High School DxD - Names and Terminology

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: High School DxD - Names and Terminology

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Misogi wrote:
What I meant is that the "First Name - Family Name" order of the transcription will only be in the Names and Terminology list. To be faithful to the original form. In the translations, the order is switched, I don't have a problem with that.
There are more than 4 names concerned (the Maou for example).

Edit : I think you got what I meant.
Well alright then, we could do that. :)
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Reposting my edited message.
Hiro Hayase wrote:You're right, but Code-Zero and the other translators will be translating in that order according to the Japanese norms which is family name then first name. Well we could have the romaji name in that order, then in the novel have them in family name first, then first name order. Although, there's a problem with that since some names are in that order "Family Name - First Name" like Hyoudou Issei.
To clarify :

Translations :
- "Family Name - First Name" order, regardless of the name's form : I agree.
In the Names and Terminology page :
- Names written in Japanese in the "Family Name - First Name" order : Keeping it (like Issei's name).
- Names written in katakana in the "First Name - Family Name" order : Keeping it (like Rias' name).

And thanks for the edits. I'll check them tomorrow.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Misogi wrote:Reposting my edited message.

To clarify :

Translations :
In the Names and Terminology page :
- Names written in Japanese in the "Family Name - First Name" order : Keeping it (like Issei's name).
- Names written in katakana in the "First Name - Family Name" order : Keeping it (like Rias' name).

And thanks for the edits. I'll check them tomorrow.
I'll leave that to you then, I'll just add the nicknames and kana for today. Let's do as you proposed.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Ok, I'll do it tomorrow.
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Misogi wrote:Translations :
Wouldn't it be easiest to just follow the order in the original text, i.e. what the author wrote without any rearrangement?

In other words, native order... Family name first for eastern languages, first name first for western/devil names?

Of course, on the Terminology page, for extra information we could use a convention such as bold or italics to indicate which part of the name is the family name. However, it doesn't seem necessary to rearrangement names.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

zzhk wrote:
Misogi wrote:Translations :
Wouldn't it be easiest to just follow the order in the original text, i.e. what the author wrote without any rearrangement?

In other words, native order... Family name first for eastern languages, first name first for western/devil names?

Of course, on the Terminology page, for extra information we could use a convention such as bold or italics to indicate which part of the name is the family name. However, it doesn't seem necessary to rearrangement names.
That explains the inconsistency with the naming orders for names such as Ise and Rias, maybe that's what the author was going for. Well I kept the names as they were transliterated, so I guess keep them that way for now.

P.S. You guys should double-check the terminology page and check for any errors. I'm planning on adding some new characters from the upcoming novels and some reorganizing. Should I add the katakana or kanji for the terminology names like holy-sword and demonic sword as well?
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Hiro Hayase wrote:Should I add the katakana or kanji for the terminology names like holy-sword and demonic sword as well?
I think it would be useful to add them all, since it allows anyone reading through it to spot typos or inconsistencies.

On another note, I noticed that Code-Zero decided to change Ouroboros to Uroboros.
Either is acceptable, though Wikipedia uses Ouroboros for the main article.
However, I am under the impression that the author used "Ouroboros" for a section title in Volume 6, could someone check?
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

Yeah I also thought it was "Ouroboros" but when I checked volume 6 it was "Uroboros" written in English. The wiki also includes the name "Uroboros" so I changed it to "Uroboros" as well.
We also should change the name "Chaos Brigade" to "Khaos Brigade" as well. It seems like "Khaos" is acceptable even when "Chaos" should be more common. Eternal Dreamer is using "Khaos" for author's accuracy so I think we should change it to "Khaos" as well.

Also about the translation name for Sekiryuutei and Hakuryuukou.
I used "Red Dragon Emperor" for the translated name of Sekiryuutei on volume 1.
But in volume 12, one of the title is called "The Emperor of Bust Dragon". This will be the official English name for "Chichiryuutei" since the author written it in English himself.
Then Sekiryuutei would become "The Emperor of Red Dragon", while Hakuryuukou will become "The Emperor of White Dragon".
Then Great Red will be "The God-Emperor of True-Red Dragon".
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Minor question.

Do we fix the author's spelling mistake of "heros" to "heroes" or just leave it in the section titles?
Code-Zero
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Code-Zero »

For that we should fix it to "Heroes".
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Well here's what I found out about Chaos (Greek χάος khaos) after researching it a bit.

KHAOS (or Chaos) was the first of the Protogenoi (primeval gods) to emerge at the creation of the universe. She was followed in quick succession by Gaia (Earth), Tartaros (the Underworld) and Eros (Love the life-bringer).

Khaos was the lower atmosphere which surrounded the earth - invisible air and gloomy mist. Her name khaos literally means the gap, the space between heaven and earth. Khaos was the mother or grandmother of the other substances of air: Nyx (Night), Erebos (Darkness), Aither (Light) and Hemera (Day), as well as the various emotion-affecting Daimones which drifted through it. She was also a goddess of fate like her daughter Nyx and grand-daughters the Moirai.

Later authors defined Khaos as the chaotic mix of elements that existed in the primeval universe, confusing it with the primeval Mud of the Orphic cosmogonies, but this was not the original meaning.

http://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Khaos.html

Like Pontus the Sea, Uranus the Sky, and Erebus Darkness, she was an element of the cosmos, not a human-shaped god.

Chaos, is literally "the Gap." In the war between the gods and Titans, Hesiod says the earth (gaea) burned, the sea (pontus) seethed, and incredible heat seized the gap (chaos).

The "gap" of chaos is the space between heaven and earth, that is, the air. Aristophanes calls Chaos the mother of the birds.

P.S. The author's doing his homework :) Khaos pretty much ties into the dimensional gap and Great Red even more.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

That's a lot of research. I'll edit the page when I finish my homework (approwimatively in 30 minutes).

Edit : Made some corrections. Some names and Sacred Gears are missing.

And what about "Durandal" instead of "Durrandal" ?
----
zzhk
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

I vote "Durandal" (single "r").

Punctuation question concerning the Japanese quotation marks:「」and 『』

Since 「」 is usually used for speech, the convention is to use the western double quotes ("), no ambiguity there.

However, 『』 can be used for bolded emphasis, book titles, speech coming from devices (e.g. phones, or in High School DxD's case, Sacred Gears), and of course, quotes within quotes.

A quick browse of existing translations suggests that 『』 has been mechanically converted to square brackets [] without exception.

Since this usage of brackets is counter to typical western use, is it actually a widespread translation convention?

Would single quotes (') be a closer fit based on context (especially quotes within quotes)?

Maybe just keep the square brackets for specific terminology or inhuman speech?
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

About Durrandal, Code-Zero says to go ahead and change it into Durandal.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

zzhk wrote:[...] Since 「」 is usually used for speech, the convention is to use the western double quotes ("), no ambiguity there.

However, 『』 can be used for bolded emphasis, book titles, speech coming from devices (e.g. phones, or in High School DxD's case, Sacred Gears), and of course, quotes within quotes.

A quick browse of existing translations suggests that 『』 has been mechanically converted to square brackets [] without exception.

Since this usage of brackets is counter to typical western use, is it actually a widespread translation convention?

Would single quotes (') be a closer fit based on context (especially quotes within quotes)?

Maybe just keep the square brackets for specific terminology or inhuman speech?
Personally, I used [] for Ddraig's lines in French. I think it's better to use them. Or you could use italic, but I used it for the alarm and for Reynalle's voice change.

Edit : Tanninim (タンニーン, ''Tannīn'') - I'm unsure about this name. Unless it's a reference to an existing one.
----

Return to “High School DxD”