High School DxD

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading High School DxD ?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
1%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 6821

KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: High School DxD

Post by KuroiHikari »

Let Giga have a go at it
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Wolfpup »

KuroiHikari wrote:Let Giga have a go at it
we are not saying Giga shouldn't do any editing it is just that he should look @ the guidelines set up for the project and try to stick as closely to them as possible. I have installed the British Dictionary for FF's editor to help with spelling and such. This way I do not have blatant spelling errors because I typed a work in American English instead of British.
Always on the hunt for good Anime and their associated Light Novels, Manga. :)
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

He's talking about grammar, and unless you can explain how his example is grammatically correct, I say he has a strong valid point.

Perhaps you could put a number of examples of what would be grammatically incorrect in US English and grammatically correct in UK English.
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka, date a live

Post by veritatis cupitor »

i don't think british/american english is the big deal. the problem is errors, grammatical or else.
if you people have raws, can you check on an error gary mentioned in names and terminology thread? he mentioned it quite a long time ago.
ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU TRANSLATOR SAN.
Gigaknight
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gigaknight »

Regarding my focus, KuroiHikari and Veritatis Cupitor are correct.
Wolfpup wrote: we are not saying Giga shouldn't do any editing it is just that he should look @ the1 guidelines set up for the project and try to stick as closely to them as possible. I have installed the British Dictionary for FF's editor to help with spelling and such. This way I do not have blatant spelling errors because I typed a work in American English instead of British.
Reading this page, I see no regulations regarding grammar relevant to the problem being discussed. And just as I've already said (shown in the quote below), suggestions I've made were rejected thrice in the cleanup topic--those rejections weren't even based on the guidelines, as there were/are no guidelines pertinent to the example I presented.

As for leaving the editing to me, I will quote myself:
Gigaknight wrote:I very well could go and make changes myself (Denormative suggested it), but suggestions I've made were already rejected across the board--I'm pretty sure that any changes I make would be similarly rejected and thus undone, so I don't really want to pour effort and time into that--especially after the translator's response to me. (Most of the volumes are rife with grammatical errors, as well.) On top of that, I'm wondering how I can notice the poor quality of these final products while nine editors (who've actually committed to this project, according to the page) can't. Even if it were possible for me to join (the staff is "full", also according to the page), how could my efforts alone outstrip those of the committed nine? The focus should not be on me--it should be on the registered nine.
In addition to the rejections of my suggestions, I took a look at your discussion page a little while back, Wolfpup. I noticed that you reverted edits made by Stellaroze, defending them (especially one regarding the sentence "a crimson red hair") with the same reason you and Code-Zero gave me a year later in that other topic. Perhaps proper grammar won at the end of that matter, but the fact that you both would repeat that mantra a year later tells me that neither of you would be receptive of my edits. Code-Zero's disrespect doesn't make me any more willing to contribute my already scarce free time, either.

That being considered, and once again, what about the registered nine editors?
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka, date a live

Post by veritatis cupitor »

let's not think what other editors are doing. they may be busy with real life. let's do what we can do without swaying from code-zero's guidelines.
ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU TRANSLATOR SAN.
Aiel
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Aiel »

Speaking of Code-zero, did he run in some trouble ? It look like he had disapear for a while now ...
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Wolfpup »

Aiel wrote:Speaking of Code-zero, did he run in some trouble ? It look like he had disapear for a while now ...
Actually is is taking a breather on DxD and working on another project here for a bit then will come back to this one.
Always on the hunt for good Anime and their associated Light Novels, Manga. :)
Aiel
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Aiel »

Wolfpup wrote: Actually is is taking a breather on DxD and working on another project here for a bit then will come back to this one.
Well, I' am aware of the fact, but even on that another project, he don't show up anymore.
octapusxft
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by octapusxft »

I do hope that Irina gets more love in volume 18.
It must be really hard for her to get rooster-blocked by her angel status.
Aiel wrote:Well, I' am aware of the fact, but even on that another project, he don't show up anymore.
A hiatus maybe? I hope that nothing worse happened
Always wondering why do translators go AWOL?
Gigaknight
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gigaknight »

veritatis cupitor wrote:let's not think what other editors are doing. they may be busy with real life.
This is superficially sound reasoning. However, it is not an excuse to ignore the fact that they are registered editors. What they do off the site--whether it is what keeps them away or not--is immaterial and, indeed, should not be spoken of. It's not our business. But what they do for the DxD novel as registered editors is not beyond discussion, nor should it be.
veritatis cupitor wrote:let's do what we can do without swaying from code-zero's guidelines.
What are those guidelines? The inapplicable ones on the guideline page or the unwritten ones that produced the aforementioned poor grammatical quality?
ssj1236
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ssj1236 »

Will code zero return or is this the end :(
harks87
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by harks87 »

well,things are looking very bleak for dxd now that code zero is MIA i hope other previous transalators like zzhk or eternal dreamer will again take this novel :cry:
ssj1236
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ssj1236 »

At this time we can just hhope for code-zero to return :(
octapusxft
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by octapusxft »

ssj1236 wrote:At this time we can just hhope for code-zero to return :(
It worries me each both people in real life and over the internet disappear like this.
It makes me imagine them in a a hospital bed at a comatose state after a nasty accident or worse.
Always wondering why do translators go AWOL?

Return to “High School DxD”