High School DxD - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: High School DxD - Names and Terminology

Post by Code-Zero »

veritatis cupitor wrote:plural of gremory - gremorys or gremory's (used in vol 17)?
text -
They say that the High-class Devils from ancient times is(are) different depending on their household, but the Gremory’s(Gremorys) really are peaceful.
Let's go with Gremory's :D
Thanks for noticing it
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka, date a live

Post by veritatis cupitor »

sky city Agreas or sky city Agares? both have been used in vol 17.
ex -
The place where the school was built is very close to the sky city Agreas which was the place the Gremory group and the Bael group had the Rating Game.

There are many civilians that makes their living mainly by working as a farmer, but the population over here isn’t that high. It won’t be weird for this town to develop by turning into a sightseeing location for the tourists since it’s close to sky city Agares, which is the holy land for the Rating Game.
ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU TRANSLATOR SAN.
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Yup. Its sky city "Agreas".
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

something seems amiss here. v17 life 3 part 2 -
If they hadn’t get(got/had) their magic sealed, (then) we could have escaped the barrier around this town right away if we ignore the barrier around the region.

—is preparing for it.
By using the magic that wasn’t sealed, the Magicians gathered at the school’s basement shelter is currently attempting to make a teleportation magic-circle!

an incomplete sentence " —is preparing for it" is used.
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

veritatis cupitor wrote:something seems amiss here. v17 life 3 part 2 -
If they hadn’t get(got/had) their magic sealed, (then) we could have escaped the barrier around this town right away if we ignore the barrier around the region.

—is preparing for it.
By using the magic that wasn’t sealed, the Magicians gathered at the school’s basement shelter is currently attempting to make a teleportation magic-circle!

an incomplete sentence " —is preparing for it" is used.
Thanks for the notice. :D
Gary29
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gary29 »

Thanks for your translations of DxD, Zero. I'm about to go through every single chapter and fix all the errors I can find, but first:

I approach Rossweisse-san without any care and then tell her.
“……If I was to be used by them to hurt my comrades and cause trouble to this world, I would choose death. I won’t be able to endure everyone dying for someone like me……”

Volume 17 Life 2 Part 5, is there a line missing there? It transitions from '...and then tell her.' to her response.
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

Gary29 wrote:Thanks for your translations of DxD, Zero. I'm about to go through every single chapter and fix all the errors I can find, but first:

I approach Rossweisse-san without any care and then tell her.
“……If I was to be used by them to hurt my comrades and cause trouble to this world, I would choose death. I won’t be able to endure everyone dying for someone like me……”

Volume 17 Life 2 Part 5, is there a line missing there? It transitions from '...and then tell her.' to her response.
good catch. i missed it while editing. i don't know japanese/chinese and hence i can't say with certainty what actually should be there.
1st sentence says ise is the one talking but the 2nd sentence is of rossweisse. there may be something missing or may be the 1st part actually comes after the 2nd one. whatever it is, thanks for observing it and let's wait for what those with raws reply.
Unkalibriert
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Unkalibriert »

How strange. Didn't I mention once, that "Rossweisse" would be more correctly written as "Roßweiße", which was the original spelling in the opera "Die Walküre" by Richard Wagner? Even in modern German it would still be written as "Rossweiße", leaving one "sharp S".
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

not my position to argue but i think that keeping english translations in its own alphabets would be better.
Unkalibriert
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Unkalibriert »

Well, then "Kämpfer" for example would have been "Kaempfer" in an English version. It doesn't matter that much anyway. ^^

Edit: it seems that title has gone MIA on this board...
darkkaos
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by darkkaos »

I was searching and I couldn't find the explanation about this:

Since in the novel they usually call Issei like イッセー (Isse-), why we're using "Ise"? I just would like to know that :D

Thanks.
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Wolfpup »

darkkaos wrote:I was searching and I couldn't find the explanation about this:

Since in the novel they usually call Issei like イッセー (Isse-), why we're using "Ise"? I just would like to know that :D

Thanks.
Issei is his proper first name. Rias and the other girls are calling him by a much shorter version 'Ise' as a term of endearment. For example if you had a GF and her first mane was Elizabeth would you not shorten it to either Liz or Beth when talking directly to her as a way to show your affection for her?

:D
Always on the hunt for good Anime and their associated Light Novels, Manga. :)
darkkaos
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by darkkaos »

Wolfpup wrote: Issei is his proper first name. Rias and the other girls are calling him by a much shorter version 'Ise' as a term of endearment. For example if you had a GF and her first mane was Elizabeth would you not shorten it to either Liz or Beth when talking directly to her as a way to show your affection for her?

:D

Hmmm... Maybe I wasn't clear, lemme try this again. xD

His name is: 兵藤 一誠 (read like Hyoudou Issei)
His shorter version into the novel is イッセー (Isse).

Since they call him "Isse" with double "s" and without "I" at the end, why do we came to "Ise", with just one "s" and not two "s"? It's some kind of grammar rule into english? Sorry, english isn't my mother language (like you can see) and I'm trying to understand about this :P

Maybe now it's more clear?
Aesma
Astral Realm

Post by Aesma »

A question for you guys, why does the translation use 'Rizevim Livan'?
He is リゼヴィム・リヴァン・ルシファー.
Shouldn't it be: Lizevim Livan Lucifer?
Or: Rizevim Rivan Lucifer?
I know that Rizevim and Livan sounds more like names, but... is there no other reason?

Also, someone in the page back mentioned about Vali's name.
Vali's name is taken from Ramayana. From a warrior who (Thanks to Shiva's blessing, I believe) can halve his opponent's strength and and take it as his own (Sounds familiar?).
veritatis cupitor
Project Editor

Aesma wrote:Also, someone in the page back mentioned about Vali's name.
Vali's name is taken from Ramayana. From a warrior who (Thanks to Shiva's blessing, I believe) can halve his opponent's strength and and take it as his own (Sounds familiar?).
lol! i never thought about the resemblance between bali and vali. you sure are right.

Return to “High School DxD”