Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - The Anime

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Niflheim
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - The Anime

Post by Niflheim »

Drowzycow wrote:If I had to storyboard the thing- volume 1 ends up as about 4 eps.

ep1: Introduction of MCs, blooms/weeds, highschool, ends with confrontation between weeds/blooms - Morisaki.
ep2: concludes fight, introduces CADS, joins student council ends with square off with Hattori.
ep3: Hattori roflstomped, explaination on how he was beat, festival shenanigans (Erica fanservice), Kihara/Sayaka fight begins.
ep4: More festival shenanigans (Tatsuya attacked) introducing Blanche, Sayaka talks to Tatsuya weed/bloom discussion.

Do you guys think that's the pace it should be going at? Too fast/slow?
As long as they don't skip stuff I'll accept any "order" of events unless it is utter chaos.
But generally first arc into 8-10 eps, more attention on Blanche stuff, second arc 14-18 eps. I'm greedy, sue me!!
Riso raknar, rann álfraudull, nordr at niflheim
nióla sótti; upp nam ár Giöll Úlfrúnar nidr,
hornþytvalldr Himinbiarga

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Give me KanColle in english please Kadokawa Games!
Lazyanon
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Lazyanon »

I was thinking they should do chapter per episode or half a chapter per episode
I have been plagued with eternal boredom and never ending fatigue.
Made a blog where I post all the LN/WN pdfs I made: https://lazyanonpdf.blogspot.ca/
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

Lazyanon wrote:I was thinking they should do chapter per episode or half a chapter per episode
Could work on vol 3 and 4, but would stretch vol 1 and 2 very thin since they are substationally shorter page count wise, leaving for far less information to work with.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Drowzycow
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Drowzycow »

So you don't think they would try to squeeze Tatsuya's first year in school into 26 eps? That's my fear for it.

Hopefully they cover up to the end of the nine schools competition using 26 eps (maybe tacking on the summer stories towards the end). Then thesis comp/flashback arc into vampire arc into another 26 ep season.
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

Drowzycow wrote:So you don't think they would try to squeeze Tatsuya's first year in school into 26 eps? That's my fear for it.

Hopefully cover up to the end 9 school competition using 26 eps (tack on the summer stories towards the end). Then thesis comp/flashback arc into vampire arc into another 26 ep season.
Full year would include vol 1 to 11. I have a hard time to see all that fit within 1 26 ep series and making it coherent and not be an utter disgrace towards the original work, guess you shouldnt underestimate them they have botched stuff before.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Serania
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Serania »

Drowzycow wrote:So you don't think they would try to squeeze Tatsuya's first year in school into 26 eps? That's my fear for it.

Hopefully they cover up to the end of the nine schools competition using 26 eps (maybe tacking on the summer stories towards the end). Then thesis comp/flashback arc into vampire arc into another 26 ep season.
I think it almost imposible to squeeze 11 volume of light novel into 26 episode anime. I hope Madhouse will make the anime like Toaru where they make 2 season (26 for each season) and only up to volume 14 of the light novel.

I really happy for this news because i really love this series. I read mahouka every day when i don't have anything to do. But i also hope this anime wont getting well in America. I dont want mahouka get same fate like SAO. Got licenced and have to abandoned by bakatsuki.
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mahesvara »

I really happy for this news because i really love this series. I read mahouka every day when i don't have anything to do. But i also hope this anime wont getting well in America. I dont want mahouka get same fate like SAO. Got licenced and have to abandoned by bakatsuki.
Speaking of SAO, if they turn Mahouka into a lifeless harem anime I will be on the first plane to Japan to burn down Madhouse's studio
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

Mahesvara wrote:Speaking of SAO, if they turn Mahouka into a lifeless harem anime I will be on the first plane to Japan to burn down Madhouse's studio
Well neither series is harem, so your money is safe for that plane ticket.

If they decide to use the numerous situations where Tatsuya looks like a womanizer or simply just surround by beautiful girls to appeal to thoes that like harems, can't blame them since it is already there in the novels ;)

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

Given the recent trends in light novel to anime adaptations, I think it would be safe to say that they will be adapting single arcs at a time. Recent examples include Horizon, SAO (somewhat), High School DxD, etc. There is simply too much material in light novels to be able to condense 10 volumes worth of material into 13 or 26 episodes, with the former being more the rule of thumb for recent adaptations. If I were a betting man, I would wager that they either do a 13 episode series that will cover at most the first two volumes (which ends the Enrollment Arc), or a 26 episode series that will cover the first 4 volumes and end after the 9 Schools Competition.

The latter is a bit of a stretch since I think that too much ground needs to be covered in 26 episodes, but I dearly want to see Tatsuya put everyone to shame during the 9 Schools Competition.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

Well, will they have enough events with this first two for 13 eps? It is rather thin on the content, specially with how much faster motion picture eats through stuff then pure text, that in contrast to how bloated vol 3 and 4 is.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

iamadooddood
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Dreyakis wrote:Given the recent trends in light novel to anime adaptations, I think it would be safe to say that they will be adapting single arcs at a time. Recent examples include Horizon, SAO (somewhat), High School DxD, etc. There is simply too much material in light novels to be able to condense 10 volumes worth of material into 13 or 26 episodes, with the former being more the rule of thumb for recent adaptations. If I were a betting man, I would wager that they either do a 13 episode series that will cover at most the first two volumes (which ends the Enrollment Arc), or a 26 episode series that will cover the first 4 volumes and end after the 9 Schools Competition.

The latter is a bit of a stretch since I think that too much ground needs to be covered in 26 episodes, but I dearly want to see Tatsuya put everyone to shame during the 9 Schools Competition.
I don't think it'll be 26 episodes. Maybe 24 or 25 (SAO had 25) but I doubt it'll be 26. (Ususally I see 12 eps rather than 13, btw.)

This anime isn't one that you can butcher without incurring the wrath of the fans. Madhouse will keep that in mind. 2 cour covering the first 4 volumes seems legit.

Or they could make it a continuous 100+ episode anime. Given the speed at which the LN volumes for Mahouka comes out, this just might be possible.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

iamadooddood wrote:
Dreyakis wrote:Given the recent trends in light novel to anime adaptations, I think it would be safe to say that they will be adapting single arcs at a time. Recent examples include Horizon, SAO (somewhat), High School DxD, etc. There is simply too much material in light novels to be able to condense 10 volumes worth of material into 13 or 26 episodes, with the former being more the rule of thumb for recent adaptations. If I were a betting man, I would wager that they either do a 13 episode series that will cover at most the first two volumes (which ends the Enrollment Arc), or a 26 episode series that will cover the first 4 volumes and end after the 9 Schools Competition.

I don't think it'll be 26 episodes. Maybe 24 or 25 (SAO had 25) but I doubt it'll be 26. (Ususally I see 12 eps rather than 13, btw.)

This anime isn't one that you can butcher without incurring the wrath of the fans. Madhouse will keep that in mind. 2 cour covering the first 4 volumes seems legit.

Or they could make it a continuous 100+ episode anime. Given the speed at which the LN volumes for Mahouka comes out, this just might be possible.
If SAO didn't warrant a 100+ episode anime, Mahouka won't either. Besides, I don't want this to be a long runner filled with lackluster fillers. I wish this adaptation to be the standard that all others aspire to.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Dreyakis wrote:If SAO didn't warrant a 100+ episode anime, Mahouka won't either. Besides, I don't want this to be a long runner filled with lackluster fillers. I wish this adaptation to be the standard that all others aspire to.
SAO was different because the volumes were being released at a standard once every 4 months (average LN rate). Mahouka releases a new volume every 2-3 months (quite fast by LN standards), which means that a 100+ episode anime is actually possible even without using for fillers to pad the anime so it won't catch up with the actual material. Each volume is also packed with details, which makes adapting into more volumes easier without having to pad in extra details.

Besides, have we ever had a LN adapted into a 100+ episode anime?
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

I was under the impression that the release rate for the MKnR novels were what it was due to the first year, vol 1-11, were pretty much written before the publications started. Them being the 6 web chapters and all. All they did was adapt, for the new format, already written work.
Dreyakis wrote:If SAO didn't warrant a 100+ episode anime, Mahouka won't either. Besides, I don't want this to be a long runner filled with lackluster fillers. I wish this adaptation to be the standard that all others aspire to.
Frankly, as long as they follow the source and don't deviate from it much I don't care if it sets the new standard, but in a way of it's own following the source faithfully might just be that.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Niflheim wrote:I was under the impression that the release rate for the MKnR novels were what it was due to the first year, vol 1-11, were pretty much written before the publications started. Them being the 6 web chapters and all. All they did was adapt, for the new format, already written work.
SAO started as a web novel too, but this doesn't apply to SAO too? (Specifically, the first 2 volumes; vol 2 came out 4 months after vol 1.)

Editing the text the way they did seems like it'd take almost as long as writing the thing itself. Besides, if I didn't count wrongly there're still 1-2 more web chapters to go. And even after all the web chapters are covered, I think it should still be able to continue at around 3 months for each volume.

At this rate, I wonder how the series would be able to end after just 25 volumes. Might not even be enough to finish covering Tatsuya's and Miyuki's second year of high school. :lol:

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”