Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TheLaG
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

Post by TheLaG »

So guys! Does anyone knows, is Tatsuya BANNED in school competition? :lol: Coz he clearly overkill there, for the sake of mental health of other school students, they should ban him and forbid to go near Competition place for at least 10 km :)
Robin_Muzaffar
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Robin_Muzaffar »

larethian wrote:Re-posting my v13 spoilers:
Spoiler! :
Kudou Minoru (2nd High student), Kudou Retsu's grandson, was born out of Kudou Makoto (Retsu's son) and his sister (who married into Fujibayashi family). "There was no physical sex involved". .
Where is the fun in that? :D :?:
SandyBoi
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SandyBoi »

Afterword is out, name of next Volume is "Ancient City Insurrection Chapter" eh..
The_Great_Galendo
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The_Great_Galendo »

My thoughts on the nature of the competition as detailed in larethian's original spoiler:
Spoiler! :
So we've lost crowd ball, speed shooting, and...surfboarding, or whatever it was called. Given that any events are disappearing, I'm not terribly surprised to see these go, since with the exception of crowd ball (which would probably be pretty darn intense in real life but is obviously hard to describe in a narrative fashion), these events are basically solo performances, not competitions. They're being replaced by more active events, which is probably to the good, although the rower and gunner event sounds a bit questionable. It'll be hard to build narrative tension if the teams aren't actively competing against each other. Hopefully they can at least bump each other's boats.

The decision to split events into single and pair events, along with the decision to limit enrollment to one event per person, is probably a concession the much larger cast this time around. Last time we only saw the first year girls' events, Mayumi's and Mari's events, and monolith code, and that was all we needed to see. This time around we still need to see the girls' events, but now (thanks to Mikihiko and probably Leo, and maybe Morisaki and Hattahori) we'll need to see the guys' as well, along with the events of all the first years (the Saegusa twins, the guy from volume 12, Sakura, and the Yotsuba twins). Without splitting the events into single and pair events, and without limiting people to one event each, there aren't really enough event slots to go around. Though it is perhaps unfortunate that some of the better characters will only get one event each. Plus the steeplechase, I suppose, but it sounds like that event will be a bit crowded.

Lastly, I'll just add that it seems like the author dropped the ball somewhat, since any changes to the event structure of the nine schools competition should have been at least mentioned in volume 12. Not only is a little bit of foreshadowing good for the plot, but the changes really had to have been announced earlier in the year to be at all fair to the participants. We know from volume 1 that students start practicing for these events from at least the start of the school year, so any event changes really should have been announced already. A minor disappointment here.
Rahloo_ wrote:I'm excited to see the process for deciding the events tatsuya will end up dealing with. One of them will have to be mirage bat or icicle destrecution for miyuki those being the events worth the most points for woman so she will end up being an ace for one those maybe she will participate in steeple chase as well in turn tats would become responsible for steeplechase. It could end being that the new events are worth more monolith code was worth the most and that was a team event so maybe miyuki will end up on team event instead like the boat one or icicle destruction. I also wonder if he will end up being a tech for a male event considering that he has more friends i guess that are males n the third year or at least not as bad of a standing with the third years maybe he might do a first year event for males. I also guess that the now 2nd year females who got to know his ability from the last event might fight to be in a event with him as an engineer
Well, I'd guess at a very minimum that Tatsuya will be in the steeplechase event. It's obviously the main event this time around, the same way that monolith code was last time, so not having either Tatsuya or Miyuki competing in it seems pretty much inexcusable. And this sounds much more like a Tatsuya type of event than a Miyuki one. (Exceptions apply if the event is targeted by terrorists or other scenarios that get the main duo involved in some other fashion.)

As far as the points distribution for team events goes, I suspect it will depend on how many teams each school is allowed to enter into each event. Last time around, each school was able to earn (approximately, in a few cases) 100 points in each event if they performed perfectly, as the first year girls did in icicle destruction. With the probable exception of the steeplechase event, which is obviously being hyped this time around, I don't see any reason for the new competition to rock the boat.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Spoiler! :
Tatsuya is busy with other mission, he isn't involved in the 9sc. Though he did appear in Steeplechase event, but not as a competitor.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Btw, volume 14 title can also be translated to "internal strife within/of the ancient city". But since "strife" and "insurrection" do have overlapping meanings, and "insurrection" is a valid translation and also legitimately covers the meaning of "内乱", I chose "insurrection" for better flow and to make a shorter title. The choice is provisional in nature and may be subjected to change. Especially if people feel strongly about it. Please pass this tidbit to the respective forums you are posting at.
theAEmix
Astral Realm

Post by theAEmix »

Just curious, but do you translate from the Chinese or the Japanese raws?

TheAEmix
Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

Have the Chinese started translating volume 13 yet, I am nearly finished with chapter 0 and am trying to decide which chapter to work on next. It should take me at least a month to finish another chapter and I don't want to leave a hole in the book if I can help it.

Sashiko
TheLaG
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TheLaG »

Sashiko, thanks for hard work, we don't also know how much time Chinese translators will need to translate chapter, we know that Dreyakis can translate fast, but without any info on speed of Chinese translators, we can probably say, it's impossible to guess =) so Just pick chapter you like the most or start from the end :D
Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

Your Easter present will arrive this weekend.

Sashiko
TheLaG
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TheLaG »

Sashiko, Great present! Thanks a lot!
royaloyalz
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by royaloyalz »

Thanks!

And as far as Chinese translators go, I haven't seen anything put out by them thus far.

Their forums seemed to be filled with discussions of the anime instead.
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
Shiroikami
Astral Realm

Post by Shiroikami »

Does Mayumi have many appeareances this volume?
Guest2
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Guest2 »

Many thanks for another translation.

Mayumi's in the illustations, so it seems she does show up.

Am I the only one who thinks an army of magic using dolls will attack Japan, either because the black sage and his subordinates got his hands on Kudo's research, or because they break free from their shackles with outside help and start a revolution that causes untold rampage?
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Guest2 wrote:Many thanks for another translation.

Mayumi's in the illustations, so it seems she does show up.

Am I the only one who thinks an army of magic using dolls will attack Japan, either because the black sage and his subordinates got his hands on Kudo's research, or because they break free from their shackles with outside help and start a revolution that causes untold rampage?
Or because Kudou lets them loose and makes it look like someone else did it. Lets not forget that due to certain things happening involving him while he was a general-major, there was a rule put in place that: " ...the Ten Masters Clan shall not assume high roles in government."

I think he's a fishy old Itsuki.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”