Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Chrome Shelled Regios - Names and Terminology Guidelines

Post by blewin »

what's the context for the dojo, Haze?

according to the artbook, Ailen's spelling is wrong for Legend of Regios! It should be Eyerayne. Shall we add that to the list?
xstar
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by xstar »

KieR wrote:~xstar, you didn't believe in anime writings but look at officials romacji-zacion from art book created by Miyuu with you can find in spoiler tag in Kakkou's post: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread. ... ost2667434. If you can try to keep with official writings of names.
Ok, artbook confirmation works. Will update the list accordingly.

Wow Eyerayne (アイレイン) is a bizarre transliteration. I'll recheck the pages to confirm Japanese text.

Edit: Really though, some of these spellings are absolutely bizarre, and some of them aren't completely spelled out. Kinda wondering if the artist didn't just push the text through a translation engine.
Last edited by xstar on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Haze
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Chrome Shelled Regios
Now to be Tenyoku no Alderamin

Post by Haze »

Context? Its just Leerin's explanation as to why there are a sea of ppl outide the Psyhardn Dojo instead of anywhere else. She just goes through which Dojos exist in Grendan. I was just curious as to which HB founded or is a part of the Rivanesu Dojo/school. Not really that important. I'm keeping in Romanji unless otherwise directed by XStar.
~Haze.

Baka.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Haze wrote:Context? Its just Leerin's explanation as to why there are a sea of ppl outide the Psyhardn Dojo instead of anywhere else. She just goes through which Dojos exist in Grendan. I was just curious as to which HB founded or is a part of the Rivanesu Dojo/school. Not really that important. I'm keeping in Romanji unless otherwise directed by XStar.
Where exactly is it found? Looks like it's just gonna transliterate as Rivanes. The only name remotely resembling that out of the Heaven's Blades is Kanaris' and that I know is wrong. The list should be complete as far as Blades go (counting the unclaimed blade Layfon used to swing).

Edit: I just noticed something important.
Wow Eyerayne (アイレイン) is a bizarre transliteration. I'll recheck the pages to confirm Japanese text.

Edit: Really though, some of these spellings are absolutely bizarre, and some of them aren't completely spelled out. Kinda wondering if the artist didn't just push the text through a translation engine.
Before I do something rash and redo all of this work: confirming the spelling for Dalshena/Dalshiena in Volume 09 Chapter 1 page 25 is ダルシェナ which becomes Darushena character for character. For Zero no Tsukaima, the character is Siesta (シエスタ in Katakana) is spelled out as Shiesuta. My case in point is the distinction between She (シェ pronounced SHAY) and Shie (シエ pronounced SHI-AY). Even if it's two different authors, Katakana use is distinctly ingrained in it's use. If the artbooks are right, why would the author make a distinction between the subscript-ed character?

What's everyone else's input?
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

I wouldn't rely too much on logic for some of these translations, since near the end just the first names are translated while ignoring the rest. And I'm pretty sure "Wolf face men" is just wrong in English, as I believe it should be "Wolf-faced men" if anything.

Then again, I also think it should be "Chrome-Shelled Regios".
xstar wrote: Before I do something rash and redo all of this work: confirming the spelling for Dalshena/Dalshiena in Volume 09 Chapter 1 page 25 is ダルシェナ which becomes Darushena character for character. For Zero no Tsukaima, the character is Siesta (シエスタ in Katakana) is spelled out as Shiesuta. My case in point is the distinction between She (シェ pronounced SHAY) and Shie (シエ pronounced SHI-AY). Even if it's two different authors, Katakana use is distinctly ingrained in it's use. If the artbooks are right, why would the author make a distinction between the subscript-ed character?
The loophole's also in her full name: ダルシェナ・シェ・マテルナ. I know English can have some messed up spellings, but Japanese 'creative' western names really take the cake.

Still, it'd be nice if the Index series got one of these.
xstar wrote:What's everyone else's input?
I'm a fan of official translations, except the ones that are just plain off, like how they'll often leave the = in the name, like Stiyl=Magnus. Then again, I just assumed it was a space from other translations, like the ・ and don't know why one would be used over the other.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Enigma wrote:I wouldn't rely too much on logic for some of these translations, since near the end just the first names are translated while ignoring the rest. And I'm pretty sure "Wolf face men" is just wrong in English, as I believe it should be "Wolf-faced men" if anything.

Then again, I also think it should be "Chrome-Shelled Regios".
xstar wrote: Before I do something rash and redo all of this work: confirming the spelling for Dalshena/Dalshiena in Volume 09 Chapter 1 page 25 is ダルシェナ which becomes Darushena character for character. For Zero no Tsukaima, the character is Siesta (シエスタ in Katakana) is spelled out as Shiesuta. My case in point is the distinction between She (シェ pronounced SHAY) and Shie (シエ pronounced SHI-AY). Even if it's two different authors, Katakana use is distinctly ingrained in it's use. If the artbooks are right, why would the author make a distinction between the subscript-ed character?
The loophole's also in her full name: ダルシェナ・シェ・マテルナ. I know English can have some messed up spellings, but Japanese 'creative' western names really take the cake.

Still, it'd be nice if the Index series got one of these.
xstar wrote:What's everyone else's input?
I'm a fan of official translations, except the ones that are just plain off, like how they'll often leave the = in the name, like Stiyl=Magnus. Then again, I just assumed it was a space from other translations, like the ・ and don't know why one would be used over the other.
First, the second シェ in her name has an actually has a foreign (in the perspective of the Japanese) counter part (Che) that's normally accepted. Also, her nickname Shena (シェーナ) really only makes sense as the second half of her first name, in which case has the same spelling point in my last post.

The dot is actually out of the Japanese text to denote a space between the first name and surname in non-Japanese names. Case in point ジョン・スミス (John Smith). Normally names are written surname first in Japanese with no spaces between.

Another point. When you look at the name Airein/Eyerayne (アイレイン), the first part of the name アイ (ai) when put through some Japanese to English translators comes out as Eye as in Eyeball. Sometimes people do some weird things to make their lives easier.
Last edited by xstar on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

xstar wrote:First, the second シェ in her name has an actually has a foreign (in the perspective of the Japanese) counter part that's normally accepted.

The dot is actually out of the Japanese text to denote a space between the first name and surname in non-Japanese names. Case in point ジョン・スミス (John Smith). Normally names are written surname first in Japanese with no spaces between.

Another point. When you look at the name Aire-n/Eyerayne (アイレイン), the first part of the name アイ (ai) when put through some Japanese to English translators comes out as Eye as in Eyeball. Sometimes people do some weird things to make their lives easier.
I meant the シェ is pronounced the same (roughly anyway) in both, is it not? In their English version, they're pronounced differently.

And I get the whole ・ spacing and all, I just don't get the whole = spacing (on why it's ステイル=マグヌス instead of ステイル・マグヌス). Hopefully it's not as complicated as using a semicolon over a comma.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Enigma wrote:
xstar wrote:First, the second シェ in her name has an actually has a foreign (in the perspective of the Japanese) counter part that's normally accepted.

Another point. When you look at the name Aire-n/Eyerayne (アイレイン), the first part of the name アイ (ai) when put through some Japanese to English translators comes out as Eye as in Eyeball. Sometimes people do some weird things to make their lives easier.
I meant the シェ is pronounced the same (roughly anyway) in both, is it not? In their English version, they're pronounced differently.

And I get the whole ・ spacing and all, I just don't get the whole = spacing (on why it's ステイル=マグヌス instead of ステイル・マグヌス). Hopefully it's not as complicated as using a semicolon over a comma.
Yes the シェ's are all pronounced the same including her pet-name Sharnid gives her as well as her first name and her middle "name" which sounds more like those center articles you see in European languages like 'de la', 'di', etc. I assume you're talking about the English dub? I am of the opinion that dubs can be really weird no matter which language is the source and which language is the recipient language. Also, they could have seen the same thing we're debating about now and decided to just go with it. Seriously though Eyerayne seems straight out of a translator.

No, the = and the ・ are used in the same context it seems. It's the same weird thing as inserting a heart or a five point star to make it look cute/cool.

Post-script: I have a really bad habit of editing my work as I go. I should really just hit preview and get back to it later, but alas. I apologize for the inconvenience.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

hang on. Are you planning to change all the spellings? um... I'm not sure how necessary that is given how most of the current spellings reflect the pronunciations of the names (plus the spellings aren't all that different). I only brought up the Ailen-Eyerayne issue because the spelling is 360 degrees different and that we've only just started on Legend.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

blewin wrote:

hang on. Are you planning to change all the spellings? um... I'm not sure how necessary that is given how most of the current spellings reflect the pronunciations of the names (plus the spellings aren't all that different). I only brought up the Ailen-Eyerayne issue because the spelling is 360 degrees different and that we've only just started on Legend.
Ah kk. My thoughts exactly. Making sure not to do something rash. Someone pointed out an art book done by the artist for the series with the character names in English lettering. So I was wondering what everyone's response was to that.

If you say so, we'll keep it the way they are.

Now on to the Ailen issue. The name is strange even though it comes from the art book. It really does look like the artist just threw it into Ye old Japanese to English translator, but that's only my thought. Well, considering it's the name of a guy, Ailen sounds more suitable or it could be an alias more along the lines of Eyerain. BTW his name comes out to be something along the lines of Aile-n Garfield(アイレイン・ガーフィード), though not exactly sure on the surname. Have you come across his surname in the volumes yet?
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

xstar wrote: Ah kk. My thoughts exactly. Making sure not to do something rash. Someone pointed out an art book done by the artist for the series with the character names in English lettering. So I was wondering what everyone's response was to that.

If you say so, we'll keep it the way they are.
thanks. I thought it's too much work for all of us.
xstar wrote:Now on to the Ailen issue. The name is strange even though it comes from the art book. It really does look like the artist just threw it into Ye old Japanese to English translator, but that's only my thought. Well, considering it's the name of a guy, Ailen sounds more suitable or it could be an alias more along the lines of Eyerain. BTW his name comes out to be something along the lines of Aile-n Garfield(アイレイン・ガーフィード), though not exactly sure on the surname. Have you come across his surname in the volumes yet?
nope. Maybe we'll find out when one day someone decides to TL the whole volume of LoR.
in that case, we'll go with your judgement and use Ailen instead.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Eyerayne
Could this be Ireen?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Darklor wrote:
Eyerayne
Could this be Ireen?
Not too sure. They are referring to a guy so I don't think so.

Edit: One more thing, as for Ryuhou's name does Ryuhou Salinvan Gadge (リュホウ・サリンバン・ガジュ) work? His surname comes out to be something along the lines of Gajyu.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
xstar
Project Translator

Post by xstar »

Darklor wrote:Ah, hmm a guy... http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Airen
OK. Going with Airen Garfield (アイレイン・ガーフィード) then. Adding it to the list.
死んでしまうなんてよくねえだろう。

Return to “Chrome Shelled Regios & Toaru Majutsu no Index - New Testament”