Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon ?

It was good! Please do more!
96%
It was interesting.
3%
Not as good as I thought.
1%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 759

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Kyokai Senjou no Horizon

Post by Mystes »

OK, but still, it's damn lot.

EDIT: BTW, what's Belle Flore supposed to be.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Kunagisa
Astral Realm

Post by Kunagisa »

Kira0802 wrote:OK, but still, it's damn lot.

EDIT: BTW, what's Belle Flore supposed to be.
Stage name.
Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Doraneko »

My apologies for all the nitpickings while sitting back as a leecher. :oops:

Horizon:Volume 1 School Rules
The Academy is to be developed in peace. In addition, act as an organization for the sake of protection and keeping the Far East from being controlled, and act as those who hold the most power wherever you be placed.

教導院は平和と発展、そして極東の非支配と保護のための組織として、各地における最高権力を有するものとする。
1. There are four objectives of 教導院: 1)平和, 2)発展, 3)極東の非支配, 4) (極東の) 保護. "発展" is not a verb here.

2. The second line does not sound too natural to me. In particular, who is "you"? Also, 教導院 is not a single supreme organization over all regions like a united earth government in SF stories, but holds supremacy only in their respective regions.

Within the Academy, as regards the resolution of Academy related problems, those that are able to link with students are but students.

教導院内、また教導院間の問題解決において、学生と相対できるのは学生だけである。
1. 教導院間 ≠ 教導院関係. 教導院内 is inside the Academy, or "intra-Academy" if there is such a word. 教導院間 is between each Academy, or "inter-Academy" if there is such a word.

2. 相対 ≠ link. Quoting Koujien:
あい‐たい【相対】 アヒ‥
(1)当事者同士が直接に会って事を行うこと。狂言、伯養「お逢ひなされて御―になされませ」
(2)双方が納得すること。合意。西鶴織留(6)「是非なく男と―にて乳母に出でける」
(3)対等であること。

More later...
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Knew this would come up sooner or later. I meant to look back at the school rules, but it slipped my mind.

I'll correct them all. In retrospect, a lot more things make sense.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

TRIVIA TIME! (aka Kadi crashes into another thread)

Did you know...

...that the boundary line (kyoukaisen) in the title, "where parallels intersect", describes a proper mathematical object? Parallels don't intersect in finite space, being parallel and all. But if you assume they intersect somewhere infinitely far away and take all the points of intersection of all the parallels there are, you get an object you can actually use in calculations, "the line in infinity" or something... I've heard (never really heard that lecture, and it wasn't in English, so I'm not sure about the term). Anyway, that's the boundary line referred to in the title. Made me smile somehow.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Waitm Kadi. How can they intersect if they are supposed to NEVER cross, which make thelines 'parallel'?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Well, they do. Infinitely far away. Maths says so...

Let's see, how can I explain this... Just assume parallels aren't perfectly parallel, just almost. They are so close to being parallel that you will never notice their distance decrease/change no matter how far you go even if you could perfectly measure their distance from each other, but somewhere, infinitely far away, they intersect. Something like that, maybe.

Infinity does that kind of stuff to you. Like, the "total amount" of natural numbers (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on), integers (add -1, -2, -3, etc.) and fractions is the same. Well, they are the same magnitude of infinite. But there are "more" real numbers, well, their amount has a higher magnitude of infinite.

(WAAAAAHHHHH, TOPIC, TOPIC, I DIDN'T WANT THIS!!!! ...pm?)
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I'd understand that if not for the headache that feels like there's a heartbeat pulsing away in the confines of my head.

Now, back on topic; I've fixed the school rules, (although done a while ago,) and I have to say that knowing slightly more context was quite a lot of help.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Ninth Clause:

As regards the resolution of Academy and furthermore inter-Academy problems, those that are able to dispute with students are but students.

教導院内、また教導院間の問題解決において、学生と相対できるのは学生だけである。
Regarding the school rules translation, I would think your translation choice of "dispute" for "相対" is probably from the second definition of 相対(そうたい). Considering the focus of the clause is dispute resolution, it would more likely for the word to take the first and second definition of 相対(あいたい) i.e. (1) concerning parties resolve a matter all by themselves (implied to be free of external interference); (2) reach a consensus.

I can't say you are wrong though since this is merely a subjective interpretation matter instead of an objective accuracy issue, so the word choice is up to you as the translator. Anyway good work and please keep up. :)

Quoting Koujien as always:
あい‐たい【相対】 アヒ‥
(1)当事者同士が直接に会って事を行うこと。狂言、伯養「お逢ひなされて御―になされませ」
(2)双方が納得すること。合意。西鶴織留(6)「是非なく男と―にて乳母に出でける」

(3)対等であること。

そう‐たい【相対】 サウ‥
(1)向きあっていること。向かいあうこと。
(2)相互に関係を有すること。対立すること。
(3)〔哲〕(the relative)他に対して在るもの。他との関係において在るもの。一定の関係、一定の状況においてだけ妥当するもの。自己同一性をもたないもの。相対者。⇔絶対。
Quoting Daijirin for your further reference:
あいたい[あひ―] 0 【相対】
[1] 他人を仲介に立てないで、当事者がさしむかいで行うこと。

―で話をつける
[2] 双方が対等の立場にあること。
[3] 合意の上であること。相対ずく。

是非なく男と―にて乳母に出ける〔出典: 浮世草子・織留 6〕

As for the discussion on "where parallels intersect", in general parallel lines represent conflicting views sharing no middle ground (ref: Vol 1b).

If we draw two perfectly parallel lines on a sheet of paper, theoretically they can never meet (at least not until infinity). But if you change your perspective a bit, hold the paper sideways and look at it at your eye level, you will only see one single line - the boundary (境界線) - and it is "where parallels intersect".

In other words, instead of busy pushing the other side to adhere to your views, why not pull yourself out of the debate and try to look at the whole issue from a different perspective. Sometimes the so-called conflicting views are not really that far apart.

"境界線上のホライゾン" - isn't it quite a clever title? :)
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I think your interpretation is just as clever. Unless it was specifically mwntioned in the book, in which case that's a meaningful title.

Regarding 相対, I don't really want to make it sound too peaceful, as in 'meet' or 'diplomatize' etc. Therefore, I'm thinking about.

Those that can stand on the same ground as students are but students.

Any opinions?
Anyway good work and please keep up
Nah, I failed the school rules. As much as I'd like to blame my lack of knowledge, it was just a blatant mistranslation.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Those that can stand on the same ground as students are but students.

Any opinions?
Or maybe something alone the line of of "negotiate on an equal-footing". It sounds fine to me anyway. :)
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Would be true, except the Far East student's are majorly disadvantaged.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Would be true, except the Far East student's are majorly disadvantaged.
That is certainly true. But anyway I think the focus of the clause is delegation of the duty to solve inter/intra-Academy problems to students (instead of adults), rather than illustration of geopolitics and the current disadvantaged position of the Far East.

As I said your version sounds fine. Moreover, however you put it in English, you have full discretion as the translator. 8)
Astral Realm

Re: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon

Post by Guest »

Darklor wrote:Ah, sorry to disapoint you, but it wasnt translated by me, but by Imoutolover and Suiri Megami Alice. I only created this thread ;)
Oh... :oops:

Still awesome nonetheless! :P
Astral Realm

Re: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon

Post by Guest »

I didn't think anyone would translate the Horizon novels, or even consider translating them.
It certainly puts into perspective how large of a novel this is when the first episode covered only the prologue.

I just want to say to the ones working on this, you're doing a great job so far and I can't wait to read more.

Return to “English”