Verb tenses

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

erehwon
Astral Realm

Verb tenses

Post by erehwon »

Since, we haven't gone really far in the project. I guess it's a good idea to speak about tenses. Well, another reason is because I suck at grammar in general.

The Unified Format Guideline forum has some interesting pieces that might help.

Since I'm translating this from Chinese, I don't think there is just thing as conjugation of verbs in that language. I eat tomorrow, I eat yesterday. I eat right now.

I usually used past tense if something is said and done. I use present if it's not. That's my rule of thumb...

Any other suggestions?
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

ok, an example of tense confusion:
“Call forth the Suzerain.”

Kazuma absolutely ignoring the killing intent from all directions, arrogantly commanded.
So should it be commanded or commands?
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

I've been having the same delema while editing ZnT. I've just been putting everything into past tense, since most stories I've read are in past tense, plus it's personal preference.
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

what is the past tense of say?
BaKaFiSh
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

said, lol
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

erehwon wrote:ok, an example of tense confusion:
“Call forth the Suzerain.”

Kazuma absolutely ignoring the killing intent from all directions, arrogantly commanded.
So should it be commanded or commands?
I'm pretty sure it's commanded. As I said before, I never learned grammer, so I just go by what sounds right to me (and I'm American so it's all good). When posting stuff like this, context might help. Oh yea, if you use MS word, don't trust it all the time. It has something against passive voice.

Forgot to add this. Dictionary dot com helps. But its not always 100% acurate. Merriam Webster (spelling?) is also helpful.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

"Commands" could also work, but like I said, I use past tense out of preference.
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

yeh i thought so, past tense of say is said. I'm going to use past tense in that instance: commanded.

If you read, most of the time you read something like so-and-so said, "blah blah." Something like that or so-and-so asked, "blah blah?"

I think in this instance, past tense is better to describe what someone said.

Does this make sense?
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Yeah, telling a story in present tense sometimes ends up with weird description of actions that are happening.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

So when discribing what someone said, use past tense? And when someone is talking, use past tense?
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

It's fine to use present tense where appropiate in dialouge.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Dan wrote:It's fine to use present tense where appropiate in dialouge.
Okay.
erehwon
Astral Realm

Post by erehwon »

Quote:
When he saw it, he was honestly, completely stunned.

Quote from chapter 1

Quote:
In order to understand the situation, the Fuga Clan were summoned, thus Hyoue himself gathered the youma ki in the air to understand who the enemy is.
The first one is probably alright, second one "is". I'm not too sure, I guess since the enemy is still the enemy, isn't an enemy of the past, so that's why I used is?

Any comments or suggestions?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

erehwon wrote:
Quote:

Quote from chapter 1

Quote:
In order to understand the situation, the Fuga Clan were summoned, thus Hyoue himself gathered the youma ki in the air to understand who the enemy is.
The first one is probably alright, second one "is". I'm not too sure, I guess since the enemy is still the enemy, isn't an enemy of the past, so that's why I used is?

In the first one just take out honestly so its...
"When he (<- would sound better if you put his name here) saw it, he completely stunned."

"In order to understand the situation, the Fuga Clan was summoned. Hyoue gathered the youma ki in the air to understand who the enemy is."

"In order to understand the situation, the Fuga Clan members were summoned. Hyoue gathered the youma ki in the air to understand who the enemy is."

If hes gather the ki, is trying to "identify" who the enemy is instead of "understanding" it?
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

erehwon wrote:
Quote:

Quote from chapter 1

Quote:

It can work, but to me it feels a bit odd since "the Fuga clan was summoned" (not "were summoned", clan is a singular noun, although it is a group of people) and "Hyoue himself gathered", both of the verbs in these phrases are past tense.

Return to “Kaze no Stigma”