SAO Anime Discussion Thread

General discussion related to these two novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Sword Art Online getting animated

Post by Pryun »

*nitpicky mode on* volume three is ALO, NOT GGO. *nitpicky mode off*

Where in GGO? can name the chapter for me to check?(too busy rewatching sao to do it myself^^)
Rxzlion
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rxzlion »

Pryun wrote:*nitpicky mode on* volume three is ALO, NOT GGO. *nitpicky mode off*

Where in GGO? can name the chapter for me to check?(too busy rewatching sao to do it myself^^)
The recent VR games, for almost all of the titles, forbid changing the sex of the player and avatar. The reason is because the long-term use of an avatar of the opposite sex results in adverse effects for the spirit and body that cannot be ignored. However, I have heard that, because the identification of the players' sex occurs due to the players' brain waves, in extremely rare cases, due to some impulse the system decides with the opposite sex, players have been startled when they dive in.
Now that I think about it, changing the sex setting was possible in the original SAO, but immediately after the start, the system reverted us to our original sex, I wonder if after all, it was because Kayaba understood the adverse effects ... and with those sudden out of place thoughts wandering around in my head, I finally looked at the male face, and while shrugging my shoulders, I replied
Its a quote from volume 5 chapter 6 and it makes me look stupid because the part about SAO :lol:.
And also it says forbid i am sure the its not possibly because the whole first part of GGO revolves around him mistaken for a girl.
But we are off subject so SAO problem solved and i am stupid XD.
firestalker5
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by firestalker5 »

So I got bored today and just started doing this...
Spoiler! :
*All the pages indicated in this thread are calculated from the Baka-Tsuki PDF files. Basically anything not story related and all images were excluded.

So according to my calculations the series will be about 17.5 episodes if they just stay to the main story and the few SS we KNOW they're doing.

Of course this only if they follow the stories to the absolute letter [which we know they aren't doing].

Based on the titles of the next few episodes we can hypothesis that they are going to shorten the Aria SS from 3 episodes down to 1 episode. Based on that information we can make the assumptions that anything under 3 episodes can, and will most likely be, shortened to 1 episode.

Based on that information you can say this now... the SAO main story and SS will be between 12 and 13 Episodes long. Even if they length one or two of the SS that will only change it to a moderate length of maybe 14 and 15 episodes. Of course they won't go word for word so you can probably even short the main story to 6 episodes.

So.... unless they are going to add more SS and a lot of fillers that will distract and break up the pacing of the story, I can't really see how they are going to make this a 24-26 episode series based solely on the SAO arc.

Now let's see what the ALO arc is...
Spoiler! :
So it's only about 10 episodes long [if they do it word for word]. If they were to add it as the last half of the series it would definitely fit nicely there...

15 Episodes [SAO arc max amount of episodes]
11 Episodes [ALO arc max amount of episodes, plus one for good measure]
26 Episodes

So there you have it... My bored ramblings and calculations for this series. Before you say it YES! I have way too much time on my hands.

*All calculations are approximate and at the very best are guesses [though educated ones]. This mostly as a bored thing to kill time, but I thought it was interesting and so decided to post it.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Hmm, BeginnerXP has already posted the titles of the following episodes.
Spoiler! :
2話「ビーター」 'Beater'
3話「赤鼻のトナカイ」 'Red-nosed Reindeer'
4話「黒の剣士」 'The Black Swordsman'
5話「圏内事件」 'Murder Case in the Area'
Pages or text length definitely can't relate to the length of an animation. Some events are much shorter when animated, while some are naturally skipped in favor for the keeping the main story in pace to the number of episodes given to them.
firestalker5
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by firestalker5 »

KuroiHikari wrote:Hmm, BeginnerXP has already posted the titles of the following episodes.
Spoiler! :
2話「ビーター」 'Beater'
Pages or text length definitely can't relate to the length of an animation. Some events are much shorter when animated, while some are naturally skipped in favor for the keeping the main story in pace to the number of episodes given to them.
You didn't read the text did you? I'm sure I'm way off on the numbers [this is based on one episode and doesn't have enough data to make an accurate prediction]. But I made the math with the data I had. I'm well aware that there are things that will be omitted and some that might even be expanded. I clearly stated that this was a rough estimate and at best an educated guess about possible storyline lengths based on available information. Nothing more.

By the way.... I actually wrote this before I knew the title of episode 5 since I just learned that one today. So I guess I'll have to go back adjust my calculations a little.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Not really, I guess. I saw the image, and I just wanted to say the page length doesn't say much.
firestalker5
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by firestalker5 »

KuroiHikari wrote:Not really, I guess. I saw the image, and I just wanted to say the page length doesn't say much.
I'm well aware of that fact... I needed a basis for the calculations and page length to episode length was a good starting point. I know every episode will be different, but it was fun and interesting to at least see how it might turn out.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

... why not use word count as opposed to page count?

Even better, go rewatch episode one and compare the dialogue time to the amount of dialogue in those pages(how long they are), followed by the action scenes and how long they take. I feel that is a better approximation, since words describing actions take up a lot more space than actually animating it.

... I'm only suggesting this for you to do since you have so much free time ^^.
firestalker5
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by firestalker5 »

Pryun wrote:... why not use word count as opposed to page count?

Even better, go rewatch episode one and compare the dialogue time to the amount of dialogue in those pages(how long they are), followed by the action scenes and how long they take. I feel that is a better approximation, since words describing actions take up a lot more space than actually animating it.

... I'm only suggesting this for you to do since you have so much free time ^^.
Too many numbers.... I go blind. Page count better.
Pryun
Asakura Ryoko Terminator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Pryun »

... didn't you have free time? you can always use word counting software to help you...

haha, it is wayyyy too much trouble, I'd agree. I just wanted people to know that actions and dialogues take up different amount of time in the anime even if they have the same number of words...
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

firestalker5 wrote:
KuroiHikari wrote:Hmm, BeginnerXP has already posted the titles of the following episodes.
Spoiler! :
2話「ビーター」 'Beater'
You didn't read the text did you? I'm sure I'm way off on the numbers [this is based on one episode and doesn't have enough data to make an accurate prediction]. But I made the math with the data I had. I'm well aware that there are things that will be omitted and some that might even be expanded. I clearly stated that this was a rough estimate and at best an educated guess about possible storyline lengths based on available information. Nothing more.

By the way.... I actually wrote this before I knew the title of episode 5 since I just learned that one today. So I guess I'll have to go back adjust my calculations a little.
You can't do that kind of prediction because you don't how the studio will animate the series. They may cramp and strip away for some arcs and flesh out others. The only way you can predict is from the future episode titles.
firestalker5
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by firestalker5 »

larethian wrote:You can't do that kind of prediction because you don't how the studio will animate the series. They may cramp and strip away for some arcs and flesh out others. The only way you can predict is from the future episode titles.
You didn't look at that text either did you? It states in the wall of text I wrote that I took the SS and names of the episodes as a basis for determining what I'll be using. I have to adjust the calculations a little bit now that I know that episode 5 is a SS I didn't add to my calculations though, but it shouldn't change them too much.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ben1234 »

It turns out they skipped half of Aria and even the OP had a better fight scene than the actual boss fight

Oh A-1, I knew you weren't going to fail us :roll:
Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Tap »

Geh, apparently they're skipping a whole lot of Aria.
According to a fan's blog post, these are skipped/rushed:
Spoiler! :
  1. Kirito meeting Asuna in the dungeon.
  2. Witnessing Asuna's potential.
  3. How Asuna calms down in SAO with Kirito by her side.
  4. How Kirito worries his own actions will affect the beta testers who played normally.
  5. Information on the only item the boss dropped and the concept of the last attack bonus.
  6. How Kirito warns about the irregular attack patterns.
  7. How Kirito realises Asuna's talent and the importance of clearing the game to her.
  8. How Kirito interrupts Asuna's rebuttal to those trying to shift the blame. (edit from the web version?)
  9. How Kirito bears the infamy for the normal beta testers and Asuna.
  10. How Asuna and Agil spot Kirito's true intentions.
Frankly, I'm really worried for Red-nosed Reindeer now.
The strong point of SAO is the description and character interactions, since most of the battles end through deux ex machina, so if they rush through it so much...

Edit: Gah, ninja-d.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Tap wrote:Geh, apparently they're skipping a whole lot of Aria.
According to a fan's blog post, these are skipped/rushed:
Spoiler! :
  1. Kirito meeting Asuna in the dungeon.
  2. Witnessing Asuna's potential.
  3. How Asuna calms down in SAO with Kirito by her side.
  4. How Kirito worries his own actions will affect the beta testers who played normally.
  5. Information on the only item the boss dropped and the concept of the last attack bonus.
  6. How Kirito warns about the irregular attack patterns.
  7. How Kirito realises Asuna's talent and the importance of clearing the game to her.
  8. How Kirito interrupts Asuna's rebuttal to those trying to shift the blame. (edit from the web version?)
  9. How Kirito bears the infamy for the normal beta testers and Asuna.
  10. How Asuna and Agil spot Kirito's true intentions.
Frankly, I'm really worried for Red-nosed Reindeer now.
The strong point of SAO is the description and character interactions, since most of the battles end through deux ex machina, so if they rush through it so much...
You forgot this :
Spoiler! :
  1. Argo was simply removed.
  2. No fan-service.
  3. Major edits in the original script, nearly halved. Kibaou's role is different and Diavel is less manipulative.
Animation is really good, but it can't do anything to the rushed feeling we had from this episode. This and skipping a lot of action.

They're going too fast. Got a bad feeling for the next episodes.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.

Return to “Sword Art Online & Accel World”