncreative------Though that is what I say, but this is actually my very first experience------ vacation that is really high-school like, so I fantasized.

Ninety percent chance I was going to nod. Even if she doesn't look all too appealing, if her personality is OK that won't be a problem. First, we would head to that childish commercial street to date. This Narumi Town is categorized to be a very low-down town, but to be alone with a girl, there should be plenty of places to go. Going to the pool or sea might be good too. Returning home during Hungry Ghost Festival, probably have to reconsider. Of course, the plan to go with 松下 to hit on girls would have to come to a halt.

Uncreative is great. There is nothing special. I ain't a regular punk that hates the ordinary, nor an adult that would boast in front of others. I was only a very uncreative high-school student then.

Up till now, I can still remember very clearly. The light that leaked out as I pushed open that heavy door to the roof. The summer daylight that revealed from the white cement wall. The suffocating heat. There were cicadas crying afar, and the track field had the cries of the soccer team. It was such a uncreative summer day.

That day after school, a girl jumped off the roof.

She did it because she was too young. People say.
I saw this book in the bookstore. Unlike most others, it is really thick(Main story, 470 pages), and it is comparable in size with two to three single volumes of the regular light novel. The artwork and plot does not seem all too unique, but for some reason, I was charmed to look at it once and again, before finally deciding to buy it and to read it. Unbelievably, it was a very good story in my opinion.

Plot:
The girl died. It was a confession indeed, but not a confession of love. The girl, was his childhood friend. One that was bulled in school, for she claimed to be capable of seeing ghosts/spirits. She could not take it any longer, and she confided in the protagonist, who was lost, unable to do anything, and he ran off. She died.

Despite her death, her spirits haunts him, not in a negative way. They were like a couple, except one was a ghost, and she was only seen and heard by the protagonist. Even so, they were rather happy... One year after her death, a letter was found in his shoe locker. The letter said "I will be waiting for you at the roof after school." Every single word was the same, except this time round, the sender wrote her name, "Misaki Mika". And later that day, a transfer student, a 14-year old girl with a lack of common sense transferred in, her name is "Misaki Mika". She wore a magician robe, and has a stopped clock hanging at her chest, with a staff in her hand. Despite her silly behavior, she approached the protagonist, claiming to be a exorcist, here to exorcise the evil spirit that is pestering him, taking the one he had left behind then away from him...

Naturally, he fought back.

Even so, interactions with Mika reminds him of his ex-childhood friend. The same way they claim to be able to see ghosts, some silly interactions, together with how he noticed the feeble sides to them despite the front they put up. The protagonist tries to convince Mika that his ex-childhood friend is NOT an evil spirit. And so, Mika told him to let her see this "ex-childhood friend" so she can judge whether she would be an evil spirit.

Going into his room, Mika started waving her wand like crazy. Her attitude clearly portrays fear. Fear of not being able to see evil spirits.

The guy who, despite not having supernatural talent, capable of seeing the spirit of his childhood friend, and the girl, whom despite being an exorcist, who lost her ability to see evil spirits...

This is their tale, their tale to let the stopped watches move on once more.
Some background of 3 of the main characters(some spoilers included):
Spoiler! :
It was later revealed that the girl was talented, and never lost her talent. She "refused" to see spirits. Even if she did see one, she would claim it human. The reason was simple. She worked hard so she could stay at her brother's side, and thus became the youngest exorcist ever. However, in a major battle, her beloved brother died two years back, but lived on as a spirit. To be an exorcist would mean she had to exorcise her beloved brother, yet she is Mika before she is an exorcist. Thus she "lost her talent" and "cannot see spirits", thus "her brother must still be alive".

The ex-childhood friend was never seen by anyone else, and as a ghost, seeks recognition. Despite how she and the protagonist love each other, it was love not meant to be, but they are happy. But even so, no one would ever recognize their "relationship", because no one can see her. With Mika's appearance, and the protagonist's interactions with Mika, people would first consider Mika to be the protagonist's girlfriend, creating a deep wound in both their hearts. The lack of acceptance and understanding(of her, or their relationship) by another person.

He, despite being in the class, and having some friends, was not really part of the class. Part of him died when his childhood friend died. His joy and happiness lies with returning home to spend time with his ghostly childhood friend. Things only began to change after Mika came in. But is that what he really wants?
Beautiful Quote by ex-childhood friend:
Spoiler! :
Could it be, that it was me binding Saki to this world?

The thing that never changed, was my thoughts?"

"I, am here because you(protagonist) want me to."

Is this, my wish?

Saki has always acted as she wanted, saying her wishes. But is that my wish as well......?

"But, if Mika overcame her brother's death, and becomes an exorcist once more...... This time she would definitely(exorcise you)......"

"If you wish for that to happen, I am willing to accept it."

"......Sa, ki......"

That smiling face, does not show any signs of sadness/gloominess.

"Because I am going to turn into an evil spirit won't I? And you said that I shouldn't do that."

"Yes...... But that is......"

"If you say I shouldn't then I won't do it."

But that would imply------

"Hey, what do you want? What should I do?"

I don't know.

I don't know anything.

"Liar, actually you realized it long ago."

What? What did you say I realized?

"------ That you cannot continue on this way."

Saki smiled. She said that because she saw through everything.

"Let me help, because this is for my 裕作(protagonist's name)."

That smile, made my chest,

ache.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Stand by me, Stand by you.

Post by Mystes »

The title really reminds me of this:
Spoiler! :
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.

Return to “Manga & Novel”