Log Horizon

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find Log Horizon?

It was good! Please do more!
98%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 843

Im a fat cow - Moooo
Astral Realm

Re: Log Horizon (ログ・ホライズン)

Post by Im a fat cow - Moooo »

Watched couple ep. Of LH and I think Im hooked. After finished reading SAO V.13 I looked around for LH LN to see if theres one and ended up here and found my answer. Hope it gets translated and pub here! >.<
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Naeko »

Translation work on the novels has begun some time ago. Since the first novel is already covered by the existing anime episodes, book 2, chapter one and two of the novels is translated by anonymous of 4chan and is available at the URL below. Do not read if you don't want to spoil the upcoming future anime episode.

[links removed upon licensing]

Since 4channers don't have a baka-tsuki wiki project to edit and improve grammar, they resorted to pastebins for the various novel chapter versions such as the one above. The translation for chapter one includes feedback from the 4chan thread hosting it. Unlike baka-tsuki, a 4chan translation might be less formal. In this case, the translation source was a chinese (ZH) epub. Thus, the translation path is: japanese (JP) --> chinese (ZH) --> english (EN)

The author posts his novel online. This qualifies as the raw japanese source for baka-tsuki translations. Posting this URL doesn't violate baka-tsuki anti-piracy rules because this is the location where the author posts his LH online novel for people to read freely. You can read seven volumes (or use machine translation) at:
Japanese novels: http://ncode.syosetu.com/n8725k/
LH info wiki: http://www26.atwiki.jp/loghorizon/

*FOLLOWUP*
Per the FAQ requirement that the story is not currently licensed in english form, the related question was asked of the author in the 4chan thread. When looking up the exact words in the thread, see response number 95484210 posted by mamare touno.

Question: Are you considering an English release if Log Horizon will be popular or is that out of the question?

The author replied with:

Translated Answer: Getting the LNs translated into English is a bit complicated. Japanese books rarely sell when translated.

This answer implies that the online novel (which was then commercially edited and published as light novels) is currently not licensed. Also, the most likely would-be licensor Yen Press has no announcement of Log Horizon translated book release date.
Last edited by Naeko on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
moneng85
Reader

Post by moneng85 »

Naeko, thank you for finding this link, i can't read japanese so this link is very helpful to me. i wish more translation would be translated ^.^
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

The next step is for someone to post in this thread that they will work upon translating the light novel. Otherwise, there will not be any main project page for Log Horizon. In anticipation, this was uploaded in hope that it will appear on the Log Horizon main page expected to appear at:

Log Horizon Translation Project Page:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... og_Horizon
The above LH Project Page will be deleted 6 days from now if there is no translator and translated content
Special Note: It is indeterminate at this time whether or not to use the Author's Novel Version or the printed light novel version as the source material for translation. This should be resolved before uploading translations to the Log Horizon translation project page URL above. One advantage of using the author's version is that it is freely available and if the project becomes licensed, the translation doesn't have to be deleted from Baka-Tsuki because it is a translation of the author's officially released public free online version.

Anticipated cover image for LH Main Page:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/image ... olumes.jpg

*FOLLOWUP #12*

Chapter 3 is being translated and commented upon in the 4chan thread at [link removed upon licensing] so if you have editing suggestions on the translation, please make them. Since there is no wiki site to post to, posting to the 4chan thread was the next choice.

An updated edit of 4chan's translations for chapter 1 & 2 (and eventually 3) of Book 2 is available at:
[link removed upon licensing]

Note that the "teaser" version of the Log Horizon Translation Project Main Page has now been uploaded. It awaits approval by Baka-Tsuki staff which will not be granted until a translator posts in this thread that s/he will be working on this project. However, translations can be uploaded to it now in anticipation of future project approval.
Last edited by Naeko on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vin
Astral Realm

Post by Vin »

Hi. I noticed that there's a section on the teaser page for "Wikis", so I decided to chime in.

I'm currently trying to establish an English wiki for Log Horizon at lh.oksub.me, and I was thinking that it would be prudent to add it to the list of wikis once the project kicks off.

The reason I''m asking in advance is because I'm not sure if linking to off-site non-Japanese resources is against B-T regulations.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

There is no such thing as the start of a teaser page. The start of a teaser has to, obviously, be accompanied by content preferably from published versions of the novels as per the standards practiced in BT.
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

KuroiHikari wrote:There is no such thing as the start of a teaser page. The start of a teaser has to, obviously, be accompanied by content preferably from published versions of the novels as per the standards practiced in BT.
As you indicated in the TALK section for the Log Horizon "teaser" page, you would be deleting the page in X days if it didn't meet requirements.

As to requiring translations be from the commercially published light novels as opposed to the updated novel versions the author has posted online, I can understand that sentiment. Still, I was under the impression that many past parts of baka-tsuki's light novel translations were japanese-->chinese-->english translations and not japanese-->english due to the timing of the availability of materials at the time those translations were made. Those concerns had already been voiced in 4chan discussion threads and IRC, along with simply hosting Log Horizon on a different wiki (another wiki had offered to host Log Horizon translations). The other alternative is that another site be used to host the books and new chapters as downloadable files which many readers like to have for offline reading.
Last edited by Naeko on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

It really depends of the translators and the series. Some translations are from Japanese, others are from Chinese.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

OK. I suppose most readers will see that deletion of the Log Horizon page will see it as a vote to host the translations elsewhere. No matter, wherever it appears, people will go read it or download it. To the vast numbers of readers, the location doesn't matter as it's just a URL to them.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

While the practice here is the use of published novels, that isn't the main issue. The main issue is that there is an teaser page with no content or proclaimed contributor(translator of course) to provide content.

Now really, what going to disappear from my act of deletion? There's nothing there now. The general practice is for the contributor to create or to request the creation of the teaser(let's not even mention a full project), then this contributor will submit his work onto the wiki. There must be content for a teaser to tease something.

Just imagine every fan went ahead creating project pages of the series they like without any content.

To simply put it, there'll be no deletion if the page wasn't created in the first place. Just wait for a translator to appear first.

As for Web vs Published, it is something that can be dicuss when we actually have the content. Regarding the web version, am I right to say it doesn't come with illustrations?
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

You're very correct. The author's online free versions don't have the illustrations. The commercially published light novels are the only complete single-source material for a complete traditional Baka-Tsuki translation project.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... arning:ATP

Everything is mentioned in the guidelines.

Regarding web vs published, we've already define some kind of rules based on SAO.

Web versions have to be clearly stated to be web versions. There may or may not be differences between the two editions but we're not to pass off one for another. As such, web versions cannot use published novels' cover pages or their illustrations.

Edit: I've went ahead and adjusted some stuff. However, my point from the very start was the lack of content. If the pastebin link's owner allows BT to put their links on to the project page, then I will put those links there, and deletion is no longer necessary. I've also check those links, and they are based on the published version of the novel, regardless of the language medium.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

If you need to settle this matter asap, well, maybe a member of BT should personally ask them if it's possible to post their translations.

If no one wants to do it, then I can try to see what I can do.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

4chan /a/ continues its translation of Book 2, Chapter 4. 4chan also has its own googledocs archive but those are not editable by everyone in order to prevent wholesale deletion by white knights of the round table. However, the 4chan thread for chapter 4 does have links to a googledocs version for the prior chapters if you wish to read them all.

[link removed upon licensing]
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

The content doesn't have to be placed on BT. It can be like a hosted project, with links pointing to chapter content elsewhere like NanoDesu Translations' projects here.

Return to “Abandoned”