The number of translators

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

GDsMDDLFNGR
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by GDsMDDLFNGR »

it's hard to give an accurate rate of translation... but considering i took 7 months on editor-in-chief... :lol:
LQY
Astral Realm

Post by LQY »

BaKaFiSh wrote:So now, we have 4 chapters for 3 people.
/sigh
Now we have translator A, B, and C?

Prog. ABC
ch.1 A
ch.2 B
ch.3 C

How about that? Becoz prog. has 95 pages......
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Nope, only one translator per chapter (the prologue is also considered a chapter).

My first language was English, then I learned Chinese, then I was forced to learn Malay (the country's national language :roll: ), and now I'm studying Japanese :P

wtflux, could you drop Onizuka-GTO a message, either via PM, email, or his userpage? After you notify him you can start on your desired chapter ^^

(If you need the scans, I'm sure BaKaFiSh or Smidge204 has them. Try asking a bit ;P)
/me claws out throat and dies
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Damn, I've never run across any quadralinguls in real life. Are you guys making this up? :lol:
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

If you factor in dialects, I can speak English, Malay, Chinese, Cantonese, Hainanese and Hokkien 8) (I guess Jap doesn't count since I just started learning it last year ;P)
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

HolyCow wrote:If you factor in dialects, I can speak English, Malay, Chinese, Cantonese, Hainanese and Hokkien 8) (I guess Jap doesn't count since I just started learning it last year ;P)
I can only speak half of what you can :(. English, Chinese, Hokkien. should be learning japanese soon.
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

GDsMDDLFNGR wrote:it's hard to give an accurate rate of translation... but considering i took 7 months on editor-in-chief... :lol:
as kyon always say, yare yare.
Natsuke
Astral Realm

Post by Natsuke »

I'm not to sure if it's my place, but wouldn't it be an easier read (and even translate) if you guys just bundled up the alphas into one huge alpha, then the betas same? Like in chapter one, instead of going alpha/beta/beta/alpha, you just combine the alpha into one thing and beta into one thing so it would just become alpha/beta? Also, I think that would be a better way of translating than going back and forth, and when you finish, that's the time you can seperate it back to its numerous alpha and betas. It makes the order seem less chaotic. I haven't read the book, however, so I don't know if the alpha and beta parts each connect so much that the order -has- to stay that way.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

I'm sure it was written like that for a reason, though. In addition to not being "true to the original" I'm worried that there is some literary effect here that will be lost by de-interlacing.

=Smidge=
BaKaFiSh
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

I like this way, actually....

It's great to read. :roll:
LQY
Astral Realm

Post by LQY »

Natsuke wrote:I'm not to sure if it's my place, but wouldn't it be an easier read (and even translate) if you guys just bundled up the alphas into one huge alpha, then the betas same? Like in chapter one, instead of going alpha/beta/beta/alpha, you just combine the alpha into one thing and beta into one thing so it would just become alpha/beta? Also, I think that would be a better way of translating than going back and forth, and when you finish, that's the time you can seperate it back to its numerous alpha and betas. It makes the order seem less chaotic. I haven't read the book, however, so I don't know if the alpha and beta parts each connect so much that the order -has- to stay that way.
Well, these are parallel universes so people are same but stories are different although both will have a similar end in v.10.

So, wait and read^^
BaKaFiSh
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

Okay, we need to work out this thing now please~

I guess I'll do two chapters? >.<
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

I'll do chapter 3, I guess.

Do we want to split the prologue as we've discussed, or should we put one person on it?
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

The Unified Format Guidelines state only 1 person per chapter, so I guess no splitting :P

BTW wtflux, could you email/PM Onizuka-GTO about this first? If you're really planning to translate, you'll hvae to first drop him an email/PM.
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

all right, HC.

well then, looks like i'll just start doing chp3 whenever i have time to.

as i've said, whoever translates the prologue is free to use the 2 pages i translated, if you know where they are. although i could understand wanting to do it on your own, as 2 pages isn't really that much =p

ugh, i have 3 essays or more i have to write for my japanese class. the semester ends in 2-3 weeks, and they'll all probably have to go through the editing process. wish me luck, or strength in warding off the forces of laze >.<

ps: and yeah, i got the missing pages, so ch3 is fine for me now.

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”