.ePub and/or eReader support?

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

LaoShanLong
Astral Realm

.ePub and/or eReader support?

Post by LaoShanLong »

You've heard of them. Those expensive, impressive ereaders with e-ink displays that mimic paper pretty well. I recently got one, and after toying with it, I figured out how to create my own ebooks in what is now the standard file: the epub.

The ereaders are great; it's like you're reading a real book. I think the projects here at Baka-Tsuki would be perfect for ereaders.

.ePub is the standard file for ebooks. It's basically a .zip with a couple files that tell the reader what to read in what order inside the .zip archive. It's simple enough; there are some automatic converters that do a decent job (especially at create .epubs for manga), but the way the translations are formatted on Baka-Tsuki means there'd need to be some effort put in.

I've started my own little project in which I create polished ebooks of comics for ereaders. These .epubs have the proper covers, tables of contents, metadata (author, publisher, publish date, title, etc.), etc.

I'm going to be creating my own .ePubs for personal use out of the translations posted here, but I thought I may as well offer to create "semi official" .ePubs, if I'm going to be putting that much work into organizing them.

My question is, is that OK? As I come across the books here, I'll convert them to a polished .ePub, which I could then pass on to an admin or whoever, who could then add that as a choice for viewing. It doesn't destroy what's been done here, it doesn't supplant it, it only supplements it, adding more options. Options that are more polished, and more like what a professional ebook might be like, if it were made by a dude in a basement.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”