Manga Translation Forum Section

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Manga Translation Forum Section

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:And regarding that last part... Since links to external file hosts are fine... Does it really matter if they are raws or translated work? They are still not hosted on B-T...?
That right there is the big question. As it is now we can't do that. Someone would have to talk to Big Boss about allowing that many images to be stored on the B-T server. If it is not within his budget/aim for B-T then offsite hosting is the best alternative.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote: And regarding that last part... Since links to external file hosts are fine... Does it really matter if they are raws or translated work? They are still not hosted on B-T...?
hmm...

you have a point.

Before we made it clear that you are not allowed to post a link on the public forum to a location where you can find raw translated images, as this is considered distribution of copyright materials that native readers of the source material can easily obtain instead of buying the publication. but we are aware of the hypocrisy, as they are easy to obtain regardless of a link on this forum or not. Never-a-less we are amicable to uphold this charade due to common etiquette.

However on the other hand we allow users to post links to works, linked to Baka-Tsuki translation efforts, i.e. PDF of novel scripts, scanlations of manga spin-off from one of our projects etc etc.

Its a dilemma.
:roll:

hmm....

I think the principle here, is that we do not wish to be seen to actively encourage the distribution of raw manga or scanned images of novels on Baka-Tsuki.

We do not wish to be seen as a "portal" to obtain these images for others, without the principle focus on the translation element of the text.

For novels it is a easy effort rule to enforce, you are allow to paste/type source script from novels on the forum in comment form, as this is an active concentration on the script, only illustration found in the novels are acceptable.

But for manga, this is difficult, as the images are actively part of the plot and story and the script is actually just 1/3 of the experience.

My mind is still on the idea that if you need to post a link with raw materials, you can still do this in the administration forum, after all, only editors and translators have access.

I think it will be ultimately pointless to create another restricted sub-forum. We know how that worked out during the time of the ZNT collaboration.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

So basically in the end, is this idea rejected?

Since if allowed, B-T is also a "portal" to obtain stuff as long as the people have the rights.

Up until now, i believe that direct links to external hosts for raw materials/images are still not allowed, and people tend to use PMing mainly...?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”