Tokyo Ravens

Off-shoot branches of the main brigade who toil under the glorious leadership of our Editor-in-Chief.

General discussion related to projects by the Computer or Anime & Manga Club.....

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Tokyo Ravens ?

It was good! Please do more!
96%
It was interesting.
4%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 532

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Project Suggestion: Tokyo Ravens

Post by Teh_ping »

cramped wrote:lol, this is simply hilarious. We could get court-martial for that if the author decide to do so. (Business ya know BUSINESS!!!!! rofl)
That's the next logical step after the rejection. Technically, this goes for every single series we have here...

I don't know however...when someone asked Kawahara-shi about how to translate セルルト, he gave the answer as Selret.. We can't be certain of the author's English skills, just as the author can't be certain of our Japanese skills (or worse, whether we plan to sell the translations...)
cramped
Project Translator

Post by cramped »

True lol, this author english must be good since the last time I saw a japanese who understand english (ISUZU chief in Thailand's branch), I don't get a word he was saying then.
Patron God of NTRed
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

cramped wrote:lol, this is simply hilarious. We could get court-martial for that if the author decide to do so. (Business ya know BUSINESS!!!!! rofl)
What you say isn't completely wrong. But it's more complicated than that. Firstly it can be only considered "business" if what's translated here is robbing them of potential earnings, and it can be hard to judge whether a translated LN title will have a potential profitable business earning in a foreign market.

However, infringement can still be a case made against BT, but the chances of it taking place is very very unlikely. There are a few reasons why.
1. international boundary and the different interpretation of infringement laws across boundaries makes things very complicated
2. the Japanese don't like to deal directly with foreigners proactively.
3. the costs and time and effort involved is simply not worth it, unless they are losing money because of it, or unless a foreign company license the title believing it can sell well in the foreign market and in this case, the responsibility to persecute infringement in the foreign market falls upon the licensee (that's why TLG only approves unlicensed content).
4. even in the case a party wants to persecute, it normally makes more business sense to start with a written request (no cost incurred by the party), followed by a C&D (cease & desist) letter (which has to be formally drafted by a law firm and will cost the party at least a few thousand dollars). Formal lawsuits will bring the cost up by several factors and it does not makes business sense to spend this kind of money when a series has not even made any profits in the licensee market. on the contrary, BT can serve as free advertisement to an already existing network (networks are after all very important in this era of information age, and networks and communities can make or break a company)

In any case, if an author (or the home publisher of the author) personally requests us to take down his work that we are translating, we will actually accept his request.

(On a side note, I will advise against translating Biblia due to possible wasted effort, since its local sales have already exceeded Murakami Haruki's 1Q84, a mainstream novel which has been translated into multiple languages globally)
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

:lol: Well, that's one TLC option down. :lol:
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Lol. So that's what he did. Haha......
Looks like it was just my wild guess, I'm embarrassed. :oops:
cramped
Project Translator

Post by cramped »

Apparently the cast for Tokyo Raven is released.
Patron God of NTRed
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

cramped wrote:Apparently the cast for Tokyo Raven is released.
Linklinklinklink
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Kira0802 wrote:
cramped wrote:Apparently the cast for Tokyo Raven is released.
Linklinklinklink
link
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

^ Ooo wow. I was out of action for some time and this happened. Finally an anime for this. So happy :mrgreen:
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Kinda surprised it's Hanazawa.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Im worried about how many cour it is going to be. If it's one cour, then it should include first 3 volumes and several short stories from volume 4 and 5.
If its 2 cour, then it will be a bit weird since ending it in Volume 5 to 7 will be anti-climatic. The first 9 volumes is the First story arc, so 3-cour would be great......but thats unlikely to happen. :(

Lol, Hanazawa is going to voice a girl who is going to disguise herself as a guy again.
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

Code-Zero wrote:Im worried about how many cour it is going to be. If it's one cour, then it should include first 3 volumes and several short stories from volume 4 and 5.
If its 2 cour, then it will be a bit weird since ending it in Volume 5 to 7 will be anti-climatic. The first 9 volumes is the First story arc, so 3-cour would be great......but thats unlikely to happen. :(

Lol, Hanazawa is going to voice a girl who is going to disguise herself as a guy again.
Cour???

All I care about is that the season should end up ahead of the manga scanlations. :mrgreen: :lol:
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

chancs wrote:
Code-Zero wrote:Im worried about how many cour it is going to be. If it's one cour, then it should include first 3 volumes and several short stories from volume 4 and 5.

Cour???

All I care about is that the season should end up ahead of the manga scanlations. :mrgreen: :lol:
1 cour means 1 season (around 12 episodes). So 2-cour means 24 episodes.

Edit: Just checked. The English manga translation has already finished the chapters covering volume 2, and the some short stories on volume 4. Yeah, the story gets better from volume 3.

Oh? What chapter is the English translation in? The latest manga chapter is already covering Volume 5 of the LN.
Ehsan
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Ehsan »

Will B-T translate this LN :? :?
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

One who wants to learn can learn something from everything.

Return to “Auxiliary Brigades”