Light Novel recommendations for SAO/AW readers?

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Ryuzaki8
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Light Novel recommendations for SAO/AW readers?

Post by Ryuzaki8 »

Hey, I'm aware that I might be posting in the wrong section, but I was hoping someone would recommend me some light novels?

Reason I posted here is simple: I really enjoy Sword Art Online & Accel World, but I'm at the latest right now, so I was hoping for some other light novels? They don't have to be exactly like SAO/Accel, I just want something you readers believe is on par with or better, haha. Trying new things is always nice.

Thanks!
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Light Novel recommendations?

Post by arczyx »

Someone please move this to the manga and novel section, I approved it without noticing the section where this topic is posted.... :oops: (although Ryuzaki already stated that he might post in the wrong section...I'm really sorry)

For Ryuzaki : what other novels you already read?
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Light Novel recommendations?

Post by zzhk »

It may sound biased coming from me, but I suggest trying out Campione and High School DxD, two series which offer substantial material to read should you like them.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Light Novel recommendations for SAO/AW readers?

Post by Mystes »

"A certain magical Index" is good, and I would recommend it. At least up till before NT.

Only title I could think of, but tbh, just try every series that you want. :D
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Ryuzaki8
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Ryuzaki8 »

arczyx wrote:For Ryuzaki : what other novels you already read?
None! That's what makes it so interesting, I'd been going for animes up until now. When I couldn't wait for anime episodes to be released, I'd read the manga. But SAO/AW mangas weren't very far. So, I took up the novels, although Accel World translations aren't very advanced, the anime is actually moving faster than translations. That's why any light novels you really like would be fine, haha. They don't have to be like AW/SAO.
zzhk wrote:It may sound biased coming from me, but I suggest trying out Campione and High School DxD, two series which offer substantial material to read should you like them.
I'll definitely take a look, thanks.
Kira0802 wrote:"A certain magical Index" is good, and I would recommend it. At least up till before NT.

What is ''NT?''
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Ryuzaki8 wrote:
Kira0802 wrote:"A certain magical Index" is good, and I would recommend it. At least up till before NT.

What is ''NT?''
New Testament, it follows after the index series.

Anyway, you probably should tell us what you liked about SAO/AW, it might be easier to give suggestions that way. If you like action and MMORPG, you might consider .HACK, if you are into lotsa girls, theres a lot of choices etc.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

If you like SAO and AW, maybe you would find Chrome Shelled Regios and Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei interesting.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Ryuzaki8 wrote:Hey, I'm aware that I might be posting in the wrong section, but I was hoping someone would recommend me some light novels?

Reason I posted here is simple: I really enjoy Sword Art Online & Accel World, but I'm at the latest right now, so I was hoping for some other light novels? They don't have to be exactly like SAO/Accel, I just want something you readers believe is on par with or better, haha. Trying new things is always nice.

Thanks!
To be honest, there's nothing like SAO / AW here. But you shouldn't really restrict yourself like that. You should try a volume for each series and decide for yourself (yes, a volume, because that's how LN readers decide; authors are practically given an entire volume's worth of content to sell their story to the reader). 'Good' is pretty subjective. Not everyone thinks SAO/AW are good. Not everyone thinks Index is good. Not everyone thinks DxD is good. Not everyone thinks Mahouka is good. Not everyone thinks Oreimo is good. Well, you get what I mean. Also, there are books that I find mediocre in many aspects (usually love comedies) but have high entertainment value to me. I don't just read good stuff; I read things I enjoy. You don't need something to have a divine story or mindblowing characters or phenomenal writing to enjoy a story. You should just try stuff out yourself and decide what you want to follow. I frankly dislike suggestions/recommendations threads (especially on the 'other' forum) because people usually suggest what they like LOL.

You can check out baka-tsuki's blog that have some reviews if you want.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

larethian wrote:You can check out baka-tsuki's blog that have some reviews if you want.
Speaking of which, the blog hasn't been updated for a while now...
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Speaking of similar settings, I heard 1/2 Prince also takes place in a game world? Apparently, it's quite good, too, so you might want to check it out. I haven't read it myself, though.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

If you want dual swords, there's always Eden
mythu
Haruhiist Sensei

Post by mythu »

There is! Knowing how tiresome is to "connect data" in a long sentence I didn't turn them in fewer so please do take your time contemplating on my recomandation's reasoning.
On asking why the hell didn't I leave all simple I am defending from one richer experience point of view dedicated to my dear fellows that will raise your concentration, insight &whoknowswhatelse with this well made reading (material) excercise.
Spoiler! :
Pardon my thread-revival with this ~20 day post interval yet from [one's yesterday joined perspective] it might seem only 2 days(of passing)..
I find it interesting how close related most personally aknowledged persons use our SAO route mentioned on our Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 am post and.. to the point one actually sincerely(likely contagiously startled) lays it plain-ly wonderfull.. to result in significally (enough) motivating further desirable activity huha.
Realizing I too would mind lone pondering struggle on further similar reality-connected experiences to raise my insight and transboundary(for starters or, the all-realm operating term the experienced use: spiritual) maturity so we could easily tackle our life issues(as covered problems, some dictionaries fail to mention) or conditions, time-resource-timed-team-sincronizing-etc-based difficulties..
Albeit this, more or less, I consider to be the main task of Role Playing Writings(RPW, Idk the proper acronim, probably none?), so improving our how-to-deal resolves & abilities.
Selecting the term writing and not novel because eh the range of searched materials would be exponentially increased with a more hit-the-point question such as: Re: Other similar writings recommendations for SAO/AW readers?
I being just a little different because I am ante reading a mountain of a novel translated in many included my own language(which ironically it's main roots are latin and..latin's main root, "bessica" language on which ~99% of it's circulating books were destroyed by the roman empire to protect their endangered civilization superiority and.. predator fame lol) yet being at a timeisoftheessence crossing path because it might take me at least 10 years to aprehend thankfully at least 50% of it by my experienced self.
There is indeed a forum dedicated to this somewhat shocking-tale movement but not as enjoyable as the translated novels from Baka-Tsuki
That's because the writings are serious, straight forward yet difficult to grasp, high spiritual quality and less entertaining but conveying us a lot on how to fully enjoy life.
SO to power up my poor will level, fuel my reading progress, to better realize the similar journey image and charge up more of my <fulfillment-desiring batteries> I've been reading SAO, watching AW + reading SAO-AW crowssower, The longing of Shina Ryo and waiting more than patiently the translations of AW after the Dusk Robber incident.
Why The longing..? Volume2CH4 "..Now consider that you have to fight others with the same growth potential, probably to death: in a situation like that, what do you think would be the obvious way to spend your points?.."
And if all these still aren't close to satisfying filling my large reservoirs I will probably continue with the Monogatari series on Baka-Tsuki which I suppose it would result in improved relationship engaging with the most complex of personalities but this being a small deal of priority.
Remember that all these writings I am mostly enjoying have a strong reality-related bond, are raising our percepting awareness and better fulfilling in my point of view their wanted "sacred" task.
Warning! Life-risk knowledge. NOT to be exposed until mastered, I did present it because I don't mind calculated risks:
For those interested on the mountain-novel I can barely & half-heartedly spell an alternative name: "revelation to our planet", and depending of the person, most start with the last volume 4, then normally proceed from volume 1 that is if they still have the "sanity" to continue.
No need for appreciating my self as I am doing this for gratitude and duty reasons. Rather than "blame" me "blame" the GOD that most often call "insensitive".
I am gratefull for the "openings" that enabled espressing of my deep desires. Thank you and may all own their "own selfish" proper desires.
Or as they say: daijobu, mirai no kimi wa tsuyoku tatte iru yo(it's ok, your future is standing strong). I say be happy now so you may (better) attract fulfillment.
Again to keep it short, this original(in english by a non-english autor) light novel "The longing of Shina Ryo" by Ryuno is my closest recomandation.
Spoiler! :
Facing life&death ++
"I am nothing in the eternity of this world..nor can I do anything in this vastness all by myself"(茜新地花屋散華 2, 26)
"the one to be envied is he who loves, however little he gets in return"(Eric Berne)
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

There's another recent MMO light novel, by the name of Sky World that I've noticed.... I haven't read it, but once I catch up on my readings....

Edit: I read the summary. It's almost exactly like SAO.... An MMO of Science + Magic, with many floating islands, and the players are stuck in the world unable to find the exit... (Without the death game part) By Fantasia Bunko.
Zephyr
Astral Realm

Post by Zephyr »

florza wrote:There's another recent MMO light novel, by the name of Sky World that I've noticed.... I haven't read it, but once I catch up on my readings....

Edit: I read the summary. It's almost exactly like SAO.... An MMO of Science + Magic, with many floating islands, and the players are stuck in the world unable to find the exit... (Without the death game part) By Fantasia Bunko.
where can i download its pdf?
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

Well, you can find it if you know where to look. It's also in Japanese, by the way.

Return to “Manga & Novel”